NEED HELP only getting about 1/3 mile range FPV transmission

Re: NEED HELP only getting about 1/3 mile range FPV transmis

DattaGroover said:
QYV said:
antenna quality is more of a factor than the power of the transmitter, mendezl is absolutely right. quality antennas and proper orientation are key, as is the environment you're in.
I have a 400mW TS353 transmitter but FPVLR antennas... in rural environment I've been out past 1700m with rock solid FPV no different than if it were right next to me. Over the city I've only been out to about 1100 but my RC signal cuts out before FPV (more interference on the 2.4ghz band, wifis etc)

it's an easy mistake to make, thinking "oh I'll just up the power" but that's really not the deciding factor. having cheap antennas is like putting shitty tires on a ferrari... doesn't matter how strong the motor is if the tires are crap you'll get crap performance.
What receiver and monitor do you use?

I have a RX-LCD5802 and I pretty much only ever run the FPVLR 4.25 turn helix antenna on it. on my TS353 transmitter I have the FPVLR Pentalobe

QYV said:
I have a RX-LCD5802 and I pretty much only ever run the FPVLR 4.25 turn helix antenna on it. on my TS353 transmitter I have the FPVLR Pentalobe
Thanks for that.

Have you also tried the Black Pearl monitor? I'm not sold one way or another and would like to know your opinion. I've seen a lot of arguing back and forth on different forums, but mainly from people who have had one or the other only.

I have not physically used a BP display myself, no. I know what you're talking about, the debate rages. Here's my opinion if you want it:
I find my RX-LCD5802 to be perfectly acceptable, even in direct sunlight it is plenty bright I am completely pleased with my choice. The main advantages the Black Pearl supposedly has are better resolution (1024x768 vs 800x600 on LCD5802) and an HDMI port. I feel like the "resolution" thing is moot, when you're running your gopro in 1080 (1920x1080) or higher, the image on the display will be "squished" regardless of which display you have... we consider FPV screen simply used for framing your shots, the good video is being captured on the gopro itself.
Unless you need that HDMI port on the BP for some reason, and considering the image is going to get squished on either display, my opinion is to go with the cheaper LCD5802 screen and use the cost savings to splurge on other items, like premium antennas, 3d-printed display mount for the RC, backpack/carrying case, etc.
You definitely want one of the nice 3d printed RC/display mounts, they move the screen up away from the RC transmitter and you won't get certain interference which is often a problem if you use the little bracket on the front of the RC. There's more info about all this stuff in the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread, you should check that out if you haven't already

basically what I'm saying is both screens are totally adequate, unless you need the HDMI feature on the BP you can save some money going to the LCD5802. If cost isn't a major concern for you, by all means get the BP. just remember if you get the IRC600 transmitter to get the 7ch BP not the 32ch. and pay close attention to antenna connectors and double-check with FPVLR via the sales address before/after you place your order to ensure you get the right connectors for your Tx and Rx

QYV said:
I have not physically used a BP display myself, no. I know what you're talking about, the debate rages. Here's my opinion if you want it:
I find my RX-LCD5802 to be perfectly acceptable, even in direct sunlight it is plenty bright I am completely pleased with my choice. The main advantages the Black Pearl supposedly has are better resolution (1024x746 vs 800x600 on LCD5802) and an HDMI port. I feel like the "resolution" thing is moot, when you're running your gopro in 1080 (1920x1080) or higher, the image on the display will be "squished" regardless of which display you have... we consider FPV screen simply used for framing your shots, the good video is being captured on the gopro itself.
Unless you need that HDMI port on the BP for some reason, and considering the image is going to get squished on either display, my opinion is to go with the cheaper LCD5802 screen and use the cost savings to splurge on other items, like premium antennas, 3d-printed display mount for the RC, backpack/carrying case, etc.
You definitely want one of the nice 3d printed RC/display mounts, they move the screen up away from the RC transmitter and you won't get certain interference which is often a problem if you use the little bracket on the front of the RC. There's more info about all this stuff in the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread, you should check that out if you haven't already

basically what I'm saying is both screens are totally adequate, unless you need the HDMI feature on the BP you can save some money going to the LCD5802. If cost isn't a major concern for you, by all means get the BP. just remember if you get the IRC600 transmitter to get the 7ch BP not the 32ch. and pay close attention to antenna connectors and double-check with FPVLR via the sales address before/after you place your order to ensure you get the right connectors for your Tx and Rx
Great insights, thanks!

QYV said:

Does that 7 vs 32 channel only apply to the BP, or to the Boscam as well?

jodaddy23 said:
you won't get a mile with that . you need more powerful stuff .

Do you mean higher wattage? If so, I disagree. Better antennas and antenna locations will do a lot more than going from 400mw to 1 watt. :)

DattaGroover said:
QYV said:

only to the BP that we're aware of. There is indeed a 7ch display that's compatible with Boscam frequencies only... in the same way that the BP 7ch is only compatible with the Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies. I think it's even under 100 bucks, I almost wish I'd known about and tried it when I as buying a 2nd display

QYV said:
DattaGroover said:
QYV said:

only to the BP that we're aware of. There is indeed a 7ch display that's compatible with Boscam frequencies only... in the same way that the BP 7ch is only compatible with the Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies. I think it's even under 100 bucks, I almost wish I'd known about and tried it when I as buying a 2nd display
Got it, thanks.

QYV said:
There is indeed a 7ch display that's compatible with Boscam frequencies only... in the same way that the BP 7ch is only compatible with the Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies. I think it's even under 100 bucks, I almost wish I'd known about and tried it when I as buying a 2nd display

do you have a link for that monitor, that would be a good 2nd one

mendezl said:
QYV said:
There is indeed a 7ch display that's compatible with Boscam frequencies only... in the same way that the BP 7ch is only compatible with the Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies. I think it's even under 100 bucks, I almost wish I'd known about and tried it when I as buying a 2nd display

do you have a link for that monitor, that would be a good 2nd one

remember this is a NON-diversity (1 antenna only), 8ch display compatible with Boscam frequencies only.
it's in the lowest prices stickythread,
$88 on Goodluckbuy
or
$77 on Ebay currently

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1