Need feedback on demo reel

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
we will be launching a major site revamp in about 2-3 weeks. On the landing page of the site, we will be showcasing a video that is made in collaboration with a number of artists who sell their footage through us. Many of them are decorated photographers/cinematographers.

Here is a near final cut of the demo reel we want to showcase. I am seeking for any constructive feedback on what could be improved before we go live. All feedback will be perceived as constructive so please don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts.

The video is not public yet so you need a password to view it.

Password: AESdemo

Let me know you thoughts.

Cheers

Stunning, great transitions with the music and some breathtaking shots in there.

Stunning, great transitions with the music and some breathtaking shots in there.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Anything you see we can improve?
Cheers

How can I say anything negative about such amazing scenes, that are so beautifully done.
Around 1:12 there is an overhead of a group of boats, i'd pull it.
Thanks. That shot is an iconic location in Mauritius. May I ask what makes you hesitate about this specific sequence? I trust people's gut instincts so just want to know more.

Cheers

Freakin awesome!
Thanks for the kind words. Happy you enjoyed it. There is scenery from 20+ countries in this video. Let me know if you see anything you think we can improve.

Cheers

Really good! Your transitions look to be about every 4 seconds? I was hoping for a few seconds more on a couple of the shots, like the kite surfer guy, and one of the falls. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about it. It is really good.

Really good! Your transitions look to be about every 4 seconds? I was hoping for a few seconds more on a couple of the shots, like the kite surfer guy, and one of the falls. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about it. It is really good.
Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean. There are a number of shots in this video that deserved to be seen for longer than 3-4 seconds. I may make a few more changes based on feedback received here. I highly value feedback from the community so thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Really nice ... too add only one thing, there were a few water/sky shots where the blacks/shadows could have been lifted slightly ... I guess its rude of me not to add the exact locations, but I'm mostly saying it is already quite polished ... Some of the locations, very deserving of being filmed, have even more interesting features that were omitted ... that sandy greek island I recognized (been there) has a really cool rusty ship's hull (with grafiti) that would have been a nice target to zoom and focus on ... also thought I recognized Ha Long Bay in Vietnam ... some of the geography there is astounding and very deserving of a longer perhaps more dynamic view ... drool! Thank you for sharing your work ... :)

Really nice ... too add only one thing, there were a few water/sky shots where the blacks/shadows could have been lifted slightly ... I guess its rude of me not to add the exact locations, but I'm mostly saying it is already quite polished ... Some of the locations, very deserving of being filmed, have even more interesting features that were omitted ... that sandy greek island I recognized (been there) has a really cool rusty ship's hull (with grafiti) that would have been a nice target to zoom and focus on ... also thought I recognized Ha Long Bay in Vietnam ... some of the geography there is astounding and very deserving of a longer perhaps more dynamic view ... drool! Thank you for sharing your work ... :)
Thanks for your feedback, very appreciated. Can you specify the clips you refer to when speaking about shadows.

I think I should do a contest and give away a Phantom 4 for the first person who can name all the places filmed in the video. That could be cool. Sadly, neither Greek islands or Halong Bay are in this video :)

Cheers

Patrice

It looks great small! Am I missing a full screen version? It would be best to comment on a full screen for any knit picking about the image quality from clip to clip. I'm guessing it's just as great full screen though. On my very first watch I got a sense it may be a little long but that's a small screen version. Full screen those views and locations should dazzle enough to hold a viewer. Subsequent three more watches and I didn't feel it was long anymore. Nice intro and outro text. I really like your choices of the opening three clips- very strong. Transitions good- not overdone and feel good where they are placed on the cymbal swipes. I like white transitions and they work well here. If I'm really picking on anything that probably won't matter either way, it's that some clips don't hold up to the vast majority of not just amazing POI's, but artistically shot as well. I guess to say that 98% (roughly) is outstanding and a few in there are less so. Anyway, I bet you worked the crap out of that. Change nothing and it's killer- ready to go in my humble opinion.

It looks great small! Am I missing a full screen version? It would be best to comment on a full screen for any knit picking about the image quality from clip to clip. I'm guessing it's just as great full screen though. On my very first watch I got a sense it may be a little long but that's a small screen version. Full screen those views and locations should dazzle enough to hold a viewer. Subsequent three more watches and I didn't feel it was long anymore. Nice intro and outro text. I really like your choices of the opening three clips- very strong. Transitions good- not overdone and feel good where they are placed on the cymbal swipes. I like white transitions and they work well here. If I'm really picking on anything that probably won't matter either way, it's that some clips don't hold up to the vast majority of not just amazing POI's, but artistically shot as well. I guess to say that 98% (roughly) is outstanding and a few in there are less so. Anyway, I bet you worked the crap out of that. Change nothing and it's killer- ready to go in my humble opinion.
Thanks for the very kind words. Based on your feedback, I may replace 1-2 segments by some that are really WOW shots. We did not allow for the full screen yet, but when the video does go live, we will naturally have that in 4K and full screen. It does look stunning on an 80 inch 4K display :)

If you had to point out the shots you feel don't hold up to the others, which ones would they be?

Again, the feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks for the very kind words. Based on your feedback, I may replace 1-2 segments by some that are really WOW shots. We did not allow for the full screen yet, but when the video does go live, we will naturally have that in 4K and full screen. It does look stunning on an 80 inch 4K display :)

If you had to point out the shots you feel don't hold up to the others, which ones would they be?

Cheers
I'll watch again shortly and get back to you. Did I mention I'm thoroughly jealous of every location?! Oh yes indeed!

Cheers
My 4th viewing and I have to say, I think you nailed it. I don't think a thing needs to be changed.

If I remember my original thoughts correctly, I picked out the second waterfall shot somewhat into the film as a possible pull because you have awesome shots in the opening and it seems redundant. Another is the pyramid shot. You have a double on that one, one being wide and the next being tight. Maybe pick either or. Next is the overhead rotation above the kyacs- that's almost cliche now it's been done so much. And the last one is the pull away at the end. The sunset shot just before it is so gorgeous that it makes the final pull away look less remarkable. But all of these shots look awesome so it's not pulling anything down. Crap man, I only wish I had at that those locations to contribute a single worthy clip. Who am I to say anything, really. It's there, let it be.

Btw, do you know the birds used? All phantoms and inspires? Others?

My 4th viewing and I have to say, I think you nailed it. I don't think a thing needs to be changed.

If I remember my original thoughts correctly, I picked out the second waterfall shot somewhat into the film as a possible pull because you have awesome shots in the opening and it seems redundant. Another is the pyramid shot. You have a double on that one, one being wide and the next being tight. Maybe pick either or. Next is the overhead rotation above the kyacs- that's almost cliche now it's been done so much. And the last one is the pull away at the end. The sunset shot just before it is so gorgeous that it makes the final pull away look less remarkable. But all of these shots look awesome so it's not pulling anything down. Crap man, I only wish I had at that those locations to contribute a single worthy clip. Who am I to say anything, really. It's there, let it be.

Btw, do you know the birds used? All phantoms and inspires? Others?
Ok perfect, this is very specific feedback. I will look into those shots and see if I can substitute. When you mention the Kayaks sequence, which timecode are you referring to. There is a single kayak shot towards the end that I was planning on taking out. Is that the one you were talking about?

I really understand how you feel. We live on a beautiful planet and our mission statement is to showcase that beauty from the air. Life is full of surprises and you may end up filming one of these locations sooner than you think.

Cheers

Patrice

Ok perfect, this is very specific feedback. I will look into those shots and see if I can substitute. When you mention the Kayaks sequence, which timecode are you referring to. There is a single kayak shot towards the end that I was planning on taking out. Is that the one you were talking about?

I really understand how you feel. We live on a beautiful planet and our mission statement is to showcase that beauty from the air. Life is full of surprises and you may end up filming one of these locations sooner than you think.

Cheers

Patrice
I was looking at the clip around 1:30. Good luck with it. Like I said, if you don't do anything it's awesome just the way it is. It's all opinions. Yours matters most. And if I ever am so fortunate to film locations such as those, I wouldn't take it for granted, that's for sure. Until then I'll be looking up, and looking down. Take care.

Thanks for your feedback, very appreciated. Can you specify the clips you refer to when speaking about shadows.

I think I should do a contest and give away a Phantom 4 for the first person who can name all the places filmed in the video. That could be cool. Sadly, neither Greek islands or Halong Bay are in this video :)

Cheers

Patrice
Well I guess I'm doomed to remain a P3P owner! Here is what my mistake consisted of:

Zakynthos Travel Guide: Guide To Shipwreck Cove Zakynthos

I think this place might probably be "over filmed" ... if that's possible.

Reactions: Avocet

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik