Need tips to fly in narrow space

AAC

Reaction score
Please suggest tips to fly over narrow space. Actually, my purpose is shooting video for a single house from front, sitting on a 80 ft x 100 ft lot.
Is it Course Lock flying mode under GPS is the best approach ? The location is either too small or too close to tall tree to set ascending GPS waypoints flying mode.

Question? how narrow? 80x100 feet is big enough.

GPS position hold is only so accurate. If it's windy or even if it's not, GPS error can cause it to drift a meter or two in any direction.
Tall trees can also cause you to lose GPS lock completely and it will start drifting with the wind.

Learn to fly in atti mode. If you're good enough at that you can hold it more accurately than GPS can.

Also, use narrow view so you can get close up shots from farther away. This works great if you just cant get close, but need that close shot.

Take the phantom for a walk (no props attached and hold the skids) and check the telemetry if there is a massive drop in sats. If the sat count stays above 7 at all times and your phantom is at 5 feet high then you are good to go with GPS course lock.
Make note of the time as the number of sats change as the earth continues to spin.

If all else, fly ATTI and stay on the sticks. She will drift real quick!

I had to fly in ATTI the other day to shoot a house surrounded by trees and it was NOT a fun flight. The house was near the ocean and it was breezy that day. It gets exciting when you get to an altitude and spot where the wind is not blocked by the trees. All it takes is a little bit of wind and it really drifts in ATTI mode.

Here are some tips that may help:

1. Hold the sticks near the base with your thumb and forefinger so it's easier to make small, corrective movements to the flight.
2. You fly the bird and have someone else holding your phone/tablet and taking the pictures.
3. Be patient, especially if it starts to drift. You focus on the flight while the other person worries if they got the shot or not.
4. Take lots of pictures. If you are having a hard time controlling in in ATTI mode with the wind making it drift don't expect to take one or two shots and get the perfect photo.
5. ALTITUDE IS YOUR FRIEND. Try and set the shot in an area where you can gain altitude above the trees if things start to get hairy.

If at all possible, set your home point in a clearing away from where you are flying and at an altitude above the highest object between where you are shooting and the home point. Hopefully if things go bad you can climb above the trees and RTH to regroup and start again. Whether or not you set your home point away from the target pick out a safe landing spot before you fly. Where I was shooting I saw that if I needed to I could climb out above the trees over the house, hover, then walk out back and land on the golf course.

Thanks for all constructive suggestions.
My priority is find a no man land to practice my flying skill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.