Need advice between 3 standard and pro

Reaction score
I just bought the Phantom 3 standard. I film boat docks and post the videos on Facebook and YouTube as sales tools. I have to fly in some tight areas. I am wondering if I am better off getting the Pro with the 4K camera for quality and would it be a little more stable in the areas I have to fly. I use it for business so if the quality is better I want to upgrade. Any advice would be great.

The Pro has a lot of great features compared to the Standard:
  • 4K (obviously better quality)
  • Higher max bitrate than P3S and P3A
  • Better controller with dedicated buttons for camera, exposure wheel, RTH, and shortcut buttons C1/C2
  • Faster charger
  • WAY longer range
  • More stable/stronger connection
  • Wired connection to phone/tablet
  • Controller can hold a tablet
There are more differences, but those are just the main ones that came to mind. If you don't necessarily need 4K, then the P3A could be a good choice. Everything above applies, except the 4K, faster charger, and higher bitrate.

Thank you for the help. Since I do use this for work and will be spending another 500.00 to upgrade would I be better off spending more and getting the DJI 4. I had the 2 for a long time and have flown for awhile. Just don't want to do this again in a few months if the 4 is worth it. I just find a lot of mixed reviews on the Phantom 4.

QUOTE="DroneDestination, post: 820669, member: 51038"]The Pro has a lot of great features compared to the Standard:
  • 4K (obviously better quality)
  • Higher max bitrate than P3S and P3A
  • Better controller with dedicated buttons for camera, exposure wheel, RTH, and shortcut buttons C1/C2
  • Faster charger
  • WAY longer range
  • More stable/stronger connection
  • Wired connection to phone/tablet
  • Controller can hold a tablet
There are more differences, but those are just the main ones that came to mind. If you don't necessarily need 4K, then the P3A could be a good choice. Everything above applies, except the 4K, faster charger, and higher bitrate.[/QUOTE]

would I be better off spending more and getting the DJI 4
It really depends on whether or not the new Phantom 4 features are worth the extra cost to you. Check out my thread here for a list of the new features.

Also, since you are using it for business, and have a large enough budget, the DJI Inspire 1 could be a more professional option, down to $1999 on DJI's site. The Inspire 2 will likely be coming out soon.

the DJI Inspire 1 could be a more professional option
I would not advise anyone to buy this simply for the fact that others think it looks "more professional". There are some serious drawbacks to an Inspire 1 v.s. a Phantom.

I would not advise anyone to buy this simply for the fact that others think it looks "more professional". There are some serious drawbacks to an Inspire 1 v.s. a Phantom.
I do realize that at this point a P4 has a significantly larger feature set than the I1. For some people/businesses, this trade off is worth it for clients to see that the OP is a professional and not really just someone with a fancy toy (which a Phantom isn't but appears to be).

It's just the OP's preference at this point

If I was the OP, I would focus on dazzling my clients with results and buying the equipment that is best suited for the job.

If I was the OP, I would focus on dazzling my clients with results and buying the equipment that is best suited for the job.
Thanks for the response. I plan to use this as a huge tool so the extra 800.00 or so doesn't bother me if it's worth it.

I plan to use this as a huge tool so the extra 800.00 or so doesn't bother me if it's worth it.
If you're referring to upgrading to an Inspire 1, it'll cost a lot more than an extra $800. Just buying a hard case for it will set you back $450 or so. Unless you're planning on flying via dual operator, the P3P or P4 is probably the better buy for you functionalty-wise.

Just curious, what are those drawbacks?

Just curious, what are those drawbacks?
Curiosity killed the cat.

Here are some of the major drawbacks (for me):
  • It's more expensive
  • The accessories are more expensive
  • Transportation can be a hassle due to its size
  • It's not as portable when carrying it around outside of the case due to its size
  • It takes more time to setup
  • Reduced flight time due to its weight
  • It's not as easy to hand catch/release (if required)
  • It's not as easy to fly indoors (if required)
  • Spare parts are not as accessible and/or require advanced knowledge in order to do the repair work
  • Less people fly Inspire 1s, so it'll be tougher to find people to help when in need
In short, it's a lot of hardship to endure just to try to impress someone. And, on top of all of that, the video/photo quality is exactly the same (unless you have the Pro).

Last edited:
I am not looking at getting one, I just thought the question needed exploring here as the OP could be interested.

I ordered the DJI 4. I film Boat docks and the houses also. I wasn't happy with the 3 standard and suggestions on filters. I usually film during the day over water when it's very bright. Should I wait from 4k for my You tube and Facebook. I would like to find a class on editing. I usually use poi and film from there. I'm open to a NB better way now thanks for all your help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1