Need some advice with friends drone anad video footage

Reaction score
Hey guys, my friend has offered to record some footage of us on a ride out with his dji phantom where along with the gopro footage from other riders I will be making a dvd that I will be selling to riders that want it.
He explained that he can't sell me the footage or photos as he doesn't have a license to allow that but he can give it to us for free as he wants to get more experience with his drone. He explained he can't fly close to us and can't fly out of sight but can get us leaving and arriving if we want.

My question is, can I still use his footage on my DVD and sell it without him getting in trouble?

Thanks for your help ladies and gents.

My question is, can I still use his footage on my DVD and sell it without him getting in trouble?
If you're in the US, this is technically not legal unless he has a 333 exemption and follows the requirements within.

We are in the UK, he will be flying from an open field and we will be on the road, he won't be flying directly above us but pacing us above the field.

Ah, well, I cannot speak on UK laws about selling drone footage. Perhaps someone from the UK will chime in.

Quick update. i have also emailed CAA to see if they can clarify this. ill post back the response i get from them for future users information.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

yeah thats if the drone pilot is producing content for their own gain. he is giving us the footage free of charge and we want to use it in our production but dont want him to get in trouble, he is making nothing financially or otherwise from this.

In the US, that's still commercial since someone else if making money from it. I'm assuming the CAA covers that case somewhere on their website.

so that would mean we need to get a license from the CAA to use someone elses footage that was given to us for free?

That's what it would mean in the US. For the UK, you should contact the CAA and/or check out their website. It's probably there somewhere since it's a common use case.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4