Nerves...

Reaction score
To tell the truth, when I'm out in a rather public area and I know there're watching me fly over everything....asking questions, making comments good and bad....my thumbs will shake.....they would not know this because outwardly from a short distance away I look confident, but on the inside I'm screaming....how about you?

I wasn't going to tell everyone, but since you mention it. Mine shake so bad I think the bird is really confused by my control inputs. I blame it on the wind.

I keep thinking I'll get over it, especially after I do run into something and it can still fly. It's alright to run into a tree now an then. Just make sure you do it close to the ground going slow. :lol:

Everyone asks "what is it"

but yeah can be annoying when you just want to fly.. The more you talk/do it in public easier it will be..

Being distracted at lot when flying so I am going to get some cards printed.

What it is and basic specs inc. price.
Also a link to my YouTube vids, perhaps my email address.

Stick them in my pocket and give them out with an apology that I cannot talk now as I am filming.

paulajayne said:
Being distracted at lot when flying so I am going to get some cards printed.

What it is and basic specs inc. price.
Also a link to my YouTube vids, perhaps my email address.

Stick them in my pocket and give them out with an apology that I cannot talk now as I am filming.

They make T shirts.

To OP - I use to have a case of nerves when flying but after accumulating a small fleet I'm usually to focused on project to even care what they're watching or saying. When using the Ground station I'll chat w/folks but that's about the only time.

I usually stop at Taco Bell before I head to the public park to fly my Vision+. Order up a couple of the spiciest, beaniest Chalupas on the menu and wash it down with a large soda.

All the fermented CO2 + methane that comes blastin' out of my rear end is a nice way to repel strangers and their dumb questions --- I can fly in peace! :p

Sadly, I've scared away a couple sexy MILFs who were curious about the Phantom and wanted to ask questions. Maybe I need to rethink my tactics? :cry:

I have a favorite go to spot close to home when I just want to get some battery time. It's within the neighborhood along the main road coming in....nice tree lined road with sidewalks on both sides...my spot is just the other side of a row of trees beyond the sidewalk...the open area is big enough to fly freely, yet surrounded by 30 foot trees...no problem. The real problem is the people walking by with there dogs or mistress' and they all say polite things....here's the cake...one gent on the opposite side of the street walking his rat started shouting all the usual questions.....I went to station keeping to answer his first couple questions then proceeded to enjoy my drone......more yelled questions started to come.....I'm thinking WTF and went into station keeping once again.......put my hand up to my ear, gesturing...I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! and proceeded to fly.......I don't get some people......
The cool factor is awesome and I don't blame them for looking and asking.....it's actually better when they come right up next to you and observe....

IflyinWY said:
I wasn't going to tell everyone, but since you mention it. Mine shake so bad I think the bird is really confused by my control inputs. I blame it on the wind.

Just out of curiosity, are you flying with your thumbs on top of the sticks? The reason I ask is that when I fly or drive any RC in that position my hands tend to shake, especially when I'm trying to hold the transmitter up. They don't shake as much when I let the transmitter hang and hold it against my body for leverage. It goes away completely when I hold the sticks between my thumb and forefinger.

What I'm getting at is that in my case "the shakes" come from the way I hold the transmitter and not because of nerves.

I flew at a fairly busy campsite and that made me nervous the first time. And it was windy. But I kept it together. I also flew off a boat and that also made me nervous. I wait until I feel good before I take off. If I feel uneasy or unsure I don't take off. I was the same when I was a paraglider. The odd time I just left my gear in the bag and didn't fly. Confidence is key for me. I also really enjoy showing people what it can do, but I have yet to see anyone get heated about me flying.

I have been presribed by my doctor, years ago, a very common and inexpensive beta blocker that is often used by people who have a fear of speaking in public, or have a fear of heights, and their job requires them to go up in scissor lifts. I speak in public and i have to shoot from high perches sometimes. Works great, with no ill side effects. Sometimes, especially in the beginning, i would take one when i flew my Phantom. It really helps. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol
Its called propranolol.

Koz said:
IflyinWY said:

Just out of curiosity, are you flying with your thumbs on top of the sticks? The reason I ask is that when I fly or drive any RC in that position my hands tend to shake, especially when I'm trying to hold the transmitter up. They don't shake as much when I let the transmitter hang and hold it against my body for leverage. It goes away completely when I hold the sticks between my thumb and forefinger.

What I'm getting at is that in my case "the shakes" come from the way I hold the transmitter and not because of nerves.

Yep, Thanks Koz,
I'll bet you are correct. No lanyard, thought that was on my sailboat. Just thumbing the sticks. I used to know better but those days have gone bye.

I use a finger and a thumb when I am trying to be precise with my control inputs. I've done this when making a ground based video of my flight.

Hope the OP reads this. :D

The underlined text was edited to clarify what I said.

A recent fly brought up a "worry" for a few seconds. I popped my quad up and looked at the tablet to check camera position, then looked up at the noise I heard and thought what the heck is it doing over there? The quad was about 200 feet to my right. It took a few seconds of worry as to why, then I realized that one had 6 props! The unknown person with the hex was about 1/4 mile down the road from me. Sand dune blocked our vision of each other. Had a nice long chat with him after landing.
Most of the nervous times would be if there are people around. Would not want them to see it crash.

IflyinWY said:
I wasn't going to tell everyone, but since you mention it. It's alright to run into a tree now an then. Just make sure you do it close to the ground going slow. :lol:

HA....did just that yesterday..... had been away for a week and wanted some fun time with "ET" (the pet name my GF gave it) and within moments of being up in the air ran right into a small tree....low and slow.....chewed up a blade.....called it a day.... :)

I still get a case of the nerves when I'm flying an important project and people are watching. Been flying my P2 for almost a year now and still get nervous sometimes. Par for the course when flying something this expensive. But... it's still fun as hell! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20