Need clear instruction regarding the 20 cycle then discharge for battery.

Reaction score
Hi guys! I Just got my Phantom 3 pro. Im very new to this kind of hobby. This would be my very first RC/Drone to be owned. I've read the manuals and every instructions that can help me maintain my new phantom 3.

Yet, there is an area about the manual regarding about that you should discharge the battery after 20 cycle.
I want to know,. what is that suppose to mean? Should i keep flying my phantom 3 normally? Then after 20 flights. i discharge it to 100% to 8%? I know that this is such a newbie question. But i really need some light about this cycles.

Thanks Guys!

Hi guys! I Just got my Phantom 3 pro. Im very new to this kind of hobby. This would be my very first RC/Drone to be owned. I've read the manuals and every instructions that can help me maintain my new phantom 3.

Yet, there is an area about the manual regarding about that you should discharge the battery after 20 cycle.
I want to know,. what is that suppose to mean? Should i keep flying my phantom 3 normally? Then after 20 flights. i discharge it to 100% to 8%? I know that this is such a newbie question. But i really need some light about this cycles.

Thanks Guys!
The consensus is to not fly your batteries past 50% for the first 10 cycles. But yes, the 21st flight should be 100% to 8% for each of your packs.

The consensus is to not fly your batteries past 50% for the first 10 cycles. But yes, the 21st flight should be 100% to 8% for each of your packs.
Wow! thanks for the help.
So since I just got it, I shouldn't be flying my phantom up until below 50% on my first 10 flight? After the 10th flight. I can go to 100% - 35%? Then on my 20th . 100%-8%?
I hope i'm on the right track here.
I'm so glad that guys on this forum are nice and very instructive. Live long!

So since I just got it, I shouldn't be flying my phantom up until below 50% on my first 10 flight? After the 10th flight. I can go to 100% - 35%? Then on my 20th . 100%-8%?
yup.

That doesn't mean that after your 20th charge cycle you go down to 8% every flight.........you should only go down to approx 30% for the next 20 charging cycles, and then do another one down to 8%, and so on.

That doesn't mean that after your 20th charge cycle you go down to 8% every flight.........you should only go down to approx 30% for the next 20 charging cycles, and then do another one down to 8%, and so on.
Thank you for clarifying! now I gained some confidence about maintaining my battery. I rather ask newbie questions to you guys than just being such a guy know at all.
Thank you Guys!

Out of the gate i've been cycling two batteries...i fly both to 30% or thereabouts, then recharge. I have not done the 50% and then charge again. hope i didnt ruin everything :-(

Out of the gate i've been cycling two batteries...i fly both to 30% or thereabouts, then recharge. I have not done the 50% and then charge again. hope i didnt ruin everything :-(

You didn't - battery usage is a bit of a "holy war" subject - some will tell you that you are shortening the life of your battery by not properly breaking them in (yet DJI does not recommend any such break in period) and others will tell you that you can just fly to 30% right out of the box.

If you want to see a big holy war... ask how you should properly dispose of a Lipo battery (including whether you can drain a lipo fully by soaking it in salt water yada yada yada) -

Don't lose sleep over it - just follow the guidelines that DJI recommends and every 20 cycles discharge to around 8%.

My point is - you'll get a lot of differing opinions here... match up the ones that fit your understanding and comfort zone and then go have fun flying :)

Reactions: Tricky
Take care of your intelligent flight batteries, and they will take care of you... ;-)
Yes, soft break in, then all out, balls to the wall...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: AirApparent
Good thread. I hadn't known about the 20th time then down to 8% on the batteries yet. According to my flight logs I have 5 more flights on each battery.. but to be honest I'm pretty sure I have taken them down to 8% at some point already. Haven't even been keeping track. :-/

It's weird how some of these battery charges, don't actually register in the intelligent battery log. So when counting the twenty charges, Let the onboard counter be the signal. I had been keeping a hand written record, of each charge cycle, and wanted my stats to be accurate.

RedHotPoker

The way I see it, the batteries are only $149. If how I use them make them useless faster oh well it's only $149.
Yes, that is true, but why light the fuse, and blow it out of the sky-- just to see the battery go haywire and maybe crash your Phantom makes no sense... those motors are electric and a bad lipo battery can become useless pretty fast at 300 feet in the air. I guess if you consider 1200 bucks plus all the upgrades and efforts to get the P3 in flying state-- then it is only money and we should all have two or three sitting on the shelf as spares . :D:D "Fly it like you stole it" and you wont have it long or have use of the 149 dollar batteries. :):):)

Treat those lipos nice and they will treat you nice..... For a while. Treat that lipo like she was the most beautiful model in the world and she was your girl friend... Keep one eye on her at all times. You don't want her to drop you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl