Neighbor yelled at us for flying!

damoncooper said:
Again: wow. I might expect this kind of thing from some extreme left wing states but I never would have thought Texas would have enacted such draconian measures. Sorry for anyone in Texas.

Basically: if you fly in Texas with a camera you are looking at $10,000.00 fine for putting up a YouTube video of a park or beach.

WTF.

No, thats not what this bill is saying at all.
Read my post above this one.

That's a very gracious interpretation IMO. Even if accurate when tested, determination of "intent" is going to cause casualties.

LuvMyTJ said:
I get asked about how well it can see things and the occasional "I'll shoot it down if it comes near my property" crap too. I wonder how these folks feel about my dash cam that runs in my car every time I start it. I film hundreds of people a day with it including their car and license plates. Like everyone should know, every time you step foot out of your house (or in mine since there are security cams in there too) you are being filmed... on the streets, in retail businesses, in county buildings, everywhere. Besides, if I wanted to spy on someone why would I use a blinky, buzzy, highly noticeable unit like the Phantom?

There's a noise filter for that, and a switch to kill the lights... It can see at night and you'll never hear it coming... We'll fly it right outside your bedroom window just so we can watch your fat wife disrobe. Yup. That's exactly what we paid the $1,200 for... You caught us!!! :roll: :lol:

This might not be the most popular post but perhaps the neighbor who complained was right. First of all he was aware that a quad was flying over his house. Maybe he lives there because he is sensitive to noise and here we come with our quads making it hard to sleep in the backyard hammock? Maybe we circled his backyard, not on purpose but we were just flying and turned around at that point. but to the person on the ground it looked like we were circling around him.. Perhaps we should attempt at all times to not bother people, and if they hear us then we are bothering them. So, since a neighbor said he knew you were flying over his house, he was right you were flying over his house.

Just thought another viewpoint might aid the conversation so we can be better pilots and neighbors.

Wedeliver said:
This might not be the most popular post but perhaps the neighbor who complained was right. First of all he was aware that a quad was flying over his house. Maybe he lives there because he is sensitive to noise and here we come with our quads making it hard to sleep in the backyard hammock? Maybe we circled his backyard, not on purpose but we were just flying and turned around at that point. but to the person on the ground it looked like we were circling around him.. Perhaps we should attempt at all times to not bother people, and if they hear us then we are bothering them. So, since a neighbor said he knew you were flying over his house, he was right you were flying over his house.

Just thought another viewpoint might aid the conversation so we can be better pilots and neighbors.

I agree which what you are saying but many people blow things waaaaaay out of proportion, like the woman who assaulted a minor while he flew along a beach because he was supposedly 'spying on her'. She was arrested in this situation but they had intended on arresting the young man till he showed the LEO's the footage he captured of the assault showing his innocence. Unfortunately, it shows the paranoia the media has stirred up with they're demonizing 'Drone' stories.

Irrespective of who was right or wrong in this case it just goes to show that wherever you fly you have to use common sense and be prepared for someone to object to it. The best defence is to stay away from built up areas - which is something I do for safety reasons and the general public aggravation.

As well as this, the pilot will know the capabilities - or lack of - of the aircraft, and we cannot expect the general public to know this and your neighbour had every right to object - to his mind.

Lesson learnt.

Who's your neighbor? I would love for him to try and shoot mine down. Shooting in the air where I live......your going right to jail, no questions asked. Back in March a guy was sentenced to 15 years in jail for firing into the air at a party in Philadelphia

perhaps he means with one of these?
http://www.dronenetgun.com/

my favorite part is the "with multiple nets for fast reloading" ... for.. you know when you're being attacked by an entire swarm of us

LuvMyTJ said:
Wedeliver said:

I agree which what you are saying but many people blow things waaaaaay out of proportion, like the woman who assaulted a minor while he flew along a beach because he was supposedly 'spying on her'. She was arrested in this situation but they had intended on arresting the young man till he showed the LEO's the footage he captured of the assault showing his innocence. Unfortunately, it shows the paranoia the media has stirred up with they're demonizing 'Drone' stories.

Agreed.
I think the take away from this type of situation is that the general public doesnt understand and even fears these quads, so the community here will have to be the ones to be extra responsible with where and how we fly and also sometimes to swallow our pride when people go off on a crazy rant about spying or whatever.
Of course there will always be exceptions...you cant please everyone...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic