Need P3P Filming Advice

Reaction score
Friends, I am flying the P3P and loving it, but my filming is not the best.
I'm sure the equipment is fine, but I always seem to be shooting either too dark, or way too light.

I prefer Litchi for planning flights and when it is a sunny day if I use the "Auto" exposure my videos are too dark, and when I do it manually (rotating knob on controller) it is often too light - washed out.

It is difficult to see my tablet in the bright sunlight so perhaps I am over compensating by brightening the image on the tablet with the exposure knob.

My question is, will a hood on my tablet help sufficiently or should I (on bright days) just deal with an image difficult to see? OR are there some settings I should employ in the Litchi program that can help with the problem?

Thanks
John

I'm sure the equipment is fine, but I always seem to be shooting either too dark, or way too light.

I prefer Litchi for planning flights and when it is a sunny day if I use the "Auto" exposure my videos are too dark, and when I do it manually (rotating knob on controller) it is often too light - washed out.

It is difficult to see my tablet in the bright sunlight so perhaps I am over compensating by brightening the image on the tablet with the exposure knob.

My question is, will a hood on my tablet help sufficiently or should I (on bright days) just deal with an image difficult to see? OR are there some settings I should employ in the Litchi program that can help with the problem?

Thanks
John

The histogram is your best friend when it comes to exposure, specially when one can't see properly (sunlit screens).

Here is a quick guide on how to deal with it:
http://bit.ly/2qNafKn

Thanks
John

I can't imagine flying without my Hoodman with extender. That's with an iPad Mini 2.

SB

The histogram is your best friend when it comes to exposure, specially when one can't see properly (sunlit screens).

Here is a quick guide on how to deal with it:
http://bit.ly/2qNafKn
I can see where the histogram would be helpful, also that the description you send refers to "post production" several times.
I assume that means pulling the video into another program and tweaking it? If so, can you suggest the simplest program I might use?
If I can avoid it I'd like to avoid the highly complicated and expensive video editing programs like Adobe and such
Thanks for the reply.

I can see where the histogram would be helpful, also that the description you send refers to "post production" several times.
I assume that means pulling the video into another program and tweaking it? If so, can you suggest the simplest program I might use?
If I can avoid it I'd like to avoid the highly complicated and expensive video editing programs like Adobe and such
Thanks for the reply.

If you nail your exposure when capturing the images, post-production is not a mandatory thing, although you can always improve or apply personal touch to it.

If you want to avoid it (editing), try to keep the histogram at the center, so the image will not be neither over nor under exposed.

But you have to be aware that as a flying camera, the light conditions may change a lot, like facing the sun or away from it.

So, a manual adjustment has to be related to your subject. If you adjust for a scene where the sun is behind you, it will be over exposed when you turn towards the sun. Depending on your objectives, it can be OK to be over exposed at the corner of the frame, for example.

Regarding video editors, I was a Sony Vegas user, now Adobe Premiere, here are some suggestions of free editors:

The best free video editor 2017 | TechRadar

Top 10 Best Free Video Editing Software for Windows 2017

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic