P3 Firmware Need Help Correct Steps To Upgrade Firmware Properly

Reaction score
Hello Phantom Pilots,

I have watched countless videos on I think everything possible for our Phantoms, which now leads me to my questions. After watching how to videos on updating firmware I came up scratching my head and wonder why I cannot find a good step by step video that I feel will really help ALL Phantom Pilots.

My scenario: Finally had my Christmas Gift delivered to my house today. I fully charged the Remote, fully charged a battery to the Phantom. Was able to register my drone with DJI without a hitch.

Went to the about screen on the DJI Go and here is my current versions

My DRONE P3P
APP VERSION: 3.1.1
AIRCRAFT VERSION: 1.3.20+
REMOTE CONTROLLER VERSION: 1.3.20

Now on my home screen it tells me I need to update EVERYTHING to include all my batteries to the latest version!

Now I have seen and read on here how many are having severe firmware updating nightmares. I am trying to decipher through them but cannot come to much patterns.

I did find a Video from a guy on YOUTUBE that states people who are updating their firmware on the PHANTOM should do it in stages. Meaning if you have 3-5 updates between what your drone came with and the latest version, you should do the update in stages.

QUESTIONS

When updating which comes first and so on? The APP since I just downloaded it is the current and latest, so that one is easy. Should I update the drone, controller, battery's? Or Controller, drone, battery's?

When the Drone is being uploaded, does it also update the battery at the same time?

If the battery gets updated at the same time, do I take the micro stick out, place in computer, open up micro stick and confirm the update was successful, followed by reformatting the micro stick, reinstall the firmware update back on clean micro stick, load micro stick back in drone with 2nd battery and do the update again? Till all my batteries have been updated?

Does it make a difference and does anybody know or spoke to DJI about which steps to take when updating? I find no info from DJI on this which really bothers me. DJI does not say anywhere about whether or not you can update to the latest firmware no matter which version you are in!

Has anybody updated firmware in stages? If I am looking at the data correct after 1.3.20 which is what my brand new P3P is currently at, then it goes to 1.4.0010, then 1.6.0040, followed by 1.7.0060, then 1.8.80, then 1.9.60, and then we have our current version 1.10.90

So it looks like I have 6 full firmware updates to go through in order for my drone set up to be current.
Now before anybody gets their head in a big wad and starts stating YOU DONT HAVE TO UPDATE TO LATEST! That is not me, as I always update all my electronics to the latest so please respect my wishes. I want to be able to Successfully update my drone to the latest Firmware that DJI provides.

So my final question is this. Has anybody been this far back in the firmware and updated to the latest version successfully without going through each update of firmware?

Thanks everybody for the input and help as I am very excited to get started, but also very nervous as I don't want to get into the FAILED to update syndromes and have to send my brand new quadcopter into DJI all because they have real terrible process in this part of the instructions since they are so critical to the safety and flying capabilities to the machine.

I've skipped versions to the latest from earlier one, no issues. Battery gets updated with drone firmware (do each battery!). Controller gets updated within app.

I've skipped versions to the latest from earlier one, no issues. Battery gets updated with drone firmware (do each battery!). Controller gets updated within app.

What version where you at when you purchased your Phantom and how many versions did you jump?

which order did you use to do your updates?

Thank you for your help

It seems Phantoms are/have been shipped 1.4. Drone is updated separately from controller, so no order is needed. I have updated from 1.6 to 1.8 In two of my three P3A's. All fly with joy.

It would be my view, that if you wanted to take it slowly, flashing through all the versions of the drone firmware would not hurt... just would take longer and may not be needed. It worked well in my case(s)

It would be my view, that if you wanted to take it slowly, flashing through all the versions of the drone firmware would not hurt... just would take longer and may not be needed. It worked well in my case(s)

I see you didn't jump up that much but sounds like that small jump worked for you. Hopefully we will get more responses on this topic.

Thanks for your input and experience

UPDATE!

Ok, I went ahead and updated the firmware in level increases and worked great each time. Then after I installed the current firmware to the drone and first battery, it upgraded successfully. However, when trying to update my 2nd batter this is what I get! I tried it twice with two different sticks that were reformatted and firmware installed.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.10.0090.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

It probably updated the battery already, it happens pretty quickly. Also, there was no need to step through all the versions, it is a waste of time, and you also risked overheating / destroying your gimbal main board. Glad you got it all sorted now. Don't forget to delete the .bin file from your bird now.

One more thing: There are several modules, including battery, that get updated. For a more complete report, there are hidden files on the SD card that report the details of the modules. The message you posted above simply means everything is up to date.

One more thing: There are several modules, including battery, that get updated. For a more complete report, there are hidden files on the SD card that report the details of the modules. The message you posted above simply means everything is up to date.

Ok, I fired up the remote, then the bird and then launched DJI TO GO and it says I am disconnected! It also says firmware upgrade required, but when you select it, there is nothing there. NOW WHAT

Ok, I fired up the remote, then the bird and then launched DJI TO GO and it says I am disconnected! It also says firmware upgrade required, but when you select it, there is nothing there. NOW WHAT

I figured it out. All I had to do was close down the app completely and fire everything back up again and whalla everything looks fantastic

So finally what versions you are seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So finally what versions you are seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am on the latest firmware for the drone, remote and batteries. I took my first flights yesterday without a hitch. Like everybody said, since I fly choppers, this was going to be easy. Well I have to say my muscle memory from flying choppers kind of hinders you. Because I tend to use more of the sticks then needed due to how the drone fly's. It will take some getting used to and many hours of flight in which I am looking forward to doing.

Isn't it nice to have GPS stability? Basically flies itself....

Yeah, I am just now getting started on some flight simulator for practicing the five flight options before going out in the field. Some of them I will be using in Real Estate once I get my license.

UPDATE!

Ok, I went ahead and updated the firmware in level increases and worked great each time. Then after I installed the current firmware to the drone and first battery, it upgraded successfully. However, when trying to update my 2nd batter this is what I get! I tried it twice with two different sticks that were reformatted and firmware installed.

Well I'm getting the same error and 'guess' it could be because it's already there HOWEVER whats up with the datestamp????

Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

I sure as HEdoubletoothpics don't like the looks of that......

Greetings Phantom Pilots

Just purchased my P3P 3 weeks ago whilst on holiday and just got back home eager to fly. I went through the online video tutorials to catch up with the latest P3P news/advices etc and got to learn that one needs to upgrade. I have upgraded the P3P drone successfully to version V01.10.0090.bin with the appropriate success txt message on the SD card and green led on the gimbal. And now apparently my understanding is that one can only update the RC via the DJI Go app ? I have tried all the while with the SD card or thumb drive on the RC (and changed several cords) but nothing happens....no blue light) and also given that have tried with the latest DJI GO app (version 3.7) on 3 android (including Samsung Galaxy S7).

The trouble is that when I launch the DJI GO app it will only recognise the RC as connected to a inspire drone (that is when I get the grey camera bar to select else for P3P selection I get only the "how connect" bar.

Have tried the hard reset on the RC but still without success in selecting another drone type and to reach the camera select stage for the correct P3P. Have tried both androids and iPad tablets for that matter. The RC seems to be able to see the P3P somewhat though because I can move the camera but cannot of course cannot start the drone though the green link led on the gimbal is lit up and the P3P status ell flashing green.

Can anyone help please. Would appreciate.

Did you register the Drone through the app or did you get any prompts to register the Drone

The Nether world

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan