Need advice on filming while moving!

Reaction score
I got my Phantom Vision 2 for Xmas, and I now have about 15 flights under my belt. 10 of the 15 flights have been over water, but always using GPS mode while I control the Phantom from land. I have had no issues, and the Phantom has worked properly every time. I would like to go out on my boat and fly the Phantom around the boat as the boat moves thru the water like I have seen in some of the videos that are posted, but I would like some advice on the S1 switch position. Under these conditions, I assume GPS mode does nothing for you. Do I need to fly the Phantom in Atti or manual mode? Should I let the Phantom lock on to the GPS satellites and flash green lights before taking off, or does this even matter. Should I practice flying in Atti and manual mode first to get the feel before trying. This maybe a fairly straight forward answer, but I thought I would ask before trying it out. Thanks joejoda

I would like some advice on the S1 switch position. Under these conditions, I assume GPS mode does nothing for you. Do I need to fly the Phantom in Atti or manual mode?

Yes atti mode would do better for moving shots without a gimble
but also remember to take off from land so if there are any issues,the return to home is not in the water

Should I let the Phantom lock on to the GPS satellites and flash green lights before taking off

Yes otherwise the default setting will be just land not good out on the water,

Let say that I don't take off from land but from my boat out on the water. GPS and Return Home really don't have any value. Most of my flights have been over water where I take off from land, but I want to go offshore or away from land when I take off. I am assume that Atti mode would be best under these conditions. Right?

joejoda said:
Do I need to fly the Phantom in Atti or manual mode?
Atti mode at most. You do not want to be messing with manual mode over water, or land for that matter, without a lot more flying practice. In fact until you can successfully hover something like a micro quad with nothing but gyros in it you'll find it near impossible to fly in manual mode, especially if you're on a boat and its a moving target.

joejoda said:
Should I let the Phantom lock on to the GPS satellites and flash green lights before taking off, or does this even matter.
Always. It's your get out of jail free card in an unforced return to home scenario. However, if you are flying off a boat that's moving around then even if you reset the home location from time to time it will still end up in the drink if you can't recover from failsafe for some reason (tx battery out, for example).

jojoda said:
Should I practice flying in Atti and manual mode first to get the feel before trying.
Yes for the former. It's not really any harder than GPS mode except the aircraft won't hold in one spot when you let go of the sticks, but will carry on the direction it was going when you let go. It will also be blown along by the wind if you flick out of a GPS hover. You need to think about this when planning shots.
No for the latter until you have a lot more experience, and for your first attempts be at height, and know how to flick it back into GPS sharpish!

joejoda said:
Let say that I don't take off from land but from my boat out on the water. GPS and Return Home really don't have any value. Most of my flights have been over water where I take off from land, but I want to go offshore or away from land when I take off. I am assume that Atti mode would be best under these conditions. Right?

RTH doesn't help you. But GPS mode might if it's all going wrong in atti mode, or you need time to think, or to steer the boat? Flick into GPS and the aircraft will sit where you left it while you sort everything else out. In atti mode it won't stay put. That can increase your workload a lot if you are juggling the aircraft, boat, fiddling with the camera app... meanwhile the breeze is blowing it merrily away if you haven't got a GPS hover going.

So, sounds like you need to secure GPS flashing green lights before trying to take off. Sounds like you fly in Atti mode and then switch to GPS mode if you need help. Sound right?

You should start with a home lock before takeoff, it doesn't matter if on land or sea as you can retake control by putting S1 into the center position in event of a fail safe.

You can reset your home position by flicking the S2 switch all the way down and up 5 times. You will be followed by a flashing green tail light confirmation. Even though you're a moving target at least occasionally resetting the home position will prevent the Phantom from flying way out of range in the wrong direction should you enter fail safe.

If the boat is moving and you enter fail safe make sure you have a quick and direct line of communication with the boat driver. If you enter fail safe you can tell them to stop and turn around.

The range or the phantom transmitter is pretty long so it's unlikely you'll end up needing to worry about the fail safe engaging unless your transmitter dies.

Do NOT use manual mode. You will never see your Phantom again. Stick with GPS and Attitude modes. Attitude mode is more responsive in terms of stick movement. You can also go faster but you will loose altitude if going full steam ahead vs flying in GPS mode. Atti mode should give you smoother camera footage when used right and making best use of wind and wind direction.

Also keep in mind that your phantom will no longer hold its position in the air in Atti mode and will drift in the direction of the wind. The Phantom will also not stop on its own when flying in any direction after you center the sticks. It will continue to drift until moment runs out or if you manually correct.

Attach foam floats to the landing skid so in the event of a water landing you can go back and get your phantom.

GPS mode should help. If you find a central point in the water that you wish to do your video, drop a marker maybe as a quick reference to your launch point. Launch there after getting all your satellites locked. Fly in atti. Watch your time carefully. If you do get in trouble hit RTH and head back over to your launch point that you may have marked. The Phantom will fly back and hover for a bit so you should have time to catch it as it comes down. This is a method that may give you a chance to save it if you have a problem. You do want somebody that knows how to handle a boat.

If it was me I would make short flight times to prevent issues from arising. Editing a video like this can come out nice anyway. One continuous video may get boring anyway unless you are an awesome pilot that can keep a nice circle, dive, race etc. So, launch get your video, land/catch in the boat and put in fresh battery and do it again. Repeat as necessary. Go home, edit, make it yours.

GPS home lock is a safety net. Your suggestions are not a bad idea as long as the boat stays in the same general area. It is a good disaster recovery plan. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers