Need a simple device (ie, servo) to release a parachute toy

Reaction score
I'm buying the P2 Vision+ in a couple weeks and I'd like to have the ability to release a parachute toy at 300-400 feet and have some kids chase after it. I have 2 nephews who are age 5 and 7 and thought this would be a cool way for them to enjoy some Phantom fun without simply standing there and watch me fly it.

Does anyone make a really simple servo or similar device that I can operate with it's own keyfob-sized transmitter?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Re: Need a simple device (ie, servo) to release a parachute

Buy a reel of kite string.
Make a loop holder for your toy. Tie a slip knot to the holder and loop it over the bird's leg.
When the string is taught, the knot is pulled loose and thus drops the toy.

And of course, you could always use the servo method.
Just get a simple one that works on the same frequencies as the controller.
Add a switch. But I'd have a hobby shop do the work to make it work.

It's very easy to connect a servo to your F2 , which can then be manipulated with the 7th channel control (same thing you'd use to tilt a gimbal).
but rigging up the servo to release an object might take some ingenuity.

Gizmo3000 said:
It's very easy to connect a servo to your F2 , which can then be manipulated with the 7th channel control (same thing you'd use to tilt a gimbal).

I wasn't sure if the P2V+ outputs the X1 channel on the F2 port like the other models, but if it does then something like this should work: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFLA405

OI Photography said:
Gizmo3000 said:

I wasn't sure if the P2V+ outputs the X1 channel on the F2 port like the other models, but if it does then something like this should work: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFLA405

Can't help but wonder if we are "aiding and abetting" here with the desire to "release a 'toy'" for a person who has been a member of this forum for all of 23 hours.

I recall a few "new" folks in this forum not so long ago who were posting frantically asking how they could "deliver and drop medicine" from the sky using the stock controller.

Only takes one.....

Don't be so quick to judge, releasing something from the air probably crossed each of our minds at some point (it certainly did for me) without any ill intent. If one wants to do something bad with a quad, you don't need to release anything, you would just tape whatever payload you want and ram the entire setup over. Actually, forget quads, there are way easier and cheaper ways to do bad things...

damoncooper said:
Can't help but wonder if we are "aiding and abetting" here with the desire to "release a 'toy'" for a person who has been a member of this forum for all of 23 hours.

I recall a few "new" folks in this forum not so long ago who were posting frantically asking how they could "deliver and drop medicine" from the sky using the stock controller.

Only takes one.....

Interesting how your paranoid mind instantly uses words like "aiding and abetting" when I'm describing a parachute toy.

Maybe I need to use my extensive background in law enforcement to snoop around in your files and see what kind of criminal activity you're up to, hmm?

You've been warned....

macheung said:
Don't be so quick to judge, releasing something from the air probably crossed each of our minds at some point (it certainly did for me) without any ill intent. If one wants to do something bad with a quad, you don't need to release anything, you would just tape whatever payload you want and ram the entire setup over. Actually, forget quads, there are way easier and cheaper ways to do bad things...

Yes, I'd say this "Damon-pooper" is the kind of guy who is up to no good with drones if he automatically assumes other people are dropping things from the sky with ill intent.

He seems like the kind of creep who's mug shot shows up on the local evening news eventually. I notice he lives in Boston --- maybe he was one of the bomber accomplices who got away? Sounds like I need to contact my friend at the FBI and have some boys in dark Yukons pay him a visit.

Mad Mitchie 88 said:
I notice he lives in Boston

I for one would be inclined to cut anybody from there a little slack right now when it comes to things like that.

But either way, chest-thumping isn't necessary, and threats (idle or otherwise) don't fly here.

I'm confident everyone here can discuss this subject without it getting off track in to anything personal.

Mad Mitchie 88 said:
I'm buying the P2 Vision+ in a couple weeks and I'd like to have the ability to release a parachute toy at 300-400 feet and have some kids chase after it. I have 2 nephews who are age 5 and 7 and thought this would be a cool way for them to enjoy some Phantom fun without simply standing there and watch me fly it.

Does anyone make a really simple servo or similar device that I can operate with it's own keyfob-sized transmitter?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps something from erector sets.

damoncooper said:
OI Photography said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Only takes one.....

First thing I thought was bomb that the op wanted to drop. But that would he a stretch.

Calm down people! Only a true phantom pilot has the total lack of DIY skills needed not to figure out, that the tilt mechanism in the P2V in it self is a servo that can easily be used to release a payload.

Heres a simple idea for a simple purpose.

Build a flat surface between Phantoms legs. Put the toy on to it and once your in the air and in the desired location... have a little minigame for yourself trying to drop it down by manouvering your Phantom.

Here is a servo kit by Erector as I suggested above. You guys should be aware that are hobby started with erector and the little electric motors that allowed kids in the '50s and '60s to make elevators and conveyors. Little electric motors have come a looong way.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-73-servo-erector-set.aspx

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl