Neighbor thinks I was filming his daughter

Reaction score
I've known my neighbor for 10 years. He has a 16 year old daughter. She complained to her Dad that I was filming her while sunbathing at his pool. He said that she saw me hovering outside their property line but viewing her sunbath. I told him that I would never do such a thing and showed him recorded flights from that day. I never look straight down unless I want to center my landing area in my large backyard . Needless to say, I am the only one in my neighborhood with a Phantom 3 Pro and everyone knows I have flown about 250 flights. I need to understand that there are folks out there that don't know that I only want to fly and record scenes from a beautiful new angle.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

just show him the video.

Peoples mistrust of drones need to be squashed because they are coming whether or not they like it. I got into it with a guy at work and told him I can be more of a perv with a DSLR camera and a 9000X zoom lense than a drone with no magnification. He didn't want to hear it.

Reactions: Gary M
there's a ditch behind my house, once a neighbor on the other side of the ditch complained it was "too loud" when i was hovering at 350ft and about 500 horizontal feet away from where he was. which we all know is total BS. i was flying at the time and showed him what i was looking at , once he saw the screen he was totally cool with it. paranoia ...... after talking for a while he admitted he was paranoid...

Reactions: Gary M
just show him the video.

Peoples mistrust of drones need to be squashed because they are coming whether or not they like it. I got into it with a guy at work and told him I can be more of a perv with a DSLR camera and a 9000X zoom lense than a drone with no magnification. He didn't want to hear it.

9000x zoom? I want one. Do they come with Nikon mounts?

I've known my neighbor for 10 years. He has a 16 year old daughter. She complained to her Dad that I was filming her while sunbathing at his pool. He said that she saw me hovering outside their property line but viewing her sunbath.
The simple solution is to get your neighbour to have a look at your screen sometime you are flying and show him what you can/can't see from the heights you fly at.

Reactions: Jtrjr
well, recording 16-year old sunbathing girl from this new angle can also be very beautiful and exciting for some drone-pilots :D

Ferr,

That wasn't necessary. I'd be really upset if you said that about my Daughter. I'm an old guy and I stick with my old girl. I've also been flying these things for some time now and I wouldn't want anyone thinking or believing that I was doing anything underhanded. Your comment does nothing to keep us all in the air. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry

If there is a pool in the neighborhood, we should avoid hovering nearby. Your mind may be ok but you don't know how others think and react. Best is to avoid such situations and let others enjoy their privacy.

No argument will convince the girl about your good intentions, so best way is to respect their feelings.

Last edited:
Funny how one comment had the word "paranoid." That's me, paranoid. That's why every single flight I do has a file with it's video footage taken, the screen shot from the entire flight, and a downloaded flight log file from HealthyDrones. If anyone says anything I have all the back up I need. Hopefully anyway.

Reactions: steveinnc
I worry something similar will eventually happen to me. As a result, I typically fly the lot lines (between houses) and try not to hover over someone else's property if I can't avoid flying over someone else's property. Most of the time, I fly an out-of-the-way route to get back on preserve land where there are no houses and then fly over that to get to a lake with some ducks squawking or something I'm interested in. Still, with the mostly **** and rich people around my neighborhood, I'd never be surprised to get a knock on the door and an accusation. I've not seen anyone else in the neighborhood with any model drone.

Edit: In thinking about it, if someone was hovering one over my place (I have a 16 year old daughter), I might just pick a day when she's not here and sunbathe in the nude when I hear the drone. That'd be the last flight he'd fly over my place! ;)

Mike

Reactions: Jtrjr
I would like to say that there have been times when some of my neighbors have expressed that my piloting skills are very good. They comment that they realize that I try not to stay over occupied areas and that the only times I cross over their houses is when I want to cross over to a new location and not hover over any personal property. We need to demonstrate that our ambition is to coexist with everyone and understand the limitations of personal property. They can't wait for me to crash! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj