Need safety feature when flying over a pond

Forgot step 16."Don't Crash". I have put 3 Phantoms in the water due only to being a spastic on the controls, all getting that beautiful 2' above water shot of sunsets, wildlife swimming by, etc. Wonder how good they would have looked, actually got 2 back and salvaged with some replacement parts. But my current Phantom 4 seems to have less replaceable parts as did the P2's. Do have the Geterback and rely on Litchi more around water now. If you use something to block your throttle stick from downward movement, be sure not to restrict the upward, one of my dunks was due to a slight lost of altitude approaching some ducks 2' off water and I calmly moved the left stick downward......DOOOE!!
Ever see a bunch of ducks laughing? As a pilot for 40+ years, it's opposite controls for up and down and have wondered if helicopter pilots have an easier time with the left throttle control?

Yes, please tell. I was about to ask if this was a joke. $60 a year sounds great for piece of mind.

I got a policy from State Farm today that covers anything that happens to the drone, including lost or stolen. It is a personal articles policy. I had to call several agents to find one that would check with the underwriter about writing the policy. The policy is actually only $40 a year but State Farm has a minimum policy fee of $60 per year.

I only skimmed this thread but I will suggest that you don't have to rely solely on drone footage for every shot. You can get creative with extension arms and use go pros for different angles and close in shots. Even an osmo would be killer. Mix them in with overhead drone footage. It keeps your phantom more out of harms way and the different camera angles makes for a much more interesting shot to watch. You know how boring aimless straight ahead flying videos can be? So can boat chase videos. It's an old has been done shot, only exciting to the creator. But piece together something more compelling and you'll have something. That takes multiple angles from different cameras. Use all the tools, not just the bird.

Here, here brother.

Anatomy of a boring video:

Up, rotate, forward, stop, rotate, forward, stop, rotate.......

Youtube: Miami Drone Flights

I got a policy from State Farm today that covers anything that happens to the drone, including lost or stolen. It is a personal articles policy. I had to call several agents to find one that would check with the underwriter about writing the policy. The policy is actually only $40 a year but State Farm has a minimum policy fee of $60 per year.

When has Insurance ever provided total peace of mind?

When has Insurance ever provided total peace of mind?
When the CEO of an insurance company sits back on his big fat arse sucking on a big fat cigar gazing out from his corner office looking down on all the ants he has sucked into his scam and made him so disgustingly rich he will never want for anything ever again.

Or is that just a peice of my mind?:laughing:

As for the safety feature over water you could check out shapeways.Here are a few floatation devices that turned up in an email from shapeways last week.
Some are outrageously expensive;
Triskel - SAR Floating System for DJI Phantom 4 by LCdesign on Shapeways
DJI Phantom 4 Floaties (Pair) by bluebie on Shapeways
Others not so much.
Floating Outrigging For a Drone by colinc on Shapeways
Pylon Floating - Drone DJI Phantom by LCdesign on Shapeways

Last edited:
Until you make a claim and they pay that one, but then cancel you. lol

For 60 bucks, if they want to cancel me after they replace my bird, I'm ok with that...
That's why you get it.
Plus, if it gets stolen, lost, etc, all covered.
$60 bucks is nothing considering what we put into these.
I was looking at DJI Care when I first got mine. Then I read the fine print about not being covered if it gets wet.
Sorry, I'm flying over water every chance I get.
JMO

MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Diaz2010
For 60 bucks, if they want to cancel me after they replace my bird, I'm ok with that...
That's why you get it.
Plus, if it gets stolen, lost, etc, all covered.
$60 bucks is nothing considering what we put into these.
I was looking at DJI Care when I first got mine. Then I read the fine print about not being covered if it gets wet.
Sorry, I'm flying over water every chance I get.
JMO

MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
but next time NO VPS.

I just finished some trials over water with and without VPS. In my opinion, the Phantom performed much better with VPS ON. I had 17 satellites and let it hover about 2 feet for several minutes. It didn't waver more than an inch in any direction. Meanwhile, I run the boat under and around it and it stayed perfectly stable. The GoPro on the boat made it look like the Phantom was streaking thru the sky even though it was only hovering. It will take more trials before I get the video I want, but this is very promising.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj