Need/for/DJI goggles?

Reaction score
What do you need to hook up the new DJI googles to phantom 4? I plan on pre ordering the goggles and purchasing the phantom 4.

Thank you,

What do you need to hook up the new DJI googles to phantom 4?
You can connect them to the Phantom remote controller via a micro USB cable. If you have the HDMI output module installed on the Phantom remote controller, you could also connect them via an HDMI cable.

You can connect them to the Phantom remote controller via a micro USB cable. If you have the HDMI output module installed on the Phantom remote controller, you could also connect them via an HDMI cable.

Which mean I don't have to purchase the hdmi output model right away in order to use the dji googles with the phantom 4 because of the micro USB port.

Thank You for your help....

The information I got from DJI was that HDMI cable (and hence module as well, for Phantoms) was required for the DJI goggles to work with all but the Mavic (which will work wirelessly via OcuSync). The USB cable is optional for head tracking, not video.

The information I got from DJI was that HDMI cable (and hence module as well, for Phantoms) was required for the DJI goggles to work with all but the Mavic (which will work wirelessly via OcuSync). The USB cable is optional for head tracking, not video.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question...

You are more than welcome, I had the same questions and had to do the digging to find out the hugely disappointing news that they made wireless a Mavic only feature :(
When I first saw the DJI goggles announcement I was all in until I found this out, now I am back to the Glyph option.

The information I got from DJI was that HDMI cable (and hence module as well, for Phantoms) was required for the DJI goggles to work with all but the Mavic (which will work wirelessly via OcuSync).
Here's more information from the DJI Goggles manual:

Manual.jpg

The USB cable is optional for head tracking, not video.
The USB cable is required if you want to use head tracking. The head tracking feature will not work when using an HDMI cable.

was wondering since i use the k-1 tablet with the hdmi,is there anyway these would work without the module thanks

was wondering since i use the k-1 tablet with the hdmi,is there anyway these would work without the module
Yes. See the page from the manual I posted above.

thanks,that was fast looked at the manual online and for me it was hard to tell. so no i don't need the module?thanks again!

Here's more information from the DJI Goggles manual:

View attachment 81619

The USB cable is required if you want to use head tracking. The head tracking feature will not work when using an HDMI cable.

Thank you for the link to the DJI Goggles manual. I have a few question for you on the manual page 11 & 13. I notice on page 11 that it can work with Phantom 4 just using the micro usb cable which is on the remote controller (video/headtracking correct?) Now on page 13 under header Controlling The Air Craft, there a chart which tell me the functional support list of the Goggles when connected with different aircraft. Now to me I would assume the (X) check marks mean that this particular function doesn't work with the particular aircraft on the list(Correct?)

I notice on page 11 that it can work with Phantom 4 just using the micro usb cable which is on the remote controller (video/headtracking correct?)
That's correct. If you use an HDMI cable instead, you will not be able to use the head tracking feature.

I would assume the (X) check marks mean that this particular function doesn't work with the particular aircraft on the list
That's correct.

USB is only for tracking and not video, video is HDMI (or OcuSync wirelessly if you have a Mavic) only.

You can get your HDMI video signal from where ever you wish. If you have Shield then that will work or else you will need the HDMI module (say if you use iPad like I do)

USB is only for tracking and not video, video is HDMI (or OcuSync wirelessly if you have a Mavic) only.

You can get your HDMI video signal from where ever you wish. If you have Shield then that will work or else you will need the HDMI module (say if you use iPad like I do)
Please Correct me if I am wrong, I would like to read anything that supports your answer.

I can use the micro usb on the remote controller to deliver video signal and more with a ipad/iphone(correct?) Which it would make me believe that it can do the same for the DJI goggles. To my understand the HDMI Module you can add to the remote controller will give you better picture, but it is optional. Also when I looked in the DJI Goggle Manual on Page 11 and 13 it show me that it will work. Not saying it is correct because DJI website doesn't have a whole lot on this topic and it was't until recently I discovered the manual.

You can use a micro USB cable if you want video + head tracking OR an HDMI cable if you want video only. I doubt you'll be able to use both cables at the same time.

You can use a micro USB cable if you want video + head tracking OR an HDMI cable if you want video only. I doubt you'll be able to use both cables at the same time.

That is what I thought.. You have so far gave me the best information that supports what you are talking about.

Thank You,

I agree that page 11 says micro USB will work for Inspire 2 and phantom 4 standard version, and hdmi is required for phantom 4 pro and advanced and Inspire series.
I contacted DJI before the manual was published to ask that question and again after to confirm. Both times they said video via hdmi and tracking via USB.
I can only echo what two separate support agents told me.

To be honest I have already been entirely put off the DJI goggles due to the OcuSync wireless only (I.e. Only Mavics get wireless) and gone for a Glyph.
Had that not been the case and DJI goggles were still a potential, I wouldn't buy them until the first few reviews were out in the wild (yeah I have seen a couple of Mavic based reviews) and such questions as these are 100% clarified.

I agree that page 11 says micro USB will work for Inspire 2 and phantom 4 standard version, and hdmi is required for phantom 4 pro and advanced and Inspire series.
Per the manual, all Phantom 4 models and the Inspire 2 can be connected with only a micro USB cable.

I contacted DJI before the manual was published to ask that question and again after to confirm. Both times they said video via hdmi and tracking via USB.
All DJI supports reps are not equally knowledgeable. Some know more than others. Some offer incorrect information. In most cases, it's better to trust the manual if the information you're seeking is contained within.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4