Need advice before I buy...

Reaction score
Looking to get a drone to carry a item ( to train my dogs) the size of a 32oz Gatorade bottle that weighs 1.6lbs. From all the videos I've seen the phantom 1 looks plenty powerful to fly it out the distance I need, about 200-300yds.

Do you think it would work for me?

Also I'm wondering the best place to buy one. I saw b &h sells used ones for $300. Thanks for any advice!

A bare-bones P1 Phantom can't lift off reliably with more than 3/4 Lbs of payload.

With that payload you're flight time will dramatically be reduced ... maybe to 3-4 minutes max.

Carrying that extra weight will also make it very sluggish to your control.

I agree^ 3-4 mins max! Overall weight of 3lbs is all it can carry. The p1 weights just about 2lbs with a gopro

For that amount of weight you're looking at a F550 at the very least.
a4689423-171-IMG_1516.jpg

I agree^ 3-4 mins max! Overall weight of 3lbs is all it can carry. The p1 weights just about 2lbs with a gopro

Out of the box, a P1 weighs about 1.66 lbs. (830g)
Recommended maximum lift off weight with everything being carried is is about 2.40 lbs. (1200 g)
That means you can only safely fly carrying no more than 3/4 lbs.

Not sure where you're getting a max 3lbs overall weight from?

I'd recommend only a total weight of no more than 2.4 lbs, especially for a new pilot.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. Any ideas on what drone would do what I need it to? I'm on a pretty tight budget so around the same price would be nice. F 550? Is that dji product?

It might also fly like a brick with that kind of weight. Could be hard getting out of the way if Fido decides to go for the drone. Also, please consider that Fido could get seriously injured by the props.

That said, I have no idea how you're going to use the drone so maybe it's not a factor.

I agree 100% with JKDSensei,

Carrying the weight you want to, it will be a very hard to control and dangerous to have around either people or dogs.

This video will give you an idea how dangerous these are... especially if you're not an experienced pilot.

If I were you, I wouldn't do it.... must be another way to do what you want.

I agree 100% with JKDSensei,
Carrying the weight you want to, it will be a very hard to control and dangerous to have around either people or dogs.This video will give you an idea how dangerous these are... especially if you're not an experienced pilot.
If I were you, I wouldn't do it.... must be another way to do what you want.

I hope he heeds this....... for the sake of his pets.

Itll be flown in the middle of nowhere dogs won't be around until it's off and on the ground. I just need one to carry something across a open field a couple hundred yards without leaving a scent trail. I don't need cameras or to get there fast. To be honest it doesn't even need to be flown back just go out and land.

Any cheaper less complex drones other than the f550? I obviously have zero experience in this so if this is ridiculous and can't be done I guess I'll have to wait a yr or two until the technology is cheaper

That sorta info can make a LOT of difference with regard to advice.

Any compromise about the payload? Must it be 1.6lbs/725g?

I wonder if a stripped (no video) bare P1 with 9450 props might be able to do the minimum job you described? Gonna fly like a frozen turkey for sure.

But 1st thing, buy a cheap sub $50 MR (multi-rotor) and figure out basic operation(s) before moving to something as serious and expensive as a Phantom, F550 or similar.

Our little fluffy loves to chase P1 or any MR…

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4