Need Advice on Repairing a Wounded Bird

Reaction score
My bird (P3 Pro) took a hard fall onto dirt/grass from an altitude of about 30' after one of the props rocketed off (Landed upside down). Overall, I was pretty dang fortunate that the damage is somewhat minor. However, I am needing some advice on how to repair the bent camera arm (see photo), body damage (see photo) and opinion on whether the front black motor is slightly bent and whether that makes much difference. There appears to be a little bit of a "wobble" affect when the motor is going that I don't see on the other props. Greatly appreciate any bit of advice. Please see photos and video. Thanks in advance!

Video of Prop Wobble:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    780 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 609
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    840.1 KB · Views: 655
Here's what I'd do:

1) Replace the props. That'll hopefully fix the wobble.
2) Try bending the gimbal yaw arm back in place with pliers. If that fails or you're not happy with that fix, then purchase a replacement yaw arm. DJI does not sell them, but you can find them on Amazon and eBay.
3) Open the Phantom shell and snap it back together properly.

Here's what I'd do:

2) Try bending the gimbal yaw arm back in place with pliers. If that fails or you're not happy with that fix, then purchase a replacement yaw arm. DJI does not sell them, but you can find them on Amazon and eBay.

Replacing the gimbal arm can be a long process. The flat gimbal cable may need replaced as well since it adheres to the arm being replaced, it might not stick to a new arm. It could be a 3-4 hour process.

I would try to stay clear of the flat cable and try to repair the arm.

Good luck!

Here is what I would do and have. Buy a new body for $55. Transfer everything over carefully. It is not hard. While u have it open u can check for other damage inside. I found the carriage that holds the MB was broken. That part is $3. Then I would replace the bent arm or send it to Hunch to do for u. When I got done it looked just like new for about $100

The propeller wobble sounds like a bent rotor to me. Replace that motor. Otherwise, everyone else sounds right on the money.

Here's what I'd do:

Thank you for your suggestions. Went and ahead and replaced the props and snapped the shell back together. However, when I tested it today the video I shot was quite shaky (See Video Below). Do you think this could be caused by one of the motors being slightly bent/off. I flew the bird at my eye level and looked at the props and didn't notice any significant issues. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The propeller wobble sounds like a bent rotor to me. Replace that motor. Otherwise, everyone else sounds right on the money.
Thank you for your suggestions. Went and ahead and replaced the props and snapped the shell back together. However, when I tested it today the video I shot was quite shaky (See Video Below). You suggested one of the motors might be slightly bent/off. Any suggestions on how to replace? Or how to know for sure? I flew the bird at my eye level and looked at the props and didn't notice any significant issues. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I flew the bird at my eye level and looked at the props and didn't notice any significant issues.
How does the prop look when it's spinning on your table? Does the top still wobble like in your video above?

Thank you for your suggestions. Went and ahead and replaced the props and snapped the shell back together. However, when I tested it today the video I shot was quite shaky (See Video Below). Do you think this could be caused by one of the motors being slightly bent/off. I flew the bird at my eye level and looked at the props and didn't notice any significant issues. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The fact that you can see the vibration in the video means that frequency is much lower than any vibration associated with motor rotation. More likely, the vibration is associated with a loose motor (which presumably you've checked). Or, some kind of intermittent propulsion issue; possibly a loose wire or broken solder joint. This would show up in the .DAT file. If you want to check this I can do it for you, or show you how to check for yourself.

I didn't read the posts closely enough to understand why you think the vibration is associated with this particular motor/prop. You're convinced of this?

The fact that you can see the vibration in the video means that frequency is much lower than any vibration associated with motor rotation. More likely, the vibration is associated with a loose motor (which presumably you've checked). Or, some kind of intermittent propulsion issue; possibly a loose wire or broken solder joint. This would show up in the .DAT file. If you want to check this I can do it for you, or show you how to check for yourself.

I didn't read the posts closely enough to understand why you think the vibration is associated with this particular motor/prop. You're convinced of this?

Thank you for your reply. I think I cracked the case this morning on why the video has severe "shake". It looks as those the gimbal arm is pressed up against the undercarriage of the camera mount (see photos). Is this normal for the gimbal arm to be scraping the under carriage like that or could it have bent from the fall?
I'd imagine that if the gimbal arm is touching the main body/under carriage then the vibrations wold carry down to the camera.

How does the prop look when it's spinning on your table? Does the top still wobble like in your video above?

The prop wobble actually doesn't look that noticeable now. I cant remember if its normal for some of the props to be at an "angle" from the other ones. For example, the front right prop goes slightly down or under the other front prop and same with the back props. It looks like they all have angle to some degree...Is that correct? I flew the drone at eye level yesterday to look at the prop profiles and they all were slight angled from the other ones. As far as vibration goes, it looks like my gimbal arm is scraping the under carriage of the entire camera mount (see photos). If that gimbal arm is touching that under carriage during flight, i'd imagine the vibrations from the motors would carry down to the camera. Thoughts?

Thank you for your reply. I think I cracked the case this morning on why the video has severe "shake". It looks as those the gimbal arm is pressed up against the undercarriage of the camera mount (see photos). Is this normal for the gimbal arm to be scraping the under carriage like that or could it have bent from the fall?
I'd imagine that if the gimbal arm is touching the main body/under carriage then the vibrations wold carry down to the camera.
When I try to view those pictures I get a "You do not have permission to view media within this album.". But, it doesn't sound normal.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a set screw where the gimbal arm attaches to the shaft. Sometimes this works loose. It's a 1.5 mm hex I think. There are posts with videos but I can't locate one right now. I bet @msinger knows where one of these posts are.

When I try to view those pictures I get a "You do not have permission to view media within this album.". But, it doesn't sound normal.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a set screw where the gimbal arm attaches to the shaft. Sometimes this works loose. It's a 1.5 mm hex I think. There are posts with videos but I can't locate one right now. I bet @msinger knows where one of these posts are.
Ah sorry, went ahead and made them open to the public. I'll take a look at that set of screws. Thank you.

Ah sorry, went ahead and made them open to the public. I'll take a look at that set of screws. Thank you.
That's not normal. In your first image it looks like the gimbal arm has moved up the shaft. There is more of the inside of the gimbal arm showing than on mine.That's why it's scraping. Loosen that screw move it down and re-tighten. The shaft has a flat side.

Lemme amend that. It almost looks like the shaft and the gimbal arm have moved together up into the mechanism above the gimbal.

Lemme amend that. It almost looks like the shaft and the gimbal arm have moved together up into the mechanism above the gimbal.
That's an interesting take. Looking at google images of Phantom 3 Gimbals I can't quite understand what you are saying. Seems like mine for the most part is normal, maybe just a little bent which is making it scrape on the underside. I'll still go ahead and take it apart and make sure that's not the case.

Just curious, looking back the start of this thread, you said that one of the props 'rocketed off'. How did this happen? They are self tightening. Does this happen very often? I just got my p3p and haven't even launched it for the first time, yet. So, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Just curious, looking back the start of this thread, you said that one of the props 'rocketed off'. How did this happen? They are self tightening. Does this happen very often? I just got my p3p and haven't even launched it for the first time, yet. So, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Kel, To be honest I have no idea how it came off. I'd recommend that once the prop catches the motor and starts to spin it (when putting props on) that you grab the motor with your index finger and thumb and keep tightening the prop until it stops. My neighbor just got one yesterday and I gave him the heads up on that issue. Supposedly the thread on the inside of the prop could have been worn too since these props have plastic threads instead of the old metal threads.

A BIT OF ADVICE: Every time you take off, only take off to about 5' and wait for about 30 seconds. That way, if anything catastrophic happens you wont fall far. My problems was that I took off fast and hard, climbed to about 30' and then the prop came off. Didn't take my own advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers