Neewer Lens Protector - Gimbal Holder ?

How is it Frank? I'm very skeptical on the ones that say they fit the S, A, 4K and Pro since for the most part the S and the other three aren't the same. I tend to avoid the ones hay say they fit all 4. I'd love to hear if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok price and when you add $ 10 will be logo NEEWER

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-24-16-00-21.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-24-16-00-21.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 219
  • _20170224_160321.JPG
    _20170224_160321.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 238
I've looked at these many times (even tried a 3D printed one because I wanted to see what a 3D printed anything looks like...). didn't like it.

I didn't find it stable enough... but it did get me to wondering why the DJI gimbal guard is as intricately (and arguably complicated) designed as it is.

But the one thing I do like better about the original is the soft texture of the lens cap because I think repeated installation/removal of anything harder will scratch the lens housing.

I'd love to hear an argument for why they designed the guard the way they did. I can't think of one.

How is it Frank? I'm very skeptical on the ones that say they fit the S, A, 4K and Pro since for the most part the S and the other three aren't the same. I tend to avoid the ones hay say they fit all 4. I'd love to hear if it worked.

The Neewer I have fits extremely well. I have read that some don't fit well...to tight or too loose. This fits the camera lens extremely well and really does protect the gimbal from movement. I'm no expert on this, new to the Phantom but I could tell you I'm happy with this.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
For these products to determine quality. There is nothing to spoil. I've got a lot of products to try. Brand does not mean quality.

I have the Neewer, works perfect for me. My DJI guard always slipped out of the slot that was supposed to hold it in place, wasn't tight at all.

I think the lesson here is that the manufacturing tolerances of these devices are quite variable, so that one might fit well, and another might be too tight or too loose, even of the exact same style. Just find one that actually fits yours properly, or use the original. Those saying the original falls off are likely not inserting it properly into the slot at the top, which is the pressure point to hold it tightly, rather than yanking on the lens or the suspended gimbal top, like with the aftermarket devices. I tried them all, from hard ABS plastic to soft rubber, and still ended up with the original, which can be fully secured with some scotch tape for extra security.

Those saying the original falls off are likely not inserting it properly into the slot at the top

On mine, the tolerances are just off - it's not a tight fit, always had to use tape . . . yet the camera itself fit so tight into the holder I'd say a little prayer before trying to slide it on or off.

As with just about anything mass produced in China, YMMV - I'm sure the OEM solution works fine for many.

On mine, the tolerances are just off - it's not a tight fit, always had to use tape . . . yet the camera itself fit so tight into the holder I'd say a little prayer before trying to slide it on or off.

As with just about anything mass produced in China, YMMV - I'm sure the OEM solution works fine for many.
My statement about tolerances applies to the OEM holder too! ;) Over the course of a year, I learned where to apply the pressure during removal, using a thumb against the side of the camera, while pulling forward on the plastic edges of the guard from the back side. Attachment was best accomplished by tipping the bird 45° on its side from the correct side, and inserting it from that angle. It was not intuitive. I never did find a good way to install and remove the aftermarket devices without stressing the entire gimbal assembly in the process. Opinions expressed and experiences are mine alone. YMMV. :cool:

I couldn't get the original lens cap off without a struggle. Once I did, I soaked it in very hot water, then squeezed it around with my fingers. That seems to have softened it and easy now to remove & replace.

The original gimbal holder is a pain. & I have even fired the bird up a couple of times as it's clear, and I didn't notice it so forgot to take it off.

They must have hired some designer that used to make those Chinese puzzles and what not.

I never did find a good way to install and remove the aftermarket devices without stressing the entire gimbal assembly in the process.

I got lucky with my Neewer, it fits perfectly. I can just hold the camera and pop it on/off.

I had one from UAV Bits, but the plastic was a little brittle. It broke when it fell off a table. The clamp fit too close to the camera cable for my comfort as well.

After a month, the Neewer gimbal holder finally arrived.

Awesome. I don't need a separate lens cap and no more fiddling with a chinese puzzle.

And my 'Remove Before Flight' key ring fits over the Neewer

Got one of the neewer ones off amazon. Ended up switching back to the dji one. In my opinion the neewer one didn't even come close to locking down the gimbal like the stock lock does. It's a pita to take off and put on but there's a reason for that. It really works.

I have my original gimbal / camera lock on the shelf - I downloaded a template and 3D printed similar to Amazon job and I can say without reservation - its the best holder / lock I used. Makes that crap OEM holder look positively daft and over engineered.

To be honest - the OEM gimbal lock - when I received my P3S ... had basically half fallen of the gimbal and camera allowing it all to swing about during shipping.
I found that once at flight site - I would open the bag and find the darned lock loose ...

The lense cap combined lock ...(mine looks just the same as this ebay item)

2016 Quadcopter Gimbal Lock Camera Lens Cover Cap Protector For DJI Phantom 3 BH | eBay

s-l225.jpg

Oh and price for the ebay item ... £0.99 + Free shipping to Australia ....

Cannot think to go back to that horrible bit of plastic DJI provide !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20