Nepal Himalaya - Khumbu 3 passes trek with Phantom4

Reaction score
I traveled to Nepal Himalayas in February this year with Phantom4.
The 16 days treking journey was really hard, but the scenery was very impressed and fantastic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The 16 days treking journey was really hard, but the scenery was very impressed and fantastic.

Nice looks cold ,,:eek: but WOW to beautiful place:)

Reactions: GolfPro8888
Did you obtain a permit? It seems to be a convoluted process with a lot of approvals required from local authorities to accompany the application.

Amazing footage. Thanks for sharing. What was your maximum elevation from ground?

Last edited:
Amazing footage. Thanks for sharing. What was your maximum elevation from ground?

Max take off altitude was 5800m and max elevation was 500m

Attachments

• IMG_1434.PNG
    IMG_1434.PNG
    291.3 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: OOO
Did you bother to get permits to fly?

No, I've been shooting without permit. I checked how to get permit before begin trek, the Permit cost was too high and it took a lot of time to issue permit, so I just filmed without permission.

No, I've been shooting without permit. I checked how to get permit before begin trek, the Permit cost was too high and it took a lot of time to issue permit, so I just filmed without permission.
Thank you... My predicament also. That's helpful info (I was thinking about leaving the phantom at home and just buying a Mavic in Kathmandu). Any problems with at customs with an AC?

Thank you... My predicament also. That's helpful info (I was thinking about leaving the phantom at home and just buying a Mavic in Kathmandu). Any problems with at customs with an AC?

I think you can't buy mavic in Kathmandu... I didn't see any drone sore. And there was no problems at customs.
Charging can be done in any village, but it costs $ 3(per 1 bettery) for a charge under 3000M and $ 4-5 for a town near 5000m In the higher regions, it is because electricity is provided by solar power.

Last edited:
I think you can't buy mavic in Kathmandu... I didn't see any drone sore. And there was no problems at customs.
Charging can be done in any village, but it costs $ 3(per 1 bettery) for a charge under 3000M and $ 4-5 for a town near 5000m In the higher regions, it is because electricity is provided by solar power.
Very helpful information, thank you.....

First- beautiful film. Well done!

Second- what equip did you use for the time lapse? Looks like you had a slider - mind sharing which one and if it's motorized?
I'd like to find a decent portable slider- I assume for this kind of trip it had to be packable.

Third- how many batteries did you bring, and chargers? You answered about HOW you were able to recharge, but if single Phantom batteries on a standard charger takes nearly an hour to recharge, this must have been tricky...

Great work!

First- beautiful film. Well done!

Second- what equip did you use for the time lapse? Looks like you had a slider - mind sharing which one and if it's motorized?
I'd like to find a decent portable slider- I assume for this kind of trip it had to be packable.

Third- how many batteries did you bring, and chargers? You answered about HOW you were able to recharge, but if single Phantom batteries on a standard charger takes nearly an hour to recharge, this must have been tricky...

Great work!

1. I used shooting gears as below.

1. Dji Phantom4 - standard auto setting(no dlog) - 3 betteries with charger
2. Canon 6d (Lens 16-35, 24-70), Tripod - for timelapse - 2 betteries with charger
3. Sony Ax-100 - for zoom shot - 2 betteries with charger
4. Edelkrone slider - for moving timelapse (https://www.edelkrone.com/p/138/slider-plus) - 1 bettery
5. Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Too heavy but due to memory capacity limitations of cameras and drones, I have no choice..)
->Total weight was too heavy(40Kg), so hired porter.

2. charging issue...

I took 3 P4 betteries, 3 betteries for DSLR and slider, 2 betteries for camcoder, 1 external bettery for iphine and 1 macbook... I think I was crazy :)

I spent more money to charge than to eat :)

Last edited:
Thanks Yabawo. Appreciated.
Did you have either of the motors - the "Target Module" for panning or the "Action Module" smooth sliding?
Curious how much gear you were packing. And the Drone! Lots of stuff to carry through the mountains..... I am seriously impressed.
You must have had local help. Sherpa's?

Thanks Yabawo. Appreciated.
Did you have either of the motors - the "Target Module" for panning or the "Action Module" smooth sliding?
Curious how much gear you were packing. And the Drone! Lots of stuff to carry through the mountains..... I am seriously impressed.
You must have had local help. Sherpa's?

I have both a target module and an action module, but I took only the action module for this trip.

I took the five items listed above, some food and clothes
in the 3 backpacks
1. drone back pack (Aviator drone backpack for DJI Phantom)
-> phantom4, 3 drone betteries, drone controller, dslr, 2 lenses, macbook
2. tripod bag (Gitzo Tripod Bag GC5101 - Carrying Solution | Gitzo)
-> tripod, slider, slider action module, mini tripod
3. 65L trekking back pack
-> clothes, foods and remaining stuff

I carried only the drone backpack and porter carried 65L backpacks and tripod bags.
I had to hire a sherpa to take all of these equipment to the mountains.

The drone bagpack was 20kgs, and the remaining equipment was 22 Kgs.
I am using a Manfrotto drones backpack.I would recommend this bag pack for mountain. very useful and strong.

Last edited:
That Manfrotto pack looks nice. Good for your purpose anyway. I have a pack I love a lot for Domestic travel - but its much longer - holds more Phantom gear- I carry 8 batteries- but no place for a laptop. Mine is for the P3P - This is the current model for the P4-https://microraptorcases.com/collections/customized-cases-for-dji-uavs/products/custom-backpack-fits-the-dji-phantom-4

Which size Edelkrone slider did you take? My guess is the 2' (600mm) but maybe you had to do the smaller one (400mm) for weight & size?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31