Need some help-want to reduce yaw speed/sensitivity

I have a Futaba T8J and this worked brilliantly for my Flamewheel F450....it turned out to be the perfect solution, so thanks guys! Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

My problem in yaw was that when I released the stick abruptly, the F450 would wobble/oscillate horribly for about a 1/2 second in an effort to promptly stop rotating. Looked like it was on a water bed that someone dove onto. :lol:

It is really neat to have the D/R setup and invoked while you pirouette in front of yourself and then throw (in my case) switch D on and off and see it slow down and speed up. Very cool!

PF

Like I said-this thread should be a "sticky".
I tested out my B switch yesterday, and the yaw rate was smooth and controlled-much nicer. BUT, it was still a little too fast on the initiation, so I changed the 90% to 75%, and left the others at -40%.
AND, I followed the instructions in the Youtube video that was posted, and changed both pitch and roll, to 90% and -60% on both.
Now, we'll see what happens when I throw switch B-since all 3-axis are "tamed".

I'm hoping for a smooth "film mode"........I can also just flip the switch up-and I know how to fly with full sensitivity. But, with "tamed" mode-this might actually let me watch my FPV monitor a little more and concentrate on framing the shot.
Stay tuned!!!

OH, I also have a new monitor mount coming for my T8J-courtesy of Heli-World. The original mount they sent me with the Eagle Eye FPV system doesn't fit the T8J..but they have a mount that does!!! So, if you have the radio I have, and are thinking of ordering that FPV system(it's awesome)...make sure you tell them. Now, I just need to get "Cloverleaf" antenna's-as my range is a little short for what I do.

Yeah, it should be, but probably WON'T be because only a small fraction of Phantom owners install Futaba or other non-DJI Rx/Tx in their birds. Their loss (maybe literally!) :lol:

My Fatshark Attitude goggles are back ordered, but rumor has it they're in next week. I already received my Bluebeam Ultra antenna set, which I will swap for stock right at the outset. Since I'll be using goggles, I won't need the bracket, but it's good to know one is available if I hate the goggles and want to switch to a screen.

PF

PhantomFan said:
Yeah, it should be, but probably WON'T be because only a small fraction of Phantom owners install Futaba or other non-DJI Rx/Tx in their birds. Their loss (maybe literally!) :lol:

My Fatshark Attitude goggles are back ordered, but rumor has it they're in next week. I already received my Bluebeam Ultra antenna set, which I will swap for stock right at the outset. Since I'll be using goggles, I won't need the bracket, but it's good to know one is available if I hate the goggles and want to switch to a screen.

PF
I would never use the Goggles. I prefer the screen, and being able to rapidly see the aircraft with my own eye's. I'm still too afraid to just trust the FPV system-although when the aircraft gets too far out, or too high, I don't have much choice.

Just discovered something. My F450 will not arm the motors when the dual rate is activated. There is no CSC which will register as sufficient to the NAZA when the yaw is reduced. If this happens, (obviously) you must use your switch to disable the D/R, take off, and then flip the D/R switch.

PF

PhantomFan said:
Just discovered something. My F450 will not arm the motors when the dual rate is activated. There is no CSC which will register as sufficient to the NAZA when the yaw is reduced. If this happens, (obviously) you must use your switch to disable the D/R, take off, and then flip the D/R switch.

PF
Yea, I already knew that ;)
I just did 2 flights this morning. D/R switch up, arm the motors give it some throttle, and flipped the switch and went flying.

I found 90% and -60% to be a little too soft. So, I raised the "rate" to -50%, and stayed with the 90%. I did this on all 3 channels, as I want to keep them all consistent. IF, I feel I need to raise or lower for a particular shot-I can do that in the field.
But, softening the curves and cutting the rate in half, made a huge difference in the smoothness of my flights.

Just an update and a question; I have "tamed the beast" with my "rate cut" switch and have fine tuned it to my liking.
Now the question; Still using the Futaba T8J, and I'm using the VR knob to tilt the Zenmouse gimbal.
However, ever since the new Firmware upgrade to 1.6, the VR knob is far too sensitive, and the start/stop of the tilting is jerky, at best.

I've gone into Naza-M assistant, and calibrated my VR Knob(X1), then went into the Gimbal settings, manual, and adjusted that sensitivity from 100, down to 20....and hit enter to "write". Made no difference. Even changed it too 0, and it still made no difference.
Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the VR knob(X1 gimbal channel), in the Futaba Remote???

This fimrware upgrade fixed some issues I was having-but now, full tilt up, is basically level with the horizon, so I can't tilt the lens up any higher to protect it from the ground. And, full tilt down, is the same as before.
Remember-they have these things set-up for people using the little plastic gizmo on their Phantom remote. But, I'm using the VR knob-and no change in the Naza-M software makes any difference as to the speed/rate of the tilt.

Help!!!

Thanks all for great intel on the yaw sensitivity topic. Like Havasu, it's my #1 obstacle to great footage. My Futaba is arriving soon, and I look forward to customizing the settings per this thread. Couple questions:
1) running stock Phantom 2 radio today. Is there anyway to achieve less sensitive yaw with stock P2 bird and radio?
2) Havasu, a recent firmware upgrade to my zenmuse made my tilt function MUCH smoother. Have you experienced that? I am hopeful that latest firmware plus Futaba radio will allow smoother tilting that I have been able to achieve to date.
3) I am about to receive the "Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHZ R7008SB Heli MD 2 Transmitter" based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum. Does it have same/similar abilities to detune yaw and other flight inputs as described in this thread for the TJ8?
4) Since my last firmware upgrade a few weeks ago to the P2, Zenmuse, and P2 radio, my P2 is now fairly unpredictable on motor start behavior. It takes several tries of both sticks down and away, down and in, down and right, etc. to get the motors to start. Usually takes at least 3 tries. Never had this problem before. Based on below thread, I am wondering if I have somehow set up my P2 radio to be close but not quite there on the full sweep of one of the channels, so it's close but no cigar on getting to 100% throw required to start motors. Anyone experienced anything like that, or have well-grounded theories?

Gracias,
Kelly

answers in red

wkf94025 said:
Thanks all for great intel on the yaw sensitivity topic. Like Havasu, it's my #1 obstacle to great footage. My Futaba is arriving soon, and I look forward to customizing the settings per this thread. Couple questions:
1) running stock Phantom 2 radio today. Is there anyway to achieve less sensitive yaw with stock P2 bird and radio?Dunno, I used dual rate in my T8J
2) Havasu, a recent firmware upgrade to my zenmuse made my tilt function MUCH smoother. Have you experienced that?Yes I am hopeful that latest firmware plus Futaba radio will allow smoother tilting that I have been able to achieve to date.dunno-haven't been able to figure out how to reduce the speed at which my VR knob turns.
3) I am about to receive the "Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHZ R7008SB Heli MD 2 Transmitter" based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum. Does it have same/similar abilities to detune yaw and other flight inputs as described in this thread for the TJ8?Yes-just do a google search of "dual rate" and your remotes name. You should be able to assign a switch(mine is B), for "down", and once in that position you can change the Expo and Rate-it's a bit complicated to explain here-try Youtube, and don't touch the expo/rate of the throttle
4) Since my last firmware upgrade a few weeks ago to the P2, Zenmuse, and P2 radio, my P2 is now fairly unpredictable on motor start behavior. It takes several tries of both sticks down and away, down and in, down and right, etc. to get the motors to start. Usually takes at least 3 tries. Never had this problem before. Based on below thread, I am wondering if I have somehow set up my P2 radio to be close but not quite there on the full sweep of one of the channels, so it's close but no cigar on getting to 100% throw required to start motors. Anyone experienced anything like that, or have well-grounded theories?Yes, mine does that too, the first flight of the day. Make sure your remote is calibrated. Sometimes the Phantom just like to be stubborn.

Gracias,
Kelly

Just read through this whole thread, hoping for a solution for folks with the stock transmitter.

So - is there no way to reduce the yaw sensitivity for us?

jjwags said:
Just read through this whole thread, hoping for a solution for folks with the stock transmitter.

Yes...reduce your Yaw Gain value. I think it's at 100%? now?? Try 90% and see if that works. Go down by increments of 10% on the Basic Yaw Gain.
You can also turn your "tilt lever"(which is the X1 channel that tilts the gimbal), to change gain values, while in flight.

For a more thorough explanation of changing gain values, read here; http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6817

jjwags said:

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to reduce attitude gains for yaw with a stock tx. You can adjust the autonomous yaw correction rate with basic yaw gains, but that doesn't have any effect on yaw responsiveness to your rudder stick input, and there's no attitude-yaw adjustment.

havasuphoto said:
jjwags said:

Yes...reduce your Yaw Gain value. I think it's at 100%? now?? Try 90% and see if that works. Go down by increments of 10% on the Basic Yaw Gain.
You can also turn your "tilt lever"(which is the X1 channel that tilts the gimbal), to change gain values, while in flight.

For a more thorough explanation of changing gain values, read here; http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6817

Thank you - I'll give that a try - but - how does that relate to ElGuano's reply?

jjwags said:
havasuphoto said:
jjwags said:

Thank you - I'll give that a try - but - how does that relate to ElGuano's reply?
He's correct. He knows more about gain adjustments than I do. I was under the assumption that you could just turn the gain value down on the Yaw channel, and that would decrease the yaw response from the remote. That doesn't appear to be the case.

I have a Futaba T8J remote, so I have a switch to toggle, so that I can cut the Yaw rate down, through adjustments in that remote. Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't an adjustment that can be made, that will help you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4