Need advise from you guys on crashed drone i was given.

Reaction score
I got a Phantom 3 advanced from someone that had crashed it pretty bad completely pilot error. They didnt want it anymore and are giving up on the drones so gave it to me for free.
They completely lost the camera , popped the shell open a little , lost one of the antennas on the landing gear. and landing gear is bent and deformed. It seems to have landed very hard straight down on its landing gear since the gears bent and deformed and i am not seeing any kind of damage to the top of it or on the ends of any of the arms.
I decided to see if it would still start up and fly after popping the shell back together where it was open a little. I hooked it up to the go app and did a IMU calibration and it completed , did a compass calibration. it started and flys really well even with one antenna missing. I flew it once just for a quick test, then the second time i flew it for about 15 minutes checking the led indicators on the battery to make sure it didnt die while i was flying and it flew fine both times and holds position even in gusty wind.
The problems are as follows. it shows up as a P3 professional on the go app, shows obstructed motor, and none of the info is showing up on the app as far as battery info, signal info . i haven't flown it out far or higher then 60 feet , the RTH works fine . my question is, could the missing antenna be causing the telemetry not to show on the app. and what would cause it to show obstructed motor when all of the motors are working fine? Oh on healthy drones it is showing up as an inspire.

I already ordered a shell , landing gear and 4 new antennas plus the cables for the camera the long one that goes into the body was broken and before i flew it i made sure none of the conductors were touching each other on it just as not to have anything short out on it. Im planning on replacing the shell, and all the broken parts except for the camera to see what happens. I dont want to invest in a new gimbal and camera unless i can correct the other problems.
Thanks for any Information or input in advance.

Well Gervin, you're lucky getting the P3 for nowt, that's for sure! There can't be much wrong with the AC given it's flying, and I guess the antenna is an easy fix if you still have a remnant of the original wire available? However, given it was free, you'd probably be best to get an expert look and it and undertake the repair. Others on here who've undertaken rebuilds will be along shortly I'm sure....

Well Gervin, you're lucky getting the P3 for nowt, that's for sure! There can't be much wrong with the AC given it's flying, and I guess the antenna is an easy fix if you still have a remnant of the original wire available? However, given it was free, you'd probably be best to get an expert look and it and undertake the repair. Others on here who've undertaken rebuilds will be along shortly I'm sure....
Thanks Numone, i also ordered 4 new antennas as one was off when he got it back after the crash. The new shell and cables should be in today but the antennas and the landing gear with compass wont be in til the 22nd. hoping to get some more input . its crazy how its showing on the dji go app as a phantom 3 pro and showing on healthy drones as an inspire.

Thanks Numone, i also ordered 4 new antennas as one was off when he got it back after the crash. The new shell and cables should be in today but the antennas and the landing gear with compass wont be in til the 22nd. hoping to get some more input . its crazy how its showing on the dji go app as a phantom 3 pro and showing on healthy drones as an inspire.
Sounds like you've got it covered then and hats off to you, going with a home repair! Hmmmm, it sounds like you have a Frankinphantom - it's an A, but GO says it's a P and HD says it's an I?!? LOL!

Reactions: Gervin
Are you sure it's not a GIMBAL motor error you are getting? That would be likely with the gimbal and camera gone.

Reactions: Ando
Are you sure it's not a GIMBAL motor error you are getting? That would be likely with the gimbal and camera gone.
all its saying is motor obstruction error. i exit the error and it flies fine. I am actually thinking about taking the camera and gimbal off of my Phantom 3 advanced and trying it out if all goes well with my repair to see if it will work ok and to update the firmware but my P3A works perfectly so im a little afraid to mess with it at all.

Sounds like you've got it covered then and hats off to you, going with a home repair! Hmmmm, it sounds like you have a Frankinphantom - it's an A, but GO says it's a P and HD says it's an I?!? LOL!
Still hoping one of the tech guys in the group can come on and give me some ideas as to what is going on , this site has alot of people much smarter then i am when it comes to these things..

The P3A and P3 Pro are the same aircraft, except for the camera, stickers, and firmware. Being that there is no camera, you could probably select either aircraft version from the GO app, and it will still connect. Once you do connect a camera, the app will only connect to the correct type, P3A or P3 PRO.

The P3A and P3 Pro are the same aircraft, except for the camera, stickers, and firmware. Being that there is no camera, you could probably select either aircraft version from the GO app, and it will still connect. Once you do connect a camera, the app will only connect to the correct type, P3A or P3 PRO.
Thank you, I wasn't really too worried about that part, I'm wondering what's could be causing the telemetry not to be working. Do you think the camera and gimbal missing would do that or the missing antenna. Or maybe something more serious to where I'm wasting my money and time repairing it such as something on the main board

Thank you, I wasn't really too worried about that part, I'm wondering what's could be causing the telemetry not to be working. Do you think the camera and gimbal missing would do that or the missing antenna. Or maybe something more serious to where I'm wasting my money and time repairing it such as something on the main board

Yea, I was answering the part about your bird showing up as a P4P. As far as telemetry, that comes from the main board via RF signal, so if you have a broken antenna, that's probably the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yea, I was answering the part about your bird showing up as a P4P. As far as telemetry, that comes from the main board via RF signal, so if you have a broken antenna, that's probably the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Thank you. Hopefully it will be ok once it's all put back together in a new shell with new antennas.

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj