Need new source for P2V Prop balancing rod

Great tip on the AH balancing rod. Just ordered one, $13.75 shipped. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
So for you people that ordered from Atlanta Hobby, what did you get? Their site shows one rod threaded on both ends, one cw, one ccw that appears to be made from stainless steel. I received two rods, each threaded on one end, one cw one ccw that is made from aluminum stock.

What they advertise...

15183_P2_BalanceRod-M_lg.png

What I got...

2reqtk1.jpg

I'll be testing them out later.

LuvMyTJ said:
So for you people that ordered from Atlanta Hobby, what did you get? Their site shows one rod threaded on both ends, one cw, one ccw that appears to be made from stainless steel. I received two rods, each threaded on one end, one cw one ccw that is made from aluminum stock.

Funny, I was looking for this thread because mine just arrived today, and they were the exact same as what you received. 2 separate shorter bars, with 1 threaded cw and 1 ccw.

KXZHh4Fl.jpg

I'll have to reconfigure my dubro to use them, it'll require one of the stands to be mounted in the middle set of holes on the base, will post pics later once I get around to that.

I just set up my dubro and tested the rods. They feel very light even for aluminum, and the only way I could get them to work on there was as you see in the pics below...the rod just barely goes through the hole in the taller section which holds it in place.

They do screw in to the props' nuts very smoothly yet securely and evenly, and the rods themselves seem to be balanced as far as I can determine. I tested my current set of P2 props, and two showed to be almost perfectly balanced, one was close to that, and the last one is a fair bit out of balance.

PxG6lral.jpg

4FcXXXLl.jpg

Ac5dXcCl.jpg

Tu1EZOUl.jpg

I set mine up almost the same way except I turned the taller side around so the tightening nuts both face the same way. It gives another 1/4 inch or so for the rod to fit into. I also noticed micro marks in one of mine so if the wheels in the Dubro catch it just right it will skew the results.

oanec2.jpg

I ordered Chinese dies from eBay at five bucks each, my next door neighbor has a machine shop and cut me one steel, one brass and one aluminum and they all work exactly the same. My brother-in-law works at a plastics factory and he used the same dies to make me a couple from plastic rod.....surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any difference in them and the metal ones. Very cheap solution if you know someone with a machine shop.

LuvMyTJ said:
I set mine up almost the same way except I turned the taller side around so the tightening nuts both face the same way. It gives another 1/4 inch or so for the rod to fit into. I also noticed micro marks in one of mine so if the wheels in the Dubro catch it just right it will skew the results.

Yeah I'll probably end up flipping one of them like you did. And you're absolutely correct, the metal is soft and mars easily, both of mine have a few scratches here and there.

LuvMyTJ said:

What they advertise...

15183_P2_BalanceRod-M_lg.png

What I got...

2reqtk1.jpg

I'll be testing them out later.

I received the two shorter aluminum bars as well. I doubt they'd work with Simon's rock glass, though they might be appropriate for a shot glass... ;)

-slinger

LuvMyTJ said:

oanec2.jpg

Thank you guys. My Dubro showed up today and I was able to quickly set it up properly by your images. I found the four props I have ready to go on the P2V, three of them were dead on and one took a small piece of scotch tape to put right. The cheap, ripoff XOXOXO blades, on the other hand have shitty threads and their balance is all over the ballpark...

Also, I'd read that the manufacture of the Dubro left a lot to be desired, which is why I haven't picked one up until now. I found that to be true, as well. I had to run one of the posts through an 8/32 die in order to get a nut on it.

I also found that if you put one of the rods through the base, without the knurled knob attached, and pulled the nut in from the other side... that it aligned the nut quite nicely and made it a lot easier to fit the nut into the base... I did that with all four, pressed with my thumb a bit, to set them a little deeper, and after putting the knurled knobs on, easily tightened everything down...

Thanks again... :D

-slinger

Now that you mention it, a few of the vertical post on mine were crazy hard to thread (no die on hand to clean it up). I also let the rods draw the nuts into the recesses. Seems they need to keep a better eye on their screw machines.

LuvMyTJ said:
Now that you mention it, a few of the vertical post on mine were crazy hard to thread (no die on hand to clean it up). I also let the rods draw the nuts into the recesses. Seems they need to keep a better eye on their screw machines.

Yep... Funny thing is, the die didn't meet with much resistance, really. It seems there may have been a slight burr towards the very end of the rod. Still, though... Being a fine tuning device, you'd think they'd have better QA... ;) :roll: :shock: :lol:

gunslinger said:
LuvMyTJ said:

Thank you guys. My Dubro showed up today and I was able to quickly set it up properly by your images. I found the four props I have ready to go on the P2V, three of them were dead on and one took a small piece of scotch tape to put right. The cheap, ripoff XOXOXO blades, on the other hand have shitty threads and their balance is all over the ballpark...

Also, I'd read that the manufacture of the Dubro left a lot to be desired, which is why I haven't picked one up until now. I found that to be true, as well. I had to run one of the posts through an 8/32 die in order to get a nut on it.

I also found that if you put one of the rods through the base, without the knurled knob attached, and pulled the nut in from the other side... that it aligned the nut quite nicely and made it a lot easier to fit the nut into the base... I did that with all four, pressed with my thumb a bit, to set them a little deeper, and after putting the knurled knobs on, easily tightened everything down...

Thanks again... :D

-slinger

So are the XOXOXO's salvageable?

I just went and looked at my spares, and yup - I have some of those, too. Haven't needed them yet (still have a full set of spare DJI's), but won't even think about trying them until I get my balancing rod and can check them out.

Atlanta Hobby does not back up products they sell, once you open the product it's yours if it works or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31