NEED INPUT ON LANDING ISSUES/STATIC RUNS

Reaction score
Hello,
I am still very new here. I am not young and not too old. Have some old school experience ect. Anyway, go new P3A, did all the cal's, updated software and firmware. No problems at all. Fired up P3, static everything ok. Ist flight a little sketchy but just had to get used to control and settings ect. Landing no problem. Bird set down nice at about an inch or so did uncommanded roll at high rpm to front. Of course blades struck ground. Kill motors and of course rece motor obstruction warning. Checked bird out no damage just some dirt stains on one blade. Same thing happened again on completely level surface.. Luckily no damage. All cals, done, great GPS and compass cal.
Tonight after recharging batteries ect, ran static. When I picked up phantom from the rear or front or any axis and leaned fwd with motors running, the rpms immediately screamed up. No matter what axis. I tried this in all modes, same response.(Before i go further static is with out blades)
Is this a normal response from bird? EMU is fine, as well as everything else before you ask.:).
Any help would be appreciated!
Gunny Sends

Hello,
I am still very new here. I am not young and not too old. Have some old school experience ect. Anyway, go new P3A, did all the cal's, updated software and firmware. No problems at all. Fired up P3, static everything ok. Ist flight a little sketchy but just had to get used to control and settings ect. Landing no problem. Bird set down nice at about an inch or so did uncommanded roll at high rpm to front. Of course blades struck ground. Kill motors and of course rece motor obstruction warning. Checked bird out no damage just some dirt stains on one blade. Same thing happened again on completely level surface.. Luckily no damage. All cals, done, great GPS and compass cal.
Tonight after recharging batteries ect, ran static. When I picked up phantom from the rear or front or any axis and leaned fwd with motors running, the rpms immediately screamed up. No matter what axis. I tried this in all modes, same response.(Before i go further static is with out blades)
Is this a normal response from bird? EMU is fine, as well as everything else before you ask.:).
Gunny Sends
So did you land and it restarted? Or did it touch the ground then flip, if so, did you hold the throttle down until the motors stopped? If you don't the motors will start to rev up again, although it shouldn't have flipped.

Landing no problem. Bird set down nice at about an inch or so did uncommanded roll at high rpm to front. Of course blades struck ground. Kill motors and of course rece motor obstruction warning. Checked bird out no damage just some dirt stains on one blade. Same thing happened again on completely level surface..
If you use CSC to shut down, you risk tipping on the ground.
Your Phantom should shut down properly if you use the left stick down method.
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Hello and welcome to the forum. Regarding the P3P motors revving when you tilt the aircraft. The P3P is gyroscopically stabilized so if it's tilted when the motors are running it will try to correct it self hence the revving of the motors when tilted.

Gunny Sends

Yes, the P3 is trying to stay where it was before you moved it, so you made it fight to get back there by picking it up.

If props touch the table or any object, it's necessary to rebalance them. If you see any chipping, discard that blade.

Landing on unbalanced surface may tip the bird over. If you are new to it, use prop guards, all will be safe.

Noise from the bird is normal when you tilt it.

Reactions: bobmyers
Thanks for all who replied , it's appreciated ! ! However, I did not pick it up after incident when flying, I did not use CVS action ever. Always just straight shutdown . I'm not worried about prop balance issue . I'm asking about phantom making hard uncontrolled high rpm movement at 0 ft. I also made mention to static running of phantom in all modes. Not trying to be a [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] , but please really read my post.
Again thanks for responding
Gunny Sends

Last edited by a moderator:
However, I did not pick it up after incident when flying, I did not use CVS action ever. Always just straight shutdown . I'm not worried about prop balance issue . I'm asking about phantom making hard uncontrolled high rpm movement at 0 ft. I also made mention to static running of phantom in all modes. Not trying to be a ******* , but please really read my post.
Again thanks for responding
Gunny Sends

It still reads the same - When I picked up phantom from the rear or front or any axis and leaned fwd with motors running, the rpms immediately screamed up.

Now you say, you didn't pick it up

Did we all really read it wrong... lol.

What I love is when someone really thinks ,ahh got him. But ahh read the post sir, seriously

And quote the whole post not your cut and paste of it.

Perhaps you need to explain again exactly what the problem is?
I would but I already posted everything. Which, I hate to assume, you did not read. I was 1st asking about the landing issues, 2nd I was asking about moving or picking up the P3 static, with motors running. Static is without blades as I have already stated. I was hoping not to get attacked for asking questions but it seems every forum has somebody. I am almost 60 yrs old, retired from USMC and LEO. I was training with UAV's in 1986-... Stop talking to people like they are douche bags with the power of your keyboard. Everyone else has posted positive info for me and made me feel welcome. Hope you feel better now that you tried to throw me under the bus. No worries, not pissed off as I have a bit of tolerance these days.
Now looking at your profile your are a moderator, which I was really surprised. So I guess i got turned in by the hall monitors, LOL. I did not say anything bad, only replied to folks being absolutely rude. I understand rude and sometimes its the easy way out. I thought you being moderator would of read, reread all my posts. However, I understand how it works. Really depressed about this as I thought this was a good group. Wow!

Last edited:
I would but I already posted everything. Which, I hate to assume, you did not read. I was 1st asking about the landing issues, 2nd I was asking about moving or picking up the P3 static, with motors running. Static is without blades as I have already stated. I was hoping not to get attacked for asking questions but it seems every forum has somebody. I am almost 60 yrs old, retired from USMC and LEO. I was training with UAV's in 1986-... Stop talking to people like they are douche bags with the power of your keyboard. Everyone else has posted positive info for me and made me feel welcome. Hope you feel better now that you tried to throw me under the bus. No worries, not pissed off as I have a bit of tolerance these day.
No apology from me ... I was being polite and trying to be helpful.
I'd love to answer your queries and have read several times but I can't work out what the issue is.
Perhaps if you can explain in different words, someone will be able to help

Reactions: Toddzilla
I did not say anything bad, only replied to folks being absolutely rude. I understand rude and sometimes its the easy way out. I thought you being moderator would of read, reread all my posts. However, I understand how it works. Really depressed about this as I thought this was a good group. Wow!
I'm not sure what your issue is and there's nothing to be depressed about..
No-one here has been rude (with the possible exception of yourself).
Get over yourself and read again what people have said.
You assumed wrongly, I read your post 4 times and it's not clear to me what you want help with.
It looks like others are having the same difficulty.
There are a bunch of people here trying to help you - if we can just get what the problem is.
Start again and try retelling the story differently and we'll see if we can help you.

Reactions: Toddzilla
No apology from me ... I was being polite and trying to be helpful.
I'd love to answer your queries and have read several times but I can't work out what the issue is.
Perhaps if you can explain in different words, someone will be able to help
Wasn't asking for apology from you per se. I read my post x2 and except for typos a person who read, writes and comprehends the english language would understand. If you were trying to helpful then I apologize, the other comments prior thru me off I believe. As far as polite I guess you were per se. Just thought this was a great place to ask for help . Everytime I ask ect, is you need to ....
Understandable as I get older, I flew quads and then some before I got old in the Marines. Well I go by Gunny or Bob. Prefer Gunny. Thanx for your help! Will try to find a more mature or older crowd, group ect here. Was just hoping to pass on [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]. Again thanx for you time an patience!
VMU-1Watchdogs

Last edited by a moderator:

The answer is still Yes, it's normal for the motors to rev if you are tilting it in any way even with the sticks. Nobody here is throwing you under the bus, heck I had PTSD for years myself and it took a long time to realize that nobody was against me at all. it was all in my mind and I was really harsh to a lot of good friends who remembered me and who I was. Some are still my friends and some aren't but that's life. So take a deep breath and know that we are trying to help, and as far as the bus goes, we're all the passengers and you're driving :)
You have no enemies here.

Thanks for all the help. A thousand Gomens to all!!

Hi Gunny, let's try to break it down since though you used english you also used some unexpected abbreviations or typing variations that I found confusing when all thrown together in one big paragraph...

Anyway, go new P3A, did all the cal's, updated software and firmware. No problems at all. Fired up P3, static everything ok.
Ok, so from this I get that you:
  1. Got a new Phantom 3 Advanced (yay!)
  2. Performed all needed calibrations
  3. Updated software on tablet/device for DJI GO app
  4. Updated successfully RC and P3A firmware to latest releases
  5. Had no problems with any prep, calibrations or firmware
  6. P3A starts up ok without any props (i.e. "static")
So far so good and everything is working properly so you were ready for first flight (yay!)...
Ist flight a little sketchy but just had to get used to control and settings ect. Landing no problem. Bird set down nice at about an inch or so did uncommanded roll at high rpm to front. Of course blades struck ground. Kill motors and of course rece motor obstruction warning. Checked bird out no damage just some dirt stains on one blade
This is where it starts to get a little confusing because first you say:
Landing no problem
Which leads me to think that the P3A is now on the ground safely but then you say:
Bird set down nice at about an inch or so did uncommanded roll at high rpm to front
Which seems to conflict with the "Landing no problem"... but as others have said this "uncommanded roll at high rpm" is usually an indicator that the CSC command was used to stop the motors and this commonly produces a power surge and increase to motor RPMs and many people have experienced a tip/flip.

If you believe that no CSC command was done, then try to do your flight/landing again but this time record it from a smartphone/camera and post it so others can see what you mean is happening (picture and videos are worth 1,000 words, right?! )

And then later on you wrote:

Tonight after recharging batteries ect, ran static. When I picked up phantom from the rear or front or any axis and leaned fwd with motors running, the rpms immediately screamed up. No matter what axis. I tried this in all modes, same response.

So, you again had removed the props and had the motors running in flight mode and were picking up and tilting the P3A. This produced a response from the P3A to increase motor RPMs - which is normal because it doesn't actually know that you've removed the props and is trying to maintain straight and level flight position but is detecting the tilting.

This should be perfectly fine and in response to your question "Is this a normal response from bird?": Yes

Try flying and landing again, make a video so we can all see what's happening if your experience in landing continues to be unexpected and presumably without any CSC input...

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Thanks for the help ScatSpeak!! It's appreciated!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1