Need help with weird LED lighting issue on Phantom 1.1.1

Reaction score
*Update*

I realized the green LED is broken. How would I go about fixing this? Would I need a new LED board?

This is pretty unfortunate. I've only had this drone new for 2 months. Was hoping the build quality would be better.
--------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,

I'm having a very weird LED lighting issue and I can't find any info on it. This started happening after I installed a gimbal.
So currently I've seen the following:

1. Turn Remote on, then turn Phantom on = 2 slow RED flashes
2. Plug drone via USB into PC = no LED
3. Unplug USB = 3 quick RED flashes
4. When I start the motors and speed them up = 3 quick RED flashes
5. When I try to initiate GPS Calibration (switch the top right btwn GPS and ATTI really quick 6+ times) = becomes solid RED LED. This will then persist unless I remove battery or plug drone via USB into PC.
5. Shut the Remote off = Constant quick RED flashes

I haven't seen a proper YELLOW or GREEN LED since midway through a flight today. I checked the wiring and everything seems to be in place...
I was able to get a really dim slow blinking GREEN LED when it was plugged into the PC earlier.

Does anyone have an idea of what the issue is? Im wondering if some wiring was knocked loose that I just can't see or it's a calibration issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm having a very weird LED lighting issue and I can't find any info on it. This started happening after I installed a gimbal.
So currently I've seen the following:

1. Turn Remote on, then turn Phantom on = 2 slow RED flashes
2. Plug drone via USB into PC = no LED
3. Unplug USB = 3 quick RED flashes
4. When I start the motors and speed them up = 3 quick RED flashes
5. When I try to initiate GPS Calibration (switch the top right btwn GPS and ATTI really quick 6+ times) = becomes solid RED LED. This will then persist unless I remove battery or plug drone via USB into PC.
5. Shut the Remote off = Constant quick RED flashes

I haven't seen a proper YELLOW or GREEN LED since midway through a flight today. I checked the wiring and everything seems to be in place...
I was able to get a really dim slow blinking GREEN LED when it was plugged into the PC earlier.

Does anyone have an idea of what the issue is? Im wondering if some wiring was knocked loose that I just can't see or it's a calibration issue.

Thanks in advance.

Undo whatever you have recently done.

Sounds to me like you have a bum gimbal. Stop powering your bird up until you've disconnected it entirely.

Keep us posted

Oh yea,

Welcome to the party FrootLuips,

There's a link in my signature which works well if you follow the instructions. There's another link which will take you to my website, a gathering of what I think is helpful, especially if you're new. :)

Good luck and anytime you do a modification to your bird, it's a real good idea to do an IMU calibration, an Advanced IMU calibration, and the Compass Dance. If you don't, you're just asking for trouble.

Please use the search feature, we are being inundated with questions which have been asked and answered many times.

Your problem, well, as far as I know, it's a one of a kind. :confused:

After removing the connections to the gimbal, try using a different USB cable if your connection is still giving you issues.
A dim green light when connected to the computer is NOT a good connection.
Always listen to your computer to ensure "connection" and "disconnection" before proceeding.
If you get a dim green light and the sound of a "connection" to your computer, you must disconnect and WAIT for the "disconnection" sound before you attempt to reconnect.

Even with all the strange LED issues, it flies?

Even with all the strange LED issues, it flies?

Thanks. Yeah I searched quite a bit into the issue and I actually saw your link before too. I actually have no LED even with a good connection to my PC now....which is weird.

Yeah even with the LED issues and solid red/quick blinking red, it flies with no problems...
It's almost as if the LED lighting has just gone haywire.

I did crash a few times and it was always fine. The crashes are just upon landing where it sometimes bounces on the grass and just flips over. There hasn't been a crash in a while since this issue began today.

I already recalibrated everything as well.

Thanks. Yeah I searched quite a bit into the issue and I actually saw your link before too. I actually have no LED even with a good connection to my PC now....which is weird.

Yeah even with the LED issues and solid red/quick blinking red, it flies with no problems...
It's almost as if the LED lighting has just gone haywire.

LED failure has been happening lately.

Could you take a look at that part of the system?
Yours would be the third, I think..., this week with very, very few prior to now.
Good luck, good night too.

LED failure has been happening lately.

Could you take a look at that part of the system?
Yours would be the third, I think..., this week with very, very few prior to now.
Good luck, good night too.

Yeah I removed the connectors which lead from the LED board to the NAZA to test and it's connected properly. The ends on the LED board are still intact with no sign of loosening.

I actually do remember today that the yellow light was also very dim. Hmm... perhaps my green and yellow LED functions have just failed...if that's even possible.

Thanks!

Sounds like LED failure.
The LED emits 2 colours- Red & Green. But if they both are on you get Yellow.
It follows that the green has failed.

Sounds like LED failure.
The LED emits 2 colours- Red & Green. But if they both are on you get Yellow.
It follows that the green has failed.

You're right. I tested it a bit more this morning and the pattern is exactly what it's supposed to be, but with green missing.

I realized:
- Trying to set up GPS Calibration = solid RED (but green is broken so only red is displayed instead of yellow)
- GPS Calibrated with at least 6 sattelites = no LED (since green is broken)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers