Need Help In Searching For Climber

Reaction score
Hi,

We have conducted 2 civilian searches (Sierra Nevada) for a missing climber, and have recently acquired some information, that leads us to believe that this climbers remains may be in a specific location.
Unfortunately the area consists of class 4, class 5 terrain, and we would prefer not risking any lives to find evidence, but still would like to bring closure for the family.
This is where an experienced drone pilot would come into play, this person also would need some backpacking experience, since getting to the location requires a solid class 2 x-country background.
This location is on National Forest land, so drones are still allowed.
If anyone here in interested, or if you know someone who is qualified, and may be interested, please contact me at: [email protected]

Thank you for any help you may have to offer,
Peter

Last edited:
Good Luck. You have probably come to the right place...

Welcome to the forum .
I wish I was closer I would help out . I'm sure you get someone here to help .
GL!

I was going to say Jim Bowers as well as Placer County Search and Rescue.

Can you please give some more details about this? How far of a drive from the SF Bay Area? How far of a hike with a backpack from a vehicle? What height is the area to be surveyed and how far from a viable launch point?

Any photos/maps/links would be appreciated and help in making a decision. I'm considering it. I'm near SFO.

Can you please give some more details about this? How far of a drive from the SF Bay Area? How far of a hike with a backpack from a vehicle? What height is the area to be surveyed and how far from a viable launch point?

Any photos/maps/links would be appreciated and help in making a decision. I'm considering it. I'm near SFO.

I will not discuss details on an open forum, sorry, send me an e-mail, and I will be happy to
discuss it. Thanks

Even if it was restricted, would they let it slide for something like this? And good luck, I hope it turns out well...
Afraid not. If it's part of a SAR the operator would have to get an E-COA and unless someone is able to put the pressure on from high up they refuse to issue those to restricted areas. It almost takes an act of Congress (literally) to get permission to fly in restricted areas like that.

I completely agree but when you're dealing with Gvt agencies they tend to only see black n white. There are some talks and meetings happening now in high levels that might make it a bit easier in the future to do certified SAR work but right now it's a big chore unless you are working with agencies who are willing to ignore the rules (few and far between).

Hopefully in the year or two it will get easier though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was advised to include, that this fight would take place between 10,000-11,440 ft, altitude and wind currents could cause possible issues.

Last edited:
A lot of people that live in the valley will get altitude sickness at that level. Did you contact Jim bowers?
If it is in the Tahoe national forest, it's not a national park.

"A lot of people that live in the valley will get altitude sickness at that level. Did you contact Jim bowers?
If it is in the Tahoe national forest, it's not a national park."

This is why someone with backcountry experience was requested in my initial post, also it was indicated, that the location is on NF land.
Yes, have talked to Jim, sent him info regarding the incident, and the location of the area in interest on Friday, waiting for his reply. Thanks

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31