Need help reassembling a FC40

Reaction score
I'm replacing the shell of a damaged FC40. I've taken it apart and removed all the screws and removed the "guts" of the phantom from the shell. The only part I have left is the rear light and usb port that is attached to the light circuit board. I noticed there is a white silicone like glue that helps keep the circuit board in place. I also noticed this white silicone substance covering the ends of some wires attached to other parts of the drone. The substance looks like the white silicone you would use to caulk around bathtubs and toilets but appears much shinier and harder. Does anyone know what this is and when I reattach the rear light to the new frame should I use this substance to help keep the rear light in place? I also slightly tore the plastic cover that covers the gps module. I guess the cover is to shield it from heat so it is important to put it back. Some of the sticky material that would keep it in place is missing because it tore off when I was removing it. Can I use just regular super glue on the spots that are missing the sticky adhesive or would some other type of adhesive work better and keep from damaging the GPS module? Thanks.

I use hot glue on all soldered connections to help prevent vibrations, can use it also where the "electric glue" (as per DJI) is used. I'd avoid super glue as it might melt plastic.

I don't have the answer. I'm curious if you are back together.

Here's a bump anyway. :D

I'm expecting the new shell today. I still haven't figured out what type of white material is used on the the circuit board wires and that holds the light/usb port in place. I dont have a soldering gun or hot glue but may pick one up and use that instead. I hope to have it back together and flying in the air with no problems (fingers crossed) soon.

crash1sttime said:
rdc4444 said:
what type of white material is used on the the circuit board wires and that holds the light/usb port in place

Something like this maybe?

Either way according to the many modding vids ive seen its best if gently removed via a sharp scalpel blade

A video on a shell replacement on a P2

Thanks. I went ahead and removed the white material that had the rear light circuit board attached to the shell using a razor blade without any problem. I didnt use any new white sticky material as the two screws holding the light board in place seemed to do a good job holding it in place with no wiggle room. It also has some type of foam tape that covers the circuit board that gives it some extra bonding to the shell. I guess it is to guard it from heat generated from the battery and to cushion it from the battery in the event of a crash/hard landing.

I put the drone back together and took it for two flights without a problem. It flew like a charm. It wasn't that difficult replacing the shell however I did strip a couple of screws while reattaching the gps module but other than that I had no problems. It took about two hours to take it apart and about 1 1/2 hours to put it back together. I took my time taking pictures and referring to a youtube video as I took it apart to make sure I didn't miss anything... BTW I didn't realize the motors are magnetized until two accidentally touched each other and stuck together. You may want to keep the compass module on the landing gear away from the motors.

The white stuff is just white silicon. But hot glue works just as good and also dont take hours to dry and is easier to remove if you ever have to take some thing apart again. I also like to use it on any thing that plugs in so it dont wiggle out.

That foam tape that covers the top of the shell were the GPS goes is actually emf shielding. IF you look at the edges you will see its got a thin layer of copper foil sandwhiched in between 2 sheets of foam rubber. Very important to make sure you put that back in as it does two things #1 it helps block any interference to the gps from the phantoms electronics and make your gps work better. and 2# it also helps reflect some of the GPS's signal back towards the gps puck. Some people even add an extra layer of copper or aluminum shielding. In to the top of the shell and even around the wires that run to the gps and they are able to get a much faster gps lock and in some cases also able to pick up more satellites.

J.James said:
The white stuff is just white silicon. But hot glue works just as good and also dont take hours to dry and is easier to remove if you ever have to take some thing apart again. I also like to use it on any thing that plugs in so it dont wiggle out.

That foam tape that covers the top of the shell were the GPS goes is actually emf shielding. IF you look at the edges you will see its got a thin layer of copper foil sandwhiched in between 2 sheets of foam rubber. Very important to make sure you put that back in as it does two things #1 it helps block any interference to the gps from the phantoms electronics and make your gps work better. and 2# it also helps reflect some of the GPS's signal back towards the gps puck. Some people even add an extra layer of copper or aluminum shielding. In to the top of the shell and even around the wires that run to the gps and they are able to get a much faster gps lock and in some cases also able to pick up more satellites.

Thanks.. I didn't realize the foam covering to the gps was that important!!

rdc4444 said:
J.James said:

Nor did I. Thanks for that J.James.

Here's mod viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

Thats were I also learned how important that is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.