Need some help

Reaction score
I need a bit of help and I'm hoping all the experience here will guide me in the correct direction.

First I want to say I love this forum! I have learned so much so that you, thank you, thank you!

I did a lot of searching and reading, but I have not come to a solution yet. I also have not contacted DJI support yet.

I just relieved my Phantom 3 Advanced Tuesday. I had a few good flights with no problems. I was loving it to say the least. Before my first flight I had to update the controller. It did it via wifi of my iPhone six I use on the controller. After all that was done I still had some notifications under the status page saying I needed to update the battery, camera, and aircraft. The unit still allowed me to fly with no issues despite the need for updating. I put in 6 solid flights with no issues. On the seventh flight I booted up like normal and boom. No signal red button at the top of the screen. The P3 flys with no problems just no video feed at all.

So I figured I needed to do a firmware update. I followed all the procedures and then some but it will not initiate a firmware upgrade. I shut down the P3 put in the freshly formatted card with the firmware in the root directory. I boot up the P3 and it does its normal boot routine. The first time I let it sit for an hour. The entire time it was doing the finished update beep pattern but with a longer space in between repeats. I shut it down and checked the card. No text file.

I tried it over and over on every way. Formatted in aircraft and out. I even started with the oldest update In case I had to do it in order from oldest to newest. The camera does recognize whether there is a card in the unit or not. I have not confirmed if it still takes pictures yet despite the lack of video feed. I will asap.

I'll include some screen captures that I think apply.

The channel bars pictured below bounce all over the place and the colors change from green to blue in random ways.

Any ideas? Or further info I need to provide?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440689238.556410.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440689255.403287.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440689267.673781.jpg

The last picture shows the transmission settings in custom. It's the same both ways. I took the screen shot when I was trying to use individual channels.

msinger thank you for the fast reply. In your link it never does step 8. I repaired the card accordingly. But the parts in step 8 never happen.

Try reinstalling the latest firmware. Follow these instructions exactly:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-phantom-3-firmware-if-using-dji-go.50065
@msinger - I must say that you sure do post this link A LOT when this same question arises every couple of days. Also, you definitely are very fast with your replies to members with questions. Super fast in fact. Do you just wait for questions so you can reply immediately? Its awesome, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering how you do it so fast.

Reactions: Fplvert
I was hesitant to post my questions as it seems so basic, but after endless searching I have not found anything solid on the phantom 3 being able to read and write to the memory card, but not initiating a firmware update, and still I'm crossing my fingers hoping that will solve the no video signal issue.

I appreciate his fast response but all those steps have been followed many times over and with different cards and readers, and with different formations and what device formatted it lol

During what step does the update fail? Any status on the LEDs?
Have you tried downloading the FW file again?
With what settings did you format the card?

I don't believe it ever starts the update. I never get a alternating green/red led on the gimble. After boot up it does give me a series of fast flashing green and the then a set of softer beeps once that sound like what it should when firmware is done. Then a minute space and that all repeats itself. No text file on card.

I have downloaded the FW probably six times. Even tried the older ones.

I am on a MacBook Pro and tried with both of the DOS options. I also formatted in camera and brought it over to the computer to put FW on the card. Every time in the root directory.

Since you got it new on Tuesday, perhaps it already has the most current FW? Does the SD card say anything like that when you look at the files? Maybe just reinstall the app itself if you know the FW is current.

Post a screen shot of the contents of the SDcard prior to putting it in your P3.. we will see what you are doing wrong.

RDIT: Im betting we see a zip file

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
@msinger - I must say that you sure do post this link A LOT when this same question arises every couple of days. Also, you definitely are very fast with your replies to members with questions. Super fast in fact. Do you just wait for questions so you can reply immediately? Its awesome, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering how you do it so fast.
Hes advertising himself! Im betting a pretty good chunk of income is flowing from affiliate payback. Good move! Somebody was bound to figure it out!

Oso. There is no text file on the card when I pull it out after the update attempt. I was thinking along the same lines as you that maybe it's the app it's telling me I need an update when I don't. So I uninstalled restarted the phone, and then reinstall the app. Still showed that I needed an update.

III% Steve I'll get that screen shot as soon as I can get back to computer.

Oso. There is no text file on the card when I pull it out after the update attempt. I was thinking along the same lines as you that maybe it's the app it's telling me I need an update when I don't. So I uninstalled restarted the phone, and then reinstall the app. Still showed that I needed an update.

III% Steve I'll get that screen shot as soon as I can get back to computer.
I didnt see anywhere that you said what tablet you are using.. maybe missed it. If you are using an android you have to delete the DJI folder after uninstalling. Rebooting the device does nothing. If you dont delete the folder you are essentially only re-adding the shortcut on the screen to start the app. All the old data is retained.

Ok let me derail this a little. Same situation but a work around solution I guess.

The place I got it from said they will replace the unit for me no questions asked since it is only a few days old. I'm going to just exchange it for a new one, but after that what is the proper order for doing updates. Should I do the FW update on the aircraft first and then the controller?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik