Need firmware advise

There is no battery update in the 1.4 firmware so your battery won't update. 1.4 AirCraft firmware flies fine with battery FW 1.6 and below. If you want to update the battery FW to 1.6 while leaving the AC @ 1.4 you'll need to plug the battery in to unit with 1.6 AC FW installed.

I'm just referring to the battery that says it requires an update. Or, if the Phantom came with firmware 1.4, would the battery be the same and I should leave it alone?

There is no battery update in the 1.4 firmware so your battery won't update.
True -- but, how do you know which version of the firmware is currently installed on the new battery? If it's not 1.3.2, then 1.4 will install an update on it.

I am quite new, heck I have not even flown my P3A yet, but I have already updated all the FW. Aside from not wanting the imposed new features which I can understand (geo fencing etc), why would one choose not to update to 1.6?

why would one choose not to update to 1.6?
Some people are afraid the geo-fencing is going to prevent them from flying. Others have an "if it works don't fix it" mentality. If you don't fall into one of those categories, then 1.6 is for you :)

Why do many choose not to install Windows 10? Not everyone desires a non-reversible update that offers no appreciable benefit. Unless, of course, you consider reduced performance a benefit.
I am quite new, heck I have not even flown my P3A yet, but I have already updated all the FW. Aside from not wanting the imposed new features which I can understand (geo fencing etc), why would one choose not to update to 1.6?

Last edited:
Why do many choose not to install Windows 10? Not everyone desires a min-reversible update that offers no appreciable benefit.
Windows 10 is super easy to revert. I had to do that on one of my computers right after it was released since some display drivers I needed were not available yet.

As you note Windows 10 makes it easy to revert back...for 30 days at least. I don't care for DJI's non-reversible (beyond 1 version) firmware policy.

Windows 10 is super easy to revert. I had to do that on one of my computers right after it was released since some display drivers I needed were not available yet.

I don't care for DJI's non-reversible (beyond 1 version) firmware policy.
It's a tough situation to be in. If I was DJI, I think I would force firmware updates to be installed automatically. I don't know that I'd want to be in a situation where I'd have to potentially offer a full replacement under warranty because a customer decided to use a firmware version that I knew was chock full of bugs.

Come on Frank! We love ya, but theres holes all over in that story. We all know ya do stuff with DJI cause you love to share that. Then you say you got lucky!! Like lottery lucky! Nah, it dont add up. U know something and yer not s'posed to share only now you've shared too much and you've got to give some details

Hahahahaa I liked that. Somebody that has paid attention to me more then realized. The thing is, you're right. But even though you're right, there's not going to be any pot of gold at the end of the rainbow this time.

So here is the fine details which may explain the downgrade: Back when beginning the most recent test, the FW starting out was 1.06.0036. When the next update came out FW 1.06.0038 I never loaded it, and actually stopped all testing. Because it was that update that introduced the speed restriction and was much deeper in the zone additions. So my 1.06.0036 is/was actually the same as a 1.5+ version and it would have taken me to load 1.06.0040 to become limited. In looking at the results log I did notice that all the FW activity has wrong dates. 90% show the 2014 year and the other and most recent show 2015. There is no 2016 date in any of my result logs.

Reactions: dirtybum
It's a tough situation to be in. If I was DJI, I think I would force firmware updates to be installed automatically. I don't know that I'd want to be in a situation where I'd have to potentially offer a full replacement under warranty because a customer decided to use a firmware version that I knew was chock full of bugs.

Those bugs you speak of are bugs created by dji to begin with. But what is the difference in the current situation of limiting firmware to a limit of 2 versions, and those that just don't update after a version they're ok with?

They need to setup firmware up by having a core firmware, and each add-on would have it's own dedicated firmware that functions with the core firmware. That way when any changes are made it wouldn't contaminate the rest of the firmware like it does now. These added processes that appear end up being too much for some devices and before you know it the user is faced with having to upgrade their devices.

Reactions: Apilot101
Those bugs you speak of are bugs created by dji to begin with.
Yes, sir. No software is perfect though.

But what is the difference in the current situation of limiting firmware to a limit of 2 versions, and those that just don't update after a version they're ok with?
Not sure. What DJI is doing doesn't make sense. They should either let people go back to any version (and maybe not support old versions to cover them) or force everyone onto the current version. Like you mentioned though, I'm thinking the blocker is backward compatibility.

I read it has shuttering bird and poor videos. Second and only my opinion based on my conversations with dji service dept. that they may not honor a drop out off sky repair if it was on latest firmware. They fixed mine but not without a fuss

Trying to wrap my head around that statement. So DJI wouldn't stand behind the latest update that they offer? Is that correct?

Trying to wrap my head around that statement. So DJI wouldn't stand behind the latest update that they offer? Is that correct?
No, my battery failure happened on December 9 two weeks before 1.6 firmware came out to address battery issue. DJI's analysis said they wouldn't cover it because it was not up-to-date on firmware. To which I had to argue with them it was up-to-date on 1.5. It was not on 1.6 because it had not come out yet at the time of the crash. To which they said OK and then fixed it for free.

No, my battery failure happened on December 9 two weeks before 1.6 firmware came out to address battery issue. DJI's analysis said they wouldn't cover it because it was not up-to-date on firmware. To which I had to argue with them it was up-to-date on 1.5. It was not on 1.6 because it had not come out yet at the time of the crash. To which they said OK and then fixed it for free.

Ah, gotcha. Tnx

1.5 is the only firmware you do not want to use on your Phantom. 1.4 is okay to use.

There is no way to downgrade the firmware on batteries. DJI has never indicated that a battery running 1.6 cannot be used on a Phantom running 1.4. All should be just fine.

Why do you say 1.5 is the only firmware you don't want to use? Because you can only downgrade to 1.4 after using it?

Why do you say 1.5 is the only firmware you don't want to use?
When using 1.5, some people ran into an issue where the battery shut off mid-flight when it was under a lot of stress. DJI made changes in 1.6 to prevent that from occurring.

When using 1.5, some people ran into an issue where the battery shut off mid-flight when it was under a lot of stress. DJI made changes in 1.6 to prevent that from occurring.

I'm running 1.5. I'm just mindful of my flying style and monitor voltage and take it easy on super cold days. I was under the impression that the battery issue probably existed in previous firmwares as well.

For me I'm stuck at 1.5 because I don't want my speeds reduced and GEO.

I was under the impression that the battery issue probably existed in previous firmwares as well.
That doesn't seem to be the case. Everyone who reported it here was using 1.5.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Everyone who reported it here was using 1.5.

Hmmmm very interesting. I may downgrade to 1.4 if this is true. I don't care about 2.7k and the waypoint feature since I don't use DJI Go for waypoints.

Is there anyone out there who had a battery failure on 1.4?

Is there anyone out there who had a battery failure on 1.4?
The battery is not failing. When running firmware 1.5, the Phantom is allowing (in certain scenarios) the battery to be flown down to 3.0V. That causes the battery to shut off because that's how it's designed to work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik