Need help testing a new P3P

Reaction score
Long story short, i'm visiting the US and faith brought me here and I had my friend ordered me a P3P from DJI which will arrive on 22rd this month which leaves me roughly 2 weeks before I leave the US.
Tbh I'm a total noob. I would love it if you guys can give me some advise or instructions to test the basic things about my P3P before i leave here and wont be able to return a failed product or do anything since where i live no one has it yet.
I wont be able to fly it extensively since im very busy being a free tour guide for my non english speaking family. I only have like one or two hours max everyday to do something about it before sleep. And prolly only in my small hotel room in San Francisco.
I dont have my computer with me except my iphone 6 with cellular so i dont think i can update firmware.
What do i need to do to make sure dji shipped me an authentic one, a no problem P3P within my timeframe.
Thanks alot guys.

My advise if you are a total noob in flying a quad is to leave your Phantom at home. Now US is going to bring in strict regulation rules to drone flying, the last thing you want is the news of a noob tourist crashing his Phantom into a crowd or buildings. Learn to fly your drones when you have more time at home, preferably with a cheap learner quad like Syma X5C-1 for a few months before you fly your Phantom.

Reactions: SkyKisser
My advise if you are a total noob in flying a quad is to leave your Phantom at home. Now US is going to bring in strict regulation rules to drone flying, the last thing you want is the news of a noob tourist crashing his Phantom into a crowd or buildings. Learn to fly your drones when you have more time at home, preferably with a cheap learner quad like Syma X5C-1 for a few months before you fly your Phantom.
Agree.

Practice on a cheap drone first. Learn flying, read documents, look at the forum and understand the problems and solutions. Once ready then venture into P3P.

Next, install DJI Go App on your iPhone. Follow the basic checks (hope you have learned them). Check the FW and SW on all. Hope they are latest else you got to update them.

Try simulator. Keep consulting on forum.

Don't worry about safety im a very cautious person and i love my drone so i wont be flying right away in the us i just want to check if my p3p is in good condition to bring it home so i wont regret after spending such a fortune.
Is there a guide for this? Like checking the basic stuffs...etc.
P/s: FW is firmware, right? What is SW? Thanks

SW: Software DJI Go App
FW: Firmware for Remote Controller and P3P + Battery

Go to DJI.com and phantomhelp.com and view videos and read

Ah I see you will actually receive your new P3P in US. I guess the only way to test it is if you get it to a big empty field, preferably if your friend has more experience in flying a quad, get him to hover and move it forward/back and left/right only a few feet, and lands it (just to make sure it can at least take off, fly a bit and land. And not a DOA drone). Since you are new to Phantom unfortunately you won't be able to thoroughly test it until you have a lot more time when you are back home.

I disagree with a lot of people saying buy a cheap one first, practice on that before using your phantom. To me its like passing your car test in a **** car then start to drive a more expensive one which feels different and drives totally different. The only way to get experience as noddle stated, get into a big open field and slowly take off and do some basic manuvers. Its got bloody auto take off and land for god sake my 9 year old boy can fly one of these things (NOT that i let him) its not like your taking a fighter jet into the skies for the first time. I know they are expensive but one reason they are is because it has such good technology as i have already stated- auto take off and landing, glosnos gps, vps, rth feature etc etc if your sensible and dont try and go to crazy for the first dozen flights you will pick it up. Ive flown remote control helicopters which are bloody tricky and require some skill the phantoms are so easy so long as your sensible and not like a teenager with his first scooter!!

I think the OPs point was that he wanted to make sure everything was in order with his phantom before he returns to his native country, wherever that may be.
OP, what I would do is to try to hook up with someone who has one of these things in the area where you will be (Fan Francisco?) and get him to test it for you before you leave; then you will be able to return home confident in the knowledge that the phantom is fully operational.

Reactions: sads45
I disagree with a lot of people saying buy a cheap one first, practice on that before using your phantom. To me its like passing your car test in a **** car then start to drive a more expensive one which feels different and drives totally different. The only way to get experience as noddle stated, get into a big open field and slowly take off and do some basic manuvers. Its got bloody auto take off and land for god sake my 9 year old boy can fly one of these things (NOT that i let him) its not like your taking a fighter jet into the skies for the first time. I know they are expensive but one reason they are is because it has such good technology as i have already stated- auto take off and landing, glosnos gps, vps, rth feature etc etc if your sensible and dont try and go to crazy for the first dozen flights you will pick it up. Ive flown remote control helicopters which are bloody tricky and require some skill the phantoms are so easy so long as your sensible and not like a teenager with his first scooter!!

It's got nothing to do with handling, but the repair cost. WHEN you make a mistake, it doesn't cost a fortune, or 3 months to fix it. If you can fly a cheap one without GPS stabilisation, the Phantom will be easy. I'd rather repair a $40 ship than a $1300 air frame.

If looking to improve flying skills, my advice is to fly the simulator, until it's boring. A great tool to learn handling, and the software functions. Reset button is much easier on the nerves & wallet.

Last edited:
It's got noting to do with handling, but the repair cost. WHEN you make a mistake, it doesn't cost a fortune, or 3 months to fix it. If you can fly a cheap one without GPS stabilisation, the Phantom will be easy. I'd rather repair a $40 ship than a $1300 air frame.

If looking to improve flying skills, my advice is to fly the simulator, until it's boring. A great tool to learn handling, and the software functions. Reset button is much easier on the nerves & wallet.
if you go into a wide open area and take your time getting used to handling it, there wont be any repair costs unless you are going to fly them in built up areas or places with possible obstructions there is a very tiny percentage you are going to risk crashing it. Most of the accidends are in peoples back gardens where you are asking for trouble experienced or not. If you buy a cheap one practice until your a bloody master jedi at it then go to your phantom you will still be just as nervous because of the value of it,just jump straight in and be careful the only way to gain experience is to fly the thing!!

Reactions: Solar Deity
if you go into a wide open area and take your time getting used to handling it, there wont be any repair costs unless you are going to fly them in built up areas or places with possible obstructions there is a very tiny percentage you are going to risk crashing it. Most of the accidends are in peoples back gardens where you are asking for trouble experienced or not. If you buy a cheap one practice until your a bloody master jedi at it then go to your phantom you will still be just as nervous because of the value of it,just jump straight in and be careful the only way to gain experience is to fly the thing!!

Agreed. With a wide open area, in P-GPS mode, it would be hard to make a costly mistake as stable and easy as these are to fly. If you do nothing at all, the P3 just sits there. I've been flying RC helis for a very long time. I'm just saying I started with a 30 size machine ( a lot of them unfortunately), not a 700/800. Much less pucker factor.

I believe the OP was trying to check his machine out for travel and not improve his flying skills. Your advice is really the only way to go if that's his intention.

SD

Last edited:
Agreed. With a wide open area, in P-GPS mode, it would be hard to make a costly mistake as stable and easy as these are to fly. If you do nothing at all, the P3 just sits there. I've been flying RC helis for a very long time. I'm just saying I started with a 30 size machine ( a lot of them unfortunately), not a 700/800. Much less pucker factor.

I believe the OP was trying to check his machine out for and not improve his flying skills. Your advice is really the only way to go if that's his intention.

SD
But these phantoms arnt like the helicopters and basic drones on the market if i just wanted to go flying for fun or practice my skills i dont think i would own a phantom these machines are mainly designed and bought to take unimaginable photographs and film for you would never be able to do in the past, you fly in a total different way when filming then just going out and bombing around having fun (which you can still do with these machines obviously),but not what there designed for and the only way you get good at flying and filming these phantoms is to fly THEM not cheap alternitives in my opinion!!

Guys, thanks alot for all the advices. Again, im 33 and a very cautious person whom love my expensive drone. I prolly will only try to turn on the thing let it hover turn left and right a bit then land it to make sure it works properly.
Can i do this out of the box without updating anything? I dont have a computer now.

Guys, thanks alot for all the advices. Again, im 33 and a very cautious person whom love my expensive drone. I prolly will only try to turn on the thing let it hover turn left and right a bit then land it to make sure it works properly.
Can i do this out of the box without updating anything? I dont have a computer now.
Yes out of the box P3 is ready to fly. You need to install DJI go app on your iPhone. Charge the batteries and controller and start following the basic checks. Follow the quick start guide.

I completely disagree with you here, and anybody starting out with quadcopters for the first time should completely ignore your post. Everything you've indicated is exactly the opposite of what a newbie should do. Flying an inexpensive quad around my house has given me much better reaction times to certain situations, particularly when your quad is facing you and you need to react to an emergency but controls are reversed. The key is practice, to develop muscle memory and the best and cheapest way to do that is with a cheap quad that you don't need to take out to a field somewhere in order to get some practice and that will bounce off things with no damage while you get a feel for it. I fly my cheapo in the living room quite easily and I'm much better controlling my Phantom because of it.

Last edited:
I completely disagree with you here, and anybody starting out with quadcopters for the first time should completely ignore your post. Everything you've indicated is exactly the opposite of what a newbie should do. Flying an inexpensive quad around my house has given me much better reaction times to certain situations, particularly when your quad is facing you and you need to react to an emergency but controls are reversed. The key is practice, to develop muscle memory and the best and cheapest way to do that is with a cheap quad that you don't need to take out to a field somewhere in order to get some practice and that will bounce off things with no damage while you get a feel for it. I fly my cheapo in the living room quite easily and I'm much better controlling my Phantom because of it.
why would you practice bouncing off things in your living room thats not the inviroment the phantoms are mainly used for, yes you can use them for indoor use but if your in a field or wide open space no tv sofa trees etc etc as obstacles you can practice as you call it "muscle memory" If you want to practice manuvering around an object in time, find a tree or a house give yourself plenty of space not a bloody dining room table with a cheap drone that probably has slightly different controls and speeds to a phantom 3! So i would say to newbies to completely ignore your post!!

Reactions: SergeantJoKer
why would you practice bouncing off things in your living room thats not the inviroment the phantoms are mainly used for, yes you can use them for indoor use but if your in a field or wide open space no tv sofa trees etc etc as obstacles you can practice as you call it "muscle memory" If you want to practice manuvering around an object in time, find a tree or a house give yourself plenty of space not a bloody dining room table with a cheap drone that probably has slightly different controls and speeds to a phantom 3! So i would say to newbies to completely ignore your post!!

Geez you are extremely obtuse. The point is not that I AM doing that, it's that I CAN do it, without risking my $2K UAV in the process. Anyway, it's a no-brainer to me, and obviously appears to be to you as well. FYI learning to drive a cheap *** car before getting behind the wheel of a high end one makes a whole bunch of sense, anybody with half a brain could see it, unfortunately you do not.

Geez you are extremely obtuse. The point is not that I AM doing that, it's that I CAN do it, without risking my $2K UAV in the process. Anyway, it's a no-brainer to me, and obviously appears to be to you as well. FYI learning to drive a cheap *** car before getting behind the wheel of a high end one makes a whole bunch of sense, anybody with half a brain could see it, unfortunately you do not.
Its funny how people who think they are more intelligent than another person who doesnt agree with their opinion have to throw obscenitys to get their point across or undermine that persons views, you have your opinion I have mine!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.