Need "OverWater" advice....

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am flying a P4 and have a few hours and about 35 flight s under my belt. Its time to head out over water and the nerves twitching again. I'd appreciate any advice you advanced flyers can give me about flying overwater.... lakes, rivers. canals, and the ocean.

Specifics including VPS system, mode, height above water and anything else you can come up with.

Thanks

Here are a few suggestions:
  • If launching from a boat, set the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover".
  • Attach a Getterback to the landing gear so you can retrieve your Phantom if it crashes into the water.
  • Fly at least 10 meters above the water so the VPS does not get confused.

Reactions: Bob D.
Don't get too close. VPS will not work right over water so you want to keep a good distance, 10 or 15 feet minimum I would say. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to have a plan in place if it goes in. Some people have rigged pool noodles to the legs to provide floatation and I would also recommend getterback, technically getterback was made for fishing poles but it works for drones too, it just attaches to the leg and if the drone sinks it automatically activates (chemically) just like an inflatable life raft on a ship once it reaches about 10 feet. Instead of a raft though it launches a buoy attached to the drone with 100 feet of 10 pound test fishing line so as long as it is less than 100 feet down you can just grab the buoy and pull it back to the surface. Ofcourse that assumes you are able to reach it, if your planning to fly beyond an area where you can wade in or swim out to it you will need a boat, carrying an automatically inflating boat with you with some ores or an electric motor or something wouldn't be a bad idea.

Be weary of seagulls, they like to attack drones because they think they are rival seagulls. Be mindful of interference to the compasses from dock poles, boats, and bridges. Watch for pressure changes that could throw off your barometer. Make sure your home point is a safe spot on land above the high water line that you can get to and you don't fly out of range, if you can't than set the failsafe to hover instead of return to home. Try to keep it in view, if it goes into the water without you seeing where you will likely never be able to find it as trackers likely will not work underwater unless you get lucky and see it floating on the pool noodles or see the getterback bouy or the water is shallow enough to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob D.
Here are a few suggestions:
  • If launching from a boat, set the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover".
  • Attach a Getterback to the landing gear so you can retrieve your Phantom if it crashes into the water.
  • Fly at least 10 meters above the water so the VPS does not get confused.
I watched a video on GetterBack... what a neat device..... great idea... thanks.

Don't land in the water. Other than that, you will be fine.

I've flown over water at 10' or so many times with VPS on. Never any issues. There were no waves though.

Reactions: msinger
As silly as it sounds.... You can buy a parachute for a drone. You may have to do a bit of research as prices vary but the idea is... If it does lose control and the parachute opens then you may have time to catch it before it hits the water. Long shot I know... But just thinking outside the box [emoji4]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use Litchi and turn off OA and VPS before doing very low water scenes, the P4 holds alt far better than my previous 3 P2's that went in the water(operator error). I love the close to water shots but it comes with high risk, mainly in the operator and your line of sight. I have getterback (with "Reward-Phone Number") on each leg. The initial low water scene here was great except the camera setting was not ideal and trees in the background became blurred, anyone know what might of caused this? Shot at 38x21 29fps, don't know other settings.

I think the concerns about flying over water are over rated - and the over rating occurs when you haven.t done it before (yes chicken and egg problem i know!)

The phantom is rock solid, don.t go too low and you will be fine, no need for flotation devices etc. Landing on water is never a good idea.

Ita easier to crash on land than over water, there are no obstacles

I have flown over a few small ponds/lakes from about 300ft. Taking the P4 to the beach next month and plan to fly over the water. I am planning on saying at least 50ft high at all times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20