Need to Solder Phantom 2 & Zenmuse Gimbal

Reaction score
Can someone please help me?!?!?! The wires are different colors and I don't want to mess anything up.

Red(+) and brown(ground) are the power for the VTX, the yellow (video) and brown(ground) are the video signal.

GhostMaster said:
Red(+) and brown(ground) are the power for the VTX, the yellow (video) and brown(ground) are the video signal.

Thank you for all your assistance but I'm still confused. I'm a photographer by profession. You and I could have a conversation about any camera in the world. But, this here, has me feeling like I'm 5 years old. I still don't understand which wire to I solder to which. Here is a photo of what I have. If you could tell me to put what two or three wires together I can do that. All of this is new to me. I just recently bought a soldering kit.

The Phantom 2 has 4 wires and the Fatshark Attitudes have 5. I don't have a clue what to touch first.

Attachments

• Photo on 1-12-14 at 11.12 AM.jpg
    Photo on 1-12-14 at 11.12 AM.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 681
On the cable from the Phantom, the red lead and the brown lead right next to it connect to the red (power) lead and black (ground) lead on the fatshark input, respectively

The yellow lead and other brown lead from the Phantom connect to the video input and video ground leads on the fatshark, respectively.

So:
Phantom red <-> fatshark red (power)
Phantom brown #1 <-> fatshark ground (right next to power)

Phantom yellow <-> fatshark video (probably yellow)
Phantom brown #2 <-> fatshark video ground (right next to video, probably black or brown)

BTW, if you plug the 5-wire cable for the fatshark in to the transmitter, the little diagram on the heatsink tells you which wire is which

Also, the white wire in the fatshark cable is for audio, and won't be used when connecting to the Phantom

OI Photography said:
On the cable from the Phantom, the red lead and the brown lead right next to it connect to the red (power) lead and black (ground) lead on the fatshark input, respectively

The yellow lead and other brown lead from the Phantom connect to the video input and video ground leads on the fatshark, respectively.

So:

Phantom brown #2 <-> fatshark video ground (right next to video, probably black or brown)

BTW, if you plug the 5-wire cable for the fatshark in to the transmitter, the little diagram on the heatsink tells you which wire is which

Also, the white wire in the fatshark cable is for audio, and won't be used when connecting to the Phantom

OK...now I got ya!! Thanks!!!

OI Photography said:

So:

I screwed up something...I saw smoke. Do i tie the red and brown together? Or do I tie the red to the red on the copter and the brown to the black? Then the yellow to the yellow and the brown to the white. I believe I may have damaged it.

The red lead from the Phantom connects to the red lead on the fatshark cable

The 1st brown lead from the Phantom connects to the black wire on the fatshark cable (next to the red one)

The yellow lead on the phantom connects to the yellow lead on the fatshark

OI Photography said:

The 2nd brown wire from the Phantom connects to the last remaining (not white) cable on the fatshark cable...probably black or brown or grey, it will be labeled "Vid GND" on the transmitter.

OI Photography said:

The 1st brown lead from the Phantom connects to the black wire on the fatshark cable (next to the red one)

OI Photography said:

The 2nd brown wire from the Phantom connects to the last remaining (not white) cable on the fatshark cable...probably black or brown or grey, it will be labeled "Vid GND" on the transmitter.

Ok, I'll give it another shot but I do believe I screwed it up. They may have to replace a piece. I'll get a shot of it and load it. Thanks.

If you seen smoke you got a problem so when you get the wirers hooked up right it probable won't work . Smoke and electronics do not go together well .
GL

OI Photography said:

OI Photography said:

The last cable (5th) is green other than the white. It's on the fatshark and it says AUDR which I believe is Audio Right. The second photo I do believe I screwed up something.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 495
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 444
If the there are two grounds on the phantom cable and one ground on the fatshark cable, do i combine all three?

Avidphoto said:
If the there are two grounds on the phantom cable and one ground on the fatshark cable, do i combine all three?

No. One ground (brown) connects right next to the power lead at the top of the transmitter (where it says "GND" right above "batt"). The other ground goes to the "GND" connection lower down next to the "Vid IN" connection.

Thanks for all of your help. I finally got it going. One issue now, I damaged it. Now it won't power the receiver at all. The light on it won't come on. I need to have it fixed. Any idea where I can get that done?

Avidphoto said:
Thanks for all of your help. I finally got it going. One issue now, I damaged it. Now it won't power the receiver at all. The light on it won't come on. I need to have it fixed. Any idea where I can get that done?

No clue, I'm afraid. Are you talking about the transmitter? I'd assume you'd have to replace it, or find a local shop who does component and IC repair, but that may take just as much time and cost.

EDIT: I just saw your post in your other thread...I'm curious what wires you think I told you to cross incorrectly?

OI Photography said:
Avidphoto said:

No clue, I'm afraid. Are you talking about the transmitter? I'd assume you'd have to replace it, or find a local shop who does component and IC repair, but that may take just as much time and cost.

EDIT: I just saw your post in your other thread...I'm curious what wires you think I told you to cross incorrectly?

Let me apologize now about that. At the time I was totally confused on which wires to connect. I know this seems simple to you guys but to me I in brand new territory here. From your instructions (this was my understanding) I was to use 4 of the five wires. To me, I could've been reading Chinese. Now another guy specifically told me to not use 3 of the five and specifically said connect this wire to that wire. But, this was after I tried to follow your directions and had already blown the capacitor. It wasn't till after that and I was able to see through the fatsharks, I was able to understand what you'd told me to do.

I'm a photographer by profession. We can hold a conversation for days about any camera or lens. This here was like taking calculus all over again.

No worries, this stuff can indeed be complex and confusing for anyone not familiar with some of the concepts of wiring and such. I think next time someone needs help with wiring I'll just draw a diagram and take a pic of it (my mspaint skills are crap), just to make sure it's as visual as possible....visual is always better when explaining new concepts ;)

Thanks for your help. Actually, that's what I wanted you to do. I didn't want to ask that thinking u were saying "This Idiot!!"

I've damaged the surface mount capacitor. The whole circuit board has to be replaced if I want to use the fatsharks. That's another $200 in shipping, labor and parts. All I want to do is fly my phantom 2. I'm now $2,000 in to this thing and have yet to enjoy it. One more week I guess.

Being in Clarksville...have you ever heard of a health and wellness company called Zija International?

Avidphoto said:
Thanks for your help. Actually, that's what I wanted you to do. I didn't want to ask that thinking u were saying "This Idiot!!"

I've damaged the surface mount capacitor. The whole circuit board has to be replaced if I want to use the fatsharks. That's another $200 in shipping, labor and parts. All I want to do is fly my phantom 2. I'm now $2,000 in to this thing and have yet to enjoy it. One more week I guess.

Being in Clarksville...have you ever heard of a health and wellness company called Zija International?

Nope, never heard of it! Is it based here? I've only been here about a year and a half, and I work from home so I haven't even seen half the town yet.

I bought a whiteboard today, so I can diagram this kind of stuff easily for people in the future. The biggest challenge in teaching is presenting knowledge in the best way for your audience to absorb.

Btw, are you saying it's the capacitor on the Tx that is burnt out? You should be able to replace just the transmitter, I'm pretty sure it's the same exact one Fatshark sells separately for ~$70.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl