Need Insurance Referral for my Commercial Use.

Reaction score
Do any of you commercial pilots have a suggestion for an insurer for general liability insurance that knows our business. I am getting job requests from city and state departments and large developers that require this.
My residential realtor clients are not asking but I need to have it in place.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DJI00345_CB_CROP.jpg
    DJI00345_CB_CROP.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 436
  • DJI00024_CB_CROP.jpg
    DJI00024_CB_CROP.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 425
check out the verifly app, i havnt used it, but you can pay / activate it for a day or less as needed I think. seems like a good idea to me.

Reactions: SCGENE
I'm in Canada near Toronto and I will be using an insurance company called HMS Insurance. They quoted me:

$791 for 1 year of $500k liability insurance for a single craft for commercial use in built up areas. Also covered up to 1600 feet ASL thou in Canada we are limited to <300 feet. Some SFOC will grant special permission for up to 1000 feet and night ops.

$500,000 liability $700/year
$1 million liability $800/year
Physical damage (fire/theft) $350/year

Your quote will be different due to your specifics but this will give you an idea.

I have contacted about 5 diff insurance companies and most of the other ones were quoting $1500+ min for drone insurance.

If your in Canada you could look them up here's the contact info .

Brent MacLachlan
Registered Insurance Broker
HMS Insurance – MacLachlan Insurance Inc.
197 Parkhill Main St. Parkhill, ON, N0M 2K0
519-294-6871 Parkhill Office
519-294-0061 Fax

Hope this helps :) fly safe

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm in Canada near Toronto and I will be using an insurance company called HMS Insurance. They quoted me:

$791 for 1 year of $500k liability insurance for a single craft for commercial use in built up areas. Also covered up to 1600 feet ASL thou in Canada we are limited to <300 feet. Some SFOC will grant special permission for up to 1000 feet and night ops.

$500,000 liability $700/year
$1 million liability $800/year
Physical damage (fire/theft) $350/year

Your quote will be different due to your specifics but this will give you an idea.

I have contacted about 5 diff insurance companies and most of the other ones were quoting $1500+ min for drone insurance.

If your in Canada you could look them up here's the contact info .

Brent MacLachlan
Registered Insurance Broker
HMS Insurance – MacLachlan Insurance Inc.
197 Parkhill Main St. Parkhill, ON, N0M 2K0
519-294-6871 Parkhill Office
519-294-0061 Fax

Hope this helps :) fly safe
Wow, $1150 for 1mil liabilty along with damage and theft, that's a good deal. That's only $871 US. In the US the best I've heard of is $1300 for 1mil coverage liability only, but that was a year ago. I'm shopping for drone insurance this weekend at the IDE show, LA Conv Ctr.

I use Verifly as well. Did a lot of research and my current insurer was the only one that would write the policy starting at 2500 per year. Verifly is really slick.

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Drone insurance is so new the markets are playing it safe by quite high in most cases. Prob for us pilots is justifying insurance quotes that cost the same or more than the drone lol

If a city or state agency asks for insurance proof, I wonder how that works with Verify, since you aren't insured until the day you fly.

If you don't mind me asking, how have you gotten the gov gigs?

If a city or state agency asks for insurance proof, I wonder how that works with Verify, since you aren't insured until the day you fly.
Right, this is a great point. For me personally I don't know if I would ever work with agencies like this but I suppose it is entirely possible ANYONE would want to see something in advance. I suppose one could explain how this kind of "on demand" coverage works, or perhaps even show and example of a previous policy.

I've actually reached out to Verifly to see if it's possible to somehow show some kind of proof. Will post the response as soon as I hear back.

For those that are interested, response I just received from Verifly:

"Some pilots use the sample policy Can I see a sample policy before I purchase? - Verifly Support

Others put the client as an additional insured and purchase an actual policy at the area of the client site, provide this policy, and say only the time will change. In the future we are looking at pre-booking."

I know with standard drone insurance you pay based on a yearly term I asked about skipping coverage for the harsh winter months in Canada when I won't be flying but the all of the companies said they only do yearly. On a side note imagine is car insurance was on a per drive basis like verifly that would be interesting :)

Reactions: InforGuy
I know with standard drone insurance you pay based on a yearly term I asked about skipping coverage for the harsh winter months in Canada when I won't be flying but the all of the companies said they only do yearly. On a side note imagine is car insurance was on a per drive basis like verifly that would be interesting :)

Come down to AZ where you can fly year round!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen