Need Advice Filming commercial buildings (outside to inside)

Reaction score
I have a warehouse that I'm shooting some film via way points and was hoping some of you have some experience.

The building has a few 16x16 ft grade level roll up doors. I flew an aerial of the building, then tried to record a point next to the grade door for safe entry, with the intent the next recorded point would bring the done inside the warehouse.

I saw this on another video, but when I tried it, the drones last move stopped outside the grade and never entered. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Waypoint flying depends on GPS. GPS does not work well/at all in steel framed buildings. Commercial buildings are built with steel frame construction. Put all those things together and I don't think you're going to be able to do waypoint flying inside your building. I suspect you're limited to "atti" mode.

Thanks duncan. Understood. Alot of rebar, but this is a concrete tilt and I've seen video of it working.... Perhaps it was in atti.....

Rebar and all other metal in a building still does a number on GPS signals. Before you waste time trying to build a waypoint mission, I suggest flying through the roll-up doors and watch the GPS signal. If it holds steady fly around the area you plan to film, being vigilant in case it switches to "atti" mode and starts drifting around.

I would start inside and set the P3 on the floor where you expect to land or fly to and look at the GPS signal without it flying around. Its safer and might allow you to map out where in the building you receive signal. I also found starting in and flying out of buildings was easier than flying in, perhaps just due to the phsylogical feeling that flying out was to safety of GPS.

Very risky flying inside a building if depending on GPS. You may be fine at certain points but may loose GPS and have to switch to ATTI. There is usually some confusion associated with the switch over and loss of control is possible. I would at least practice in ATTI mode before attempting the flight inside as the craft reacts much differently in that mode. Good luck.

Reactions: grottoli
I own a commercial unit and would definitely not risk an automated flight inside. I filmed the roof a couple of weeks back for a pre-survey as we are fitting a new roof, but the gps lock would suffer if I had gone inside. Way too risky IMO. Manual flight would be best and keeping a close eye on it at that.

If there's no wind flow inside - and you're quite decent as a pilot - you can fly ATTI without much problem, trying both VPS on and off to see what's best. I'm currently filming a project for a big mall company here, it's called "Extreme Angles" and it's basically fly-around on hallways, stairs/elevators, stores, play area and food courts, etc. footage for posterior editing for various commercial uses. I'm only flying ATTI (of course I'm flying and shooting during closed hours) and didn't have trouble doing it.

I did something similar in office buildings, a couple hotels and also one storage warehouse last yr, if there's no wind it's not that tricky really because the P3 is quite stable. I'd suggest you also try different EXPO curves on the control, something less aggressive can make for easier/safer flying and also produce smoother footage. At least I get good results this way. It's pretty cool to film indoors, the results can be awesome and unique. And since not many pilots here are exploring it I'm getting some nice contracts going this way lately.

Good luck!

[never done that but...] I'd fly in ATTI mode inside to outside, then reverse it in post, if necessary.

Just stick the drone on a broomhandle and walk thru the open metal building while videoing............

Edit it where it splices at the outside flight to the inside "flight"
That is a natural spot and it will appear that you flew into the steel building.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do that shot within a waypoint mission. You could pull it off four different ways. One, hold the bird and film the move from outside to inside. Two, and more tricky, fly the approach to the door and hand catch from behind, cut motors, and continue the shot holding the bird for one continuous shot. Three, fly atti mode for the shot. Four, fly from inside to outside and reverse the shot in post. It's a custom shot on its own. Good luck.

Appreciate all the responses. I actually called the company that did the video.... Turns out they did as most of you said....

Recorded waypiunt to the spot just before entering, then did another shot on manual of bird entering... combined clips.

Killed the suspense of how they did it, but shouldve known better!

Thanks all.

If there's no wind flow inside - and you're quite decent as a pilot - you can fly ATTI without much problem, trying both VPS on and off to see what's best. I'm currently filming a project for a big mall company here, it's called "Extreme Angles" and it's basically fly-around on hallways, stairs/elevators, stores, play area and food courts, etc. footage for posterior editing for various commercial uses. I'm only flying ATTI (of course I'm flying and shooting during closed hours) and didn't have trouble doing it.

I did something similar in office buildings, a couple hotels and also one storage warehouse last yr, if there's no wind it's not that tricky really because the P3 is quite stable. I'd suggest you also try different EXPO curves on the control, something less aggressive can make for easier/safer flying and also produce smoother footage. At least I get good results this way. It's pretty cool to film indoors, the results can be awesome and unique. And since not many pilots here are exploring it I'm getting some nice contracts going this way lately.

Good luck!

I gather you live someplace with more sane laws than the US on commercial use of UAVs?

Put the bird on a painters pole act like it's flying moving it around as if flying the photo and video will be the same

I want to film a fly-through of a testing lane that is open with large rollup doors on both sides.

My current plan is to strap the Phantom to the roof of my car, drive the car through while filming, then edit it together with the exterior footage.

Have the same idea in mind for a nearby tunnel...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr