Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Need Your Advice: Crashed P3A, Rebuild? Or Purchase New?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Scott H, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Scott H

So after 300+ incident-free, joyous flights, one of my props came loose and caused my P3A to come crashing down from a routine, leisurely, 150' orbit. The body/landing gear was surprisingly undamaged - not even a crack; motors are fine. Primary damage was to the gimbal (and three props). The camera lens is fine.

My question is from the financial standpoint. Should I consider purchasing individual replacement parts at retail price? Or, would it make more sense to purchase a new, identical P3 and then sell remaining parts from the crashed P3 to recoup as much of the re-purchase cost as possible?

I might be subconsciously longing for an Inspire 1 and looking for the best excuse. haha Realistically, however, I'm most interested in the wisdom of the guru's on this siteā€¦and you know who you are.

THANKS in advance for your comments, suggestions and insight!

2. Gantech

Having lots of crash experience with other drones (walkera 350 flipped and augered in on maiden flight) if the damage as you say Is gimble and 3 props I'd fix the bird.

3. L.Chaney

You can get the gimbal fixed with 3D printed parts and save hundreds of dollars. That is the route I am taking. Hopefully it will be about good as new.

4. 70-K5

I decided to fix mine. Even with a new body they are very easy to work on if you have the tiny tools.