Need Help With P3A Crash

Reaction score
I am brand new to this board but have been lurking for a month. I have learned so much from reading the posts on this forum. It is such a great asset.

I bought my P3A mid December and have had 20-30 flights without a single problem. I have been flying Blade RC helicopters for a few years then got a Blade Glimpse a few months ago and fell in love with quads so i took the plunge.

Last Thursday finally had decent weather, 65 degrees sunny 10mph wind, so finally got to fly...hovered at about 20 feet for a bit to make sure p3 was operating normally. I ascended to about 100 feet over my back yard and suddenly it tumbled to earth landing in my next door neighbor's yard striking a metal awning rod before landing on wood deck. I retrieved it and found small pieces of the propellers everywhere and the gimbal assembly broken off completely. One prop was untouched, two were shattered, and the fourth was missing. I searched both yards and never did find the fourth prop so i assume it flew off at 100 feet immediately before the crash.

There are scuffs on the body but nothing looks broken. I have tried flying it inside (without props attached) and it seems to operate normally. The camera itself has no visible damage. I have decided to try and fix it myself so I ordered a gimbal yaw arm and a ribbon cable and i should receive them in about a week.

I would really appreciate if someone could examine my txt or dat file and let me know if they agree with my guess that a prop flew off causing crash. I make a effort to tighten each prop sufficiently each time i fly but obviously if one flew off in flight then i didn't get it tight enough. I just want to be as sure that was the cause of my crash so i can fly again without too much anxiety. Links below to dat file from p3 and txt file from ipad. Thanks in advance you your help.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3024023/FLY041.DAT

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question -- it appears a prop flew off. Did you inspect your props for damage beforehand and ensure they were tightened properly? Some people like to store their Phantoms with the props on and never check them, so I'm curious if you're doing the same.

I am brand new to this board but have been lurking for a month. I have learned so much from reading the posts on this forum. It is such a great asset.

I bought my P3A mid December and have had 20-30 flights without a single problem. I have been flying Blade RC helicopters for a few years then got a Blade Glimpse a few months ago and fell in love with quads so i took the plunge.

Last Thursday finally had decent weather, 65 degrees sunny 10mph wind, so finally got to fly...hovered at about 20 feet for a bit to make sure p3 was operating normally. I ascended to about 100 feet over my back yard and suddenly it tumbled to earth landing in my next door neighbor's yard striking a metal awning rod before landing on wood deck. I retrieved it and found small pieces of the propellers everywhere and the gimbal assembly broken off completely. One prop was untouched, two were shattered, and the fourth was missing. I searched both yards and never did find the fourth prop so i assume it flew off at 100 feet immediately before the crash.

There are scuffs on the body but nothing looks broken. I have tried flying it inside (without props attached) and it seems to operate normally. The camera itself has no visible damage. I have decided to try and fix it myself so I ordered a gimbal yaw arm and a ribbon cable and i should receive them in about a week.

I would really appreciate if someone could examine my txt or dat file and let me know if they agree with my guess that a prop flew off causing crash. I make a effort to tighten each prop sufficiently each time i fly but obviously if one flew off in flight then i didn't get it tight enough. I just want to be as sure that was the cause of my crash so i can fly again without too much anxiety. Links below to dat file from p3 and txt file from ipad. Thanks in advance you your help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3024023/DJIFlightRecord_2016-01-14_[14-45-40].txt
It really sounds like one of the motors either had bad threading or the prop you used had bad threading, & the prop flew off mid flight, you noted that you make sure to snug each prop before the flight so it appears that is not the issue. I would contact DJI imminently and start a RMA, also where did you get the props you used, were they the ones that came with the phantom?

Also, as far as the .txt file, please go to Healthy Drones & make a account, then share the .txt file with us but please select the share option where it does not show details about your address, someone can get exactly where you live from the file you posted. Not saying there are probably serial killers in this forum, but it is a public forum & you would never know!

I think you answered your own question -- it appears a prop flew off. Did you inspect your props for damage beforehand and ensure they were tightened properly? Some people like to store their Phantoms with the props on and never check them, so I'm curious if you're doing the same.
I always remove the props after a flight and store them in the case. They were the original props and i have never had an accident so i cannot imagine how they could have been damaged in any way. I have been very careful both putting the props on and removing them.

Props just don't fall off though. Since you're certain you tightened them, it sounds like the prop might have had a damaged hub. Maybe try tracking down the prop to confirm?

It really sounds like one of the motors either had bad threading or the prop you used had bad threading, & the prop flew off mid flight, you noted that you make sure to snug each prop before the flight so it appears that is not the issue. I would contact DJI imminently and start a RMA, also where did you get the props you used, were they the ones that came with the phantom?

Also, as far as the .txt file, please go to Healthy Drones & make a account, then share the .txt file with us but please select the share option where it does not show details about your address, someone can get exactly where you live from the file you posted. Not saying there are probably serial killers in this forum, but it is a public forum & you would never know!
Yes these were the original props. I think i may expand my search area to try to locate the missing prop for inspection. That is a great hint regarding the txt file. That had never occurred to me.

Props just don't fall off though. Since you're certain you tightened them, it sounds like the prop might have had a damaged hub. Maybe try tracking down the prop to confirm?
I think that is an excellent idea. I know the wind direction so i am going to spend some time today searching for it. I was surprised i couldn't find it but i guess since it is spinning to fast it can travel pretty far away from where the p3 landed.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
From the .DAT. Clear case of lost prop. But you already knew that.
upload_2016-1-17_9-57-4.png

The RB motor shows loss of load (no prop to turn), both commanded and actual speed going to the max (trying to lift the RB)

This shows the speed of the other motors. The Left Front is reducing speed to counter the lost propulsion on the RB
upload_2016-1-17_9-56-23.png

Reactions: msinger
From the .DAT. Clear case of lost prop. But you already knew that.
View attachment 40902
The RB motor shows loss of load (no prop to turn), both commanded and actual speed going to the max (trying to lift the RB)

This shows the speed of the other motors. The Left Front is reducing speed to counter the lost propulsion on the RB
View attachment 40901

Thank you BudWalker. I appreciate your help as I do not have any experience deciphering logs to determine cause. I really have no idea what caused the prop to disappear. I tried again twice to find the missing prop to examine it but without any luck. There are some very thick woods with lots of leaves on ground or it is possibly stuck up in high branches. Also it would be nice if I had my drone so I could check my neighbors gutters but I do not. As I stated earlier none of the props were damaged and the motor threads are in pristine condition. There was no plastic residue on the shaft of missing prop. Also, I was not applying a great deal of throttle at the time. Judging by my searches this does not appear to be a common problem. Anyone have a guess as to whether DJI would cover a situation like this?

How do you check for a damaged hub? He said he had no crashes so should you change props after x number of flights?

Changing the props after X flights is not sufficient. Check the inside of the hubs for cracks, broken threads, and/or worn threads. Also, look around the outside of the hub to ensure there aren't any hairline cracks.

Stock props are best.

DJI does not sell full carbon fiber props -- which is what I was assuming you meant. They do sell carbon fiber reinforced props. Almost everyone who has commented on them said they perform just like the 100% composite props.

You can find a complete list of props that are available here. Everything on that list is safe to use.

I bought some from DJI and they are a litter stiffer then the stock ones. I read that you don't want them too strong as you want them to brake in case of a accident. Braking a prop is better then the bird. Thanks for your time.

Props were really only designed to hit the air ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20