Need help figuring out what I have?

Reaction score
*Sorry if this is not in the correct sub forum*
I recently purchased a DJI Phantom (I believe it is a Phantom 2-has a GoPro Hero Black so I don't believe it's a P2 Vision). The drone itself has some upgrades but I'm a newbie and unsure exactly what they are/do. I've attached a photo so that hopefully someone can tell me what I have and what I need to get.
I would like to get a FPV monitor to attach to the controller. I believe the drone already has the transmitter (?) attached to send a single to a monitor. What kind of monitor do I need to get to achieve this, and how do I connect it to the camera once I get the monitor? I'm sure these are "basic" questions but as I said I'm really green to this and all the lingo that goes with this hobby. Thank you in advance.

IMG_0726_zpsrznzja8x.jpg

It is a P2 unsure if V1 or V2, has the FPV transmitter and IOSD, you just need a monitor (or goggles) that supports the channels the video transmitter is on, if you can read what the board with the antenna on is that should give you the type needed, most are usually on Fat Shark frequencies but there are others too, if you know someone with a monitor or goggles on 5.8ghz they could tell you also. I use the same setup :)

It will be transmitting as soon as you switch the GoPro on, press record on your GoPro and then start the P2 up and off you go, you just need a monitor to receive the image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outaline
It is a P2 unsure if V1 or V2, has the FPV transmitter and IOSD, you just need a monitor (or goggles) that supports the channels the video transmitter is on, if you can read what the board with the antenna on is that should give you the type needed, most are usually on Fat Shark frequencies but there are others too, if you know someone with a monitor or goggles on 5.8ghz they could tell you also. I use the same setup :)

It will be transmitting as soon as you start the P2 up, you just need a monitor to receive the image.
Any suggestions on what monitor to get? There seems to be a lot on the market, don't want to get a cheap/bad one.

Without knowing the frequency your VTX is on i cant say as some do some channels and others cover them all, i seen one with twin antennas on recently that seemed to cover most channels/bands, ill let others answer the best monitor to use as i dont use one.

On the gimbal where you mount the GoPro there will either be a lead with mini usb plug you put into the GoPro charging port for video (be very careful with the ribbon cable, they break easily) or itll be built into the back of the gimbal and it will insert into the rear of the GoPro when you mount it, this is how it sends its image and the IOSD is mixed into the signal and sent to the VTX for transmitting to your monitor/goggles ... incase you were wondering. :)

Last edited:
I've got the monitor now and when I power up and cycle through the channels I almost pick up the feed but it's very grainy and rolling, am I doing something wrong??

Check if those dipswitches are suitabe for the channels/bands your monitor has, i found these ...

1 2 3 4
Ch1 5740 MHz On On On N/A
Ch2 5760 MHz Off On On N/A
Ch3 5780 MHz On Off On N/A
Ch4 5800 Mhz Off Off On N/A
Ch5 5820 MHz On On Off N/A
Ch6 5840 Mhz Off On Off N/A
Ch75860 MHz On Off Off N/A

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members