Need a source to learn about FPV

Reaction score
I have a P2, h3-3d and a gopro 3. Time to venture out. I've been surfing for weeks but having trouble getting the idea of all the needed components and possibilities. Any suggestions on sites, blogs, etc. Everyone here is so knowledgeable yet they must have learned it all the hard way. It's tough to find anything in print.

I'm glad that's still helping people! there's also a stickythread in this forum with links and lowest prices. since I replied here I'm now watching this thread, feel free to ask questions here

Thanks guys for the feedback. That blog I was directed to was so well done. He should video it to youtube. Before I go down that path, I would like to consider getting the equipment for extended range. Better to buy the gear once than twice. That lead me to look at the Lightbridge. Great specs, but correct me.., I would have to buy a new transmitter and be forced to purchase an Andriod phone. And it doesn't hook up directly to a larger monitor instead of the phone ? I must be wrong on this point.

So the base unit at $1400, if I could sneak this by my wife is not the hole package ? Do you have suggestions for part names, web pages etc for extended range equipment needed.
I understand that the P2 is a 2.4 controller so I need to look for video equipment in the 5.8 range (unless it's digital). I may have to buy the Lightbridge add on's slowly if I go that direction. It's 4 to 6 times the cost to set up though. I'm sure I'm not the only guy with an oversight committee (wife).

I could go cheap but flying to the end of the parking lot doesn't sound like fun. I was once a commercial pilot and this appears to be a reasonable way to get back into the air with the view and feel of flying again (cheaply too). Besides, if I crash one of these I'll still be home for dinner.

I really appreciate the time you have given me and am thankful for any reply. I am a little disappointed (actually, greatly disappointed) that 160 people viewed my request, yet only 3 would respond to it. Is this a sample of what to expect from this community ?

tsy98dh said:
I really appreciate the time you have given me and am thankful for any reply. I am a little disappointed (actually, greatly disappointed) that 160 people viewed my request, yet only 3 would respond to it. Is this a sample of what to expect from this community ?

honestly, it's probably because your (original) question has been asked here a million times and indeed there aren't that many of us who don't remind repeating the same info over and over that is covered in countless other posts and blogs around the intertubes.
take a look at other threads, specific questions get responses but "i don't know anything about fpv so teach me from the ground up" threads tend to be skipped a lot.

Lightbridge is an all-in-one solution and it's hella expensive compared to piecing it together yourself which can be done for under $500 easy. I don't know what kind of screen you need for it all I know is that it's an HD transmission instead of SD which is what all our pieced-together systems are. HD FPV (and local recording) would be good for example if you were flying your Phantom around a volcano and it was lost, if you were recording a HD FPV feed you'd still have useable cool video, as opposed to my Phantom where the only nice recording is on the local SD card so I have to be able to recover at least that.

Unless you're a pro or somehow NEED HD FPV then a "normal" FPV system is just fine and much cheaper. Put good antennas on it and you can easily exceed the operational distance of the Phantom itself (several km). Check my stickythread in the FPV forum for parts list, links, prices and you'll see what I mean. a 400-600mW transmitter with premium antennas will have you flying long distances with perfectly good FPV feed

QYV,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at your list and put together a shopping list. I'm not sure how to boost the stock 2.4 control but I haven't looked at your list yet. I'll post a shopping list when I'm done for your purview. Any online source to look out for and avoid ?
I'm not sure how to train. I live in an area where anything like this will be shot down by pot growers and have had one threat already while training in my front yard.

tsy98dh said:
QYV,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at your list and put together a shopping list. I'm not sure how to boost the stock 2.4 control but I haven't looked at your list yet. I'll post a shopping list when I'm done for your purview. Any online source to look out for and avoid ?
I'm not sure how to train. I live in an area where anything like this will be shot down by pot growers and have had one threat already while training in my front yard.

lol wow I can't help you avoid getting shot down but I can help with FPV :) all those links I posted in the thread are reputable and people order from them all the time.

the stickythread I referred you to is regarding FPV only - didn't have anything to do with extending the range of the RC. It is possible, it's just a tad tricky you have to upgrade the antenna on the transmitter (RC). opening up the transmitter is easy, but the plug on the antenna board is covered in sticky goo, and you have to be EXTREMELY careful when removing the goo as it's very easy to damage the port. I personally ruined the port the first time I tried, luckily I had purchased a backup RC (model# DJ6) so when I tried the 2nd time I was way more careful and it went fine.
This video will show you what I'm talking about removing the gunk. the video takes over half an hour, the time I did it successfully it took me about 10 mins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BfMFmRiWM4

after that, you need a cable and an antenna. of course I went back to FPVLR since he makes the best stuff, here are the 2 parts you need from him:
cable: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=101
antenna: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=107

here is the link where I purchased my replacement DJ6 RC from dslrproswholesale $25: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-2-D ... 1313822898

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20