Need help to diagnose problem with Phanton in Los Angeles

Reaction score
Hi there, I need some help diagnosing a problem that i have with my phantom. I decided the other night that i did not like the plain white color of the phantom so decided to paint it , i taped up from the middle across the bottom, including the motors and covered up the vents and sprayed in matt black. I let it dry and took all the tape off and put the propellers back on and connected the compass and antennae and took it for a test spin. I put it on the ground and started the engines and gave it a bit of gas and it toppled over so i tried it again and the same situation. So i took it off the ground and held it in my hands and started it up and gave it some stick and it veered straight off to one side at speed into a tree and crashed.. I have had absolutely no problems with the chopper before so i brushed it off and took it back insode under a bright light and had a good look all over it and all the connectors seem fine, the motors seem fine, the propellers are slightly scratched up but everything seems fine. So i grabbed another charged battery and headed back outside again but this time when i put in the battery i did a compass calibration exercise and then started it up and held it in my hands and gave it some stick and it wanted to strongly pull away to one side and accelerated rapidly and then slowed abit and as i held it it seemed to wanting to make acceleration corrections. I am unsure wether one of my crashes had broken something or if i got some paint into somethign that shouldnt have been sprayed etc. I live in Sherman Oaks/ Van Nuys and seeing as i have changed the props and painted it the warranty is probably no good so was wondering where in Los Angeles can i take it to get someone to diagnose the problem ?? I need my Phantom back up on its feet so any help would be appreciated.
cheers
shane

Re: Need help to diagnose problem with Phanton in Los Angele

Are you sure the propellers are all on right? They are directional. And if mixed up, you could have those issues.

there is a possibility that you might have put the top back on at the wrong angle, .thus switching all the prop directions around.

I assume you connected to the NAZA and everything is ok when you check the calibration?

and you're in luck,. I"m in Sherman Oaks as well,. near the 101/405 by Encino.

i actually was lazy and did not take the top off i just taped it up and sprayed it !! i took the props off to check the engines on the off chance that i accidentaly sprayed one of the engines but could see no sign. i swayed it and tilted from side to side and the motors seem to work correctly compensating for tilt and swing when idling. so i changed the props over and held it in my hand and started it up and gave it some stick and tried to hover it but still seems to want to pull to one side. I unfortunately am a Apple computer man so i cant use the DJI software as its only for PC !! my newbie guess is that it might be a engine but would need to get a expert to have a look or at least someone with more experience than me.. GIZMO i tried to pm you but the system would not let me for some reason. Im off Van Nuys near the car dealerships just up from Burbank..

sned you a PM, think you'll be able to read and reply,
but sounds like you may have possibly mucked up an engine while spraying, but no way to tell unless you hook up to the NAZA

well i have been on this forum for about 3 days and already i have had GIZMO3000 invite me without having ever met me around to his house to hook up my Phantom to try to find what the problem was and surprise surprise we find out that the gyro was out of wack so with a quick recalibration it was fixed. GIZMO you are the man..thanks so much..

Heck I live in Granada Hills, we should have a get together and have all 3 up for a video shoot...

Hey i happy to hear you got that all taken care of.
Yesterday i was about to head over to the XGames and get some footage and took the Phantom out for a test flight and the thing would not get off the ground. I changed the battery and same issue. Then the LED's started giving all kinds of wierd codes ..so i

performed a firmware upgrade, advanced calibration and compass and it flies better than it did the day i got it.

There really is not alot of troubleshooting to do on these but i have pretty much done it all...even taking a sledge hammer to my NAZA..lol

Anyhow i would love to get a group of Phantom Pilots in Los Angeles together to fly sometimes.

I live in West LA and Work in Sherman Oaks near the RC Airfield if anyone is ever interested in meeting up.

You can check out some of my footage here and feel free to contact me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/eckoreport

By the way i'm an Apple Engineer/System Intergrator so always looking to spread some knowledge.

Tim

eckoner said:
Yesterday i was about to head over to the XGames and get some footage and took the Phantom out for a test flight and the thing would not get off the ground. I changed the battery and same issue. Then the LED's started giving all kinds of wierd codes ..so i

performed a firmware upgrade, advanced calibration and compass and it flies better than it did the day i got it.

There really is not alot of troubleshooting to do on these but i have pretty much done it all...even taking a sledge hammer to my NAZA..lol

Anyhow i would love to get a group of Phantom Pilots in Los Angeles together to fly sometimes.

I live in West LA and Work in Sherman Oaks near the RC Airfield if anyone is ever interested in meeting up.

By the way i'm an Apple Engineer/System Intergrator so always looking to spread some knowledge.

Tim

Hey I'm getting my Phantom this week. I live in LA very close to the Tarpits. Let me know if you want to do a small meetup. I don't know why I can't PM you

cfrea said:
eckoner said:

Tim

Hey I'm getting my Phantom this week. I live in LA very close to the Tarpits. Let me know if you want to do a small meetup. I don't know why I can't PM you

I would love to meetup as i am trying to get some Phantom Pilots together and fly.

my email is the screen at gmail or you can hit me up on my youtube page

Sorry if this off topic, I'm new here to the form and looking for some local pilots to fly with. I'm in the Woodland Hills area. please PM if interested in flying, and a meet and great.

I am fairly new to this style of filming, and I ended up getting a P2 with a Futaba 8fgs controller. I need technical assistance in the LA/Ventura area from someone who has the ability and knowledge of the Futaba system and can work out the little kinks I have so that I can enjoy the flying and filming. I have cash for any assistance. Thank you in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav