Need Help with Compass Calibration

Reaction score
I'm still stressing over, some how loosing compass calibration. I had my best flight this afternoon, but when I got home to do some test flying - after connecting my the DGI app with the phantom, I got an on screen message telling me to calibrate the RC. So I went inside and did that, plus calibrated the RC to the phantom before trying again. I used Youtube and somehow wound up in the compass settings - la la la - I'm pretty sure the settings where OK but still went ahead and hit the advance. That's when all my trouble started.

I chewed up like 70% of battery power with the phantom processing constantly - and beyond the average 5-10 minutes it claims to take. My hand controller was beeping of its head - but at first I thought it was the phantom. LOL - I put in a new set of batteries in the RC and was shaking my head about the phantom. After my frustration I remembered I had to put my drone and it's case in the car boot because there was no space. I'm wondering if the spare wheel in the boot compartment had contributed to this now fail.

Unfortunately it's now pouring down heavy outside and set to stay for days. I did well to get my days flight in when I did.

I'm hoping when weather permits, that I can try a manual calibration outside. I tried tonight off the back porch, but now after I connect the DJI app with the drone - IMU CALIBRATION NEEDED - now comes up.

I'm wondering weather to call the international number or wait and see what anyone here might have to offer. I'll keep looking online no doubt. I hope I'm not in need of having to rub another magnet around it and experiment from there. Seemed to be what some others needed to fix theirs.

Would appreciate any suggestions - ty

Can thick cloud cover, rain, thunder and lightening be interfering with the calibration test inside - My computer desk is also full of magnets - lithium mini speakers - headphones and more speakers - I guess it was bound to happen no that I think about it. I'll install on the laptop and try from it on a clean table.

This sounded interesting:

Originally Posted by alm123 View Post
I need some help deciding on whether I should give the phantom 2 vision another try or not to...

I recently bought a DJI Phantom 2 Vision in December 2013, it arrived with the compass pretty messed up and needing calibration. No amount of spinning round and round like an obsessive dog chasing its tail could fix this. The DJI app kept saying that the Vision needed compass calibration and the LEDs kept showing that as well. The magnet calibration took hours to get this thing close to where it should have been.

The last flight was a really good, it flew well and I was so glad that I had gotten it. I parked it down in its original box for a couple days and when I came back and powered it up, it kept saying that it needed compass calibration. I connected it to the PC and the compass showed the following values:
x 215 y -72 and z -83 mod 22845

The magnet calibration had no effect on correcting the mod value. It would drop to about 18000 when the magnet was around but go back up to 22000 when it was removed. Not only that but it would no longer connect to any satellites when I put it outside so no more GPS lock or return home feature.

I contacted the dealer, B&H photo, and they could offer no troubleshooting advice. They just said send it back and they will ship another one, the problem is that I am not in the US and they admitted that the compass can get messed up through the scans in going through customs and security.

I really like this thing but I can’t go through sending it back and forth for repairs/returns every so often, especially when it can arrive not working properly. Is this a lost cause, should I give up and just take the refund?

I seriously hope I have not lost GPS ability from this point out - Not looking good. :( ...Just when the last flight was the best!

Interesting comments Davekyn,

I too, do not live in USA and ordered from B & H,,,

.. and every time i go out it requires Compass Calibration,,, change battery and again,,, Compass Calibration...

seems to be a forever nuance of spinning the **** thing around...

Im only on my 6 flight now,,, and the weather has been 124 degrees so have not taken it out.

I have found that when I connect to the PC to do IMU calibration that I need to take it out of NAZA mode and put it in Phantom mode first. Then it will perform the calibration routine in just a few minutes. When I finish I put it back in NAZA, check my settings, and then perform the compass dance with the Phantom.

Finally got a compass calibration in Software Assist -

I went outside this morning and did a hands on compass calibration - came back inside to and hooked up to the software and this time if competed the Advance Calibration.

I have a new problem now - The Gimbel seems off or it however to one side as the horizon line is tilted way too much.

I think I will check the calibration again with Check IMU, however worried things might go haywire again. ATM - I'm still in need to fix the Gimble ... I am sure it's more the Gimble than anything else. Perhaps an issue with hand grab launching. So much to learn ... Here's to fixing that issue and a good days flying.

Hand launching? Did you give it time on some what level ground to initiate IMU and establish Home Position and Course Lock before picking it up to hand launch?

I did for the home lock, however I do wonder about the hand launch and Gimbel ...

I'm really loving the hand grabs.

I will keep your points in mind and launch from a stable flat surface (board on the ground)

I am hoping that is all it was.

Thanks for your reply.

Don't pay attention to compass calibration warnings when you're indoors sitting on a desk.
Being in the house will affect your compass. I've gotten the warning several times due to things on my desk. A screwdriver near the phantom leg or a pen. Once I moved those things and cycled power the warnings went away.
You can't trust the compass indoors near other objects so you also can't trust compass warnings.
Check your desk and make sure you have no metal or magnets near or directly under it. Keep the magnets away from it or they will screw up your compass.

When you do the Advanced IMU calibration your Phantom needs to be perfectly level. If your desk is not level, the Phantom will assume it's level and calibrate to that.
Then not only will your camera will be off level, but the Phantom will be off level when trying to fly and it could cause it to tilt in atti mode.

The controller beeping is because you haven't touched the controls for a while. Moving any stick will stop the beeping for another 10 minutes.

I don't suppose you know where the Gimble switch is on the RC for the Phantom 2 Vision plus.

Just watched a guy calibrate his (not saying that is my issue) and his Gimble switch was on the back of his RC - Mine does not seem to have one?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20