NEED HELP only getting about 1/3 mile range FPV transmission

Reaction score
After flying about 1/3 of a mile (either altitude or distance wise) the picture seems to really cut out transmission in FPV mode. I'd like to get at least the typical 1 mile range out of the thing.

This is my current setup (Images Below):

Phantom 2
32 Channel Flysight Black Pearl (using Channel F)
5.8 Ghz Flysight Long Range 400mw tx5804 (advertised as 4-5km distance)
2 Cloverleaf Antennas, including a Flysight Panel Style Antenna
Flying in a suburban location

Any recommended suggestions/solutions appreciated

Attachments

• FPV.jpg
    FPV.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Phantom2.jpg
    Phantom2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Re: NEED HELP only getting about 1/3 mile range FPV transmis

What freq do you have set? I have a Boscam setup and found that I had my freq's set incorrectly on my TX(dip-switches set wrong) compared with what I was expecting on the RX. Worked great in the house dry run, but same as you, when I got to about 300yds away the picture would cut out. Once I had the exact freq's matched up...i could fly farther than my battery would last!

Bottom line, check your freq settings, my guess is that they are set for exact matching. Try a couple of different ones to see which works best.

Not sure that is the issue in this case. I tried 2, maybe 3, on F Band. I remember setting it to CH1 5.740 and Chan 6 at 5.840

you won't get a mile with that . you need more powerful stuff .

What exactly, setup should give at least a mile since the transmitter is rated at 4-5 KM.

Silly question, but where do you have your receiver positioned? In a suburban location, your 5.8 GHz signal isn't going to go through houses, trees, dogs, or whatever else might be in the way. Try hoisting your receiver up about 20' up in the air (i attach mine to the end of an extended pool pole!) you'll be suprised how much better your reception is if you get that receiver at/above tree level.

45 degree angle to the sky.

Im not a huge fan of stamped metal antennas (open up your plastic mushrooms and you will see what I mean). I had immersion Spironet antennas and a cheap patch panel and was lucky to get 600 meters.

I now use a FPVLR set of pinwheels and a 4.5 helical. I've gone 2700 meters with no problem.

On a side note, did you make sure of your terminated ends? Could be rp-sma when it needed sma. Plus you've never powered up your transmitter with antenna off, have you? This can fry it causing transmission range loss.

Agreed that with the kit you have 1/2 mile is about the best you will get.

You need improved antenna matching and a directional antenna - a helical would work very well on the RX.

As others have said the propagation of 5.8GHz is not that great and it will not go through any structure or living thing. residential areas are also electrically noisy and this has a big effect as well.

One simple thing you can try is to position your monitor away from your TX - on a tripod for example. This will reduce local interference and will improve the range.

Manufacturers often inflate the claims for their TXs. The real FPV hobby guys CAN get these sort of distances and more, but they often use more advanced antenna arrays with aerial amps and steerable systems.

What about if I just change my video transmitter to a much more powerful unit like the 2,000mw Black Mamba?

2000mW is overkill. Your 400mw if working properly should easily go a mile line of sight

I ended up with the Black Mamba, while it's heavier, it's much more forgiving when things are in the way. Now my remote transmitter is the limiting factor.

Hey Maximusa,

I have a similar setup to yours. Only difference is I am using a futaba:
P2
32 Channel Flysight Black Pearl
5.8 Ghz 400mw tx5804

I have upgraded all my antennas from FPVLR. I was wondering what kind of improvements you found after changing to the Black Mamba 2000mW. Could you add what kind of range improvements you got? Thanks. I was also considering the Boscam 2000mW.

maximusa said:
After flying about 1/3 of a mile (either altitude or distance wise) the picture seems to really cut out transmission in FPV mode. I'd like to get at least the typical 1 mile range out of the thing.

This is my current setup (Images Below):

Phantom 2
32 Channel Flysight Black Pearl (using Channel F)
5.8 Ghz Flysight Long Range 400mw tx5804 (advertised as 4-5km distance)
2 Cloverleaf Antennas, including a Flysight Panel Style Antenna
Flying in a suburban location

Any recommended suggestions/solutions appreciated

Hey Maxim, this is the most depressing news I've read all day. For the last three to four weeks, I've been spending hours and hours each day on the Net, reading, studying, watching video reviews, etc. about how good this system is and how it would definitely reach the 5km range. I finally ordered mine last night off Amazon and now this. :cry: To say I'm devastated would be an understatement. I just can't believe that all that hard work is down the tubes.

Now there is one light at the end of the tunnel: (with my luck, it's a train!) I'm in a very rural area with swamp on three sides and pretty much nothing but a dirt road and a few houses on the other. Hopefully that will make a difference. I did get a tuned set of cloverleafs, but I got the same type panel antenna. I'll subscribe to this thread and let you know how it works out in the next couple of weeks. Two of the parts are coming from China, so you know how that goes.

Please keep us up to date on any improvements you might see and how you accomplished them. Good luck and be safe...

maximusa said:
What about if I just change my video transmitter to a much more powerful unit like the 2,000mw Black Mamba?

not good idea. Great antennas make 4 fold improvent over increasing video transmitter power. I get great video at 2.2 miles with a 400mw transmitter. It is all about the antennas.
Also, suburban locations might have lots of wifi signals that could affect your range.

antenna quality is more of a factor than the power of the transmitter, mendezl is absolutely right. quality antennas and proper orientation are key, as is the environment you're in.
I have a 400mW TS353 transmitter but FPVLR antennas... in rural environment I've been out past 1700m with rock solid FPV no different than if it were right next to me. Over the city I've only been out to about 1100 but my RC signal cuts out before FPV (more interference on the 2.4ghz band, wifis etc)

it's an easy mistake to make, thinking "oh I'll just up the power" but that's really not the deciding factor. having cheap antennas is like putting shitty tires on a ferrari... doesn't matter how strong the motor is if the tires are crap you'll get crap performance.

mendezl said:
maximusa said:

not good idea. Great antennas make 4 fold improvent over increasing video transmitter power. I get great video at 2.2 miles with a 400mw transmitter. It is all about the antennas.
Also, suburban locations might have lots of wifi signals that could affect your range.
Which antennas do you use?

QYV said:
antenna quality is more of a factor than the power of the transmitter, mendezl is absolutely right. quality antennas and proper orientation are key, as is the environment you're in.
I have a 400mW TS353 transmitter but FPVLR antennas... in rural environment I've been out past 1700m with rock solid FPV no different than if it were right next to me. Over the city I've only been out to about 1100 but my RC signal cuts out before FPV (more interference on the 2.4ghz band, wifis etc)

it's an easy mistake to make, thinking "oh I'll just up the power" but that's really not the deciding factor. having cheap antennas is like putting shitty tires on a ferrari... doesn't matter how strong the motor is if the tires are crap you'll get crap performance.
What receiver and monitor do you use?

I get consistent 1/2 mile range from my stock P2+. Just got my stage 2 fpvlr but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know when I test it.

jasonnelson007 said:
I get consistent 1/2 mile range from my stock P2+. Just got my stage 2 fpvlr but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know when I test it.
THanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.