Need to Troubleshoot AVL 58 Transmitter on Phantom 2

Reaction score
Im sorry this is my first post, but I'm looking for a solution to a problem, which brought me here. So far I like this website and plan to stick around and help others as well..... here goes.

I crashed my Phantom 2 last week from about 10 feet off the ground. I have the h3-3d gimbal set up, iosd mini, with FPV Avl 58 transmitter and Black pearl monitor. After the crash, I rebuilt her back together, the damage was minor with a few broken blades and slightly bent gimbal. The transmitter which is fastened under the carriage via double sided tape, fell off and was dangling with the wreckage. The gimbal was a little bent as well, but after rebuilding and tweaking the frame slightly, it levelled off and now works perfect and straight again. My problem is when I use the FPV now, the signal is messed up on my monitor. I can see some of the heading and orientation information from the iosd mini, as well as the fpc from the go-pro hero 4, but nothing is stable, the signal being transmitted somewhere down the line has been damaged and the signal is squiggled, like watching a broken television. I try alternating between the different bands and frequencies, one is a little bit better than the other, but the problem is still there.

I replaced the avl 58 transmitter, thinking it was fried when it crashed. The new transmitter does the exact same thing, no improvement. I have also taken the shell off and have checked to see if any internal components were damaged, none to my knowledge. Visual inspection seems normal. I have also prodded the various thin wires that are wrapped around the gimbal, thinking the problem might be a short in the gimbal where the wires meet the various ports, but nothing changes either. I have done this as well with the wires going into the gimbal from the phantom and the wires going from the phantom to the transmitter, all while the phantom is on and broadcasting-----hoping to see any change in the lines to indicate the location of short. Still nothing.

My next step is to replace the gimbal, but I'm afraid if that doesn't work I don't know what else to do. I already have a perfectly working transmitter to try and return, still battling with the ethics of that one.

Any suggestions? Im also not opposed to having it serviced, but I live in Los Angeles, there isnt any service options that I have found out here.

Some simple checks first...
Ensure both go pro and monitor are both set to either PAL or NTSC. Try turning the go-pro off and see if the IOSD data stabilises. If so, then either the go-pro is set incorrectly or there is an issue with the link to the go-pro.

A simple $10 mulimeter will help with fault finding, so well worth the money :)

Noiseboy72, YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!

you were right on about the monitor settings.
I must have accidently changed the settings on my black pearl monitor to PAL. I changed it back to NTSC to match my go pro and PRESTO!!!! Back to flying FPV again. Thanks!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl