Need help getting a phantom out of a tree

Reaction score
My phantom is currently 40 to 50 feet up in a tree, after a propeller came off mid flight. Its an oak tree in Florida, from what I can see with binoculars, the face is looking down at the ground, the left arms are hanging freely, and the right are caught. It was originally on the top of the canopy but the wind blew it down into the tree. The back right arm looks /\ like that with the left diagonal the propeller and the right the drones arm and its caught on some branches I think it took with it on the way down.

We have tried throwing a money fist with a light line over the branch at about 20 feet, and swung the tree pretty well and it wouldn't come off. I think gravity has it held in with a funny position in the arm. I think only lifting it up from its spot can get it out. we tried to get the monkey fist thrown higher, but its a really hard shot blocked by a few little branches right at the top. We also tried shooting a crossbow with fishing line to get a climbing line started but it broke. Its in a neighbors yard, so I don't know if we can cut down the branch anywhere, but I fear that would hurt the drone coming down attached to a branch. I have friends with climbing gear (ropes and footspikes), but the branch is very sloped at like a 70 degree angle. We thought of using a mylar baloon to get a climbing line up there with a weight and then shoot it down to loop it over, but I dont think we can get the baloon to move over the branch. Tried making a pvc poking stick, way too difficult to control, the height is too great.

So I am out of ideas, any help would be great. And Oh, I move to Guatemala next tuesday, So I only have a few days to get it before I go.

Here's a cockamamie scheme. use the crossbow but blunty the tip of the arrow. then aim at the drone to knock loose.

Hit home depot or lowes and go to the cleaning section. there are extension poles frequently used for window washers, painting homes etc. Models exist to increase your reach by 20-30 feet. Obviously, a ladder will still be needed to close the distance. Even if you have to get into the tree the pole will allow you to get her free without climbing all the way up. I play disc golf and these poles are handy to say the least when a disc gets tree happy...

Could also hit a fishing tackle store and get a long cane pole... some of those are long, light.

What is a money fist, and what is a monkey fist? The Linux Geek seems to have the best ideas.

What is a money fist, and what is a monkey fist? The Linux Geek seems to have the best ideas.

Veteran Disc Golfer :) I've climbed more than my share of trees trust me... Oaks good for climbing keep your feet on limbs the size of your fist or larger... evergreens are sappy and brittle...

Reactions: Atom1234
My phantom is currently 40 to 50 feet up in a tree, after a propeller came off mid flight. Its an oak tree in Florida, from what I can see with binoculars, the face is looking down at the ground, the left arms are hanging freely, and the right are caught. It was originally on the top of the canopy but the wind blew it down into the tree. The back right arm looks /\ like that with the left diagonal the propeller and the right the drones arm and its caught on some branches I think it took with it on the way down.

We have tried throwing a money fist with a light line over the branch at about 20 feet, and swung the tree pretty well and it wouldn't come off. I think gravity has it held in with a funny position in the arm. I think only lifting it up from its spot can get it out. we tried to get the monkey fist thrown higher, but its a really hard shot blocked by a few little branches right at the top. We also tried shooting a crossbow with fishing line to get a climbing line started but it broke. Its in a neighbors yard, so I don't know if we can cut down the branch anywhere, but I fear that would hurt the drone coming down attached to a branch. I have friends with climbing gear (ropes and footspikes), but the branch is very sloped at like a 70 degree angle. We thought of using a mylar baloon to get a climbing line up there with a weight and then shoot it down to loop it over, but I dont think we can get the baloon to move over the branch. Tried making a pvc poking stick, way too difficult to control, the height is too great.

So I am out of ideas, any help would be great. And Oh, I move to Guatemala next tuesday, So I only have a few days to get it before I go.
Where in Florida are you located?

I used a 5.00 sling shot and a piece of fishing line with a sinker . Shot it up there and shook the branch until it came down and used a big fishing net to catch if you don't have use a blanket with 2 people

Reactions: IflyinWY
I also used the gray conduit pipe in electrical and connected 5 pieces to make a long pole , then disconnect and return .

I had to climb a tree a couple of weeks ago. It was a skinny-*** tree in very thick woods but was luckily on the outer fringe, but around 30 feet up. I was able to get below it and shake the branch it was on while my friend below caught it.

After that I started thinking of ways to retrieve them. One was a fishing pole with a sinker on the end and one that is like a large treble hook on twine or rope - like you would use if you were Batman (Bat Hook) to scale a wall.

This was my P1 which has been handed down to a friend of mine, the one below the tree.

Bamboo sticks (commonly used to hold up plants and are about 3-5ft long each depending on what you can find) and duct tape. Helped me get about 50ft up when a cheap quad got stuck at the top of a tree from a little wind gust.

Get the extension Ladder 40"...Get adjustable painters Extension pole...20 or 30".....make sure you rig a lasso on the end so you can hook it around one of the drone arms and pull tight from bottom were you are holding pole...that way drone won't fall and break...GOOD LUCK

someone in florida say frisbee golf??
20121031_191349.jpg

RebelNC got his phantom that WAS stuck way up in pine and lol used some good old fashion redneck ingenuity to get it down. He took a .22 and just keep shooting at the base of the branch till the branch fell. Tho he hurt him self a tiny bit when he tried to catch it on the way down and also ended up with some broken landing gear. Tho I'm not to confidant a p3 could take much of a fall with out completely trashing the camera and gimbal

What is a money fist, and what is a monkey fist?
I'm pretty sure money fist was a typo for a monkeys fist. Its a type of knot on the end of a throw line usually with a weight inside it such as a ball baring or a lead ball. Traditionally used on ships to throw a small line to shore that can be used to haul a larger line like when docking and such.

They also are staring to become popular again lately for decorative knots and also they make good self defense weapons. Like the one below. Which is weird they have made a come back the last few years they used to be a know that was almost going extinct and even a lot of sailors could not tie them. Infact I was very suprised to even see someone one mention it and by name.

e937fc0d1b0359e217d3d22d45c0734a.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic