Need a practice copter before I buy a Phantom 2

Reaction score
I started this new post since the other one is irrelevant now.

I got the book "Buying and Flying the Phantom". I guess I really should buy a toy copter to get the basic idea about the controls. I looked online at Walmart... and found the following.

$90 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/AZ-IMPORT-TRA ... d/37932289

$58 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microgear-2.- ... e/42724926

$49 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microgear-2.- ... w/42744005

$44 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/37473064?www= ... irect=true

Will any of these be worth buying and practice on, then it will give me enough practice to know how to handle the Phantom? or any other recommendation?
I am leaning towards the $44 item because its the only one with reviews, 6 out of 7 like this one. But I also might want the $49 item since it looks like a Mini-Phantom (but no reviews)

I'd rather crash a $50 toy and buy and other one than crash a $800 item and end up cussing!

i really wouldn't bother. I bought a cheap quadcopter before my Phantom, & the difference between them was so much it wasn't worth it. Just buy a Phantom, read the manual & find a nice big open area to practise

I've found the phantom easy to fly. That's not to say that the time spent flying other quads and some helis hasn't been in vain. I think it has been useful and I think if you can at least have a go on cheap quad it will help. I've recently bought a little x4 quad to fly around hotel rooms as I work away from home a lot. Hopefully that's going to help with my skills and will stop me firing up phantom where I shouldn't!

Flying the Phantom is "easy". However I flew helis and planes before.
My Son never flew before and I gave him the Phantom to fly. He was ok at it once in the air but was a bit rough on the throttle - resulting on tipovers at landing.
I would definitely recommend flying a toy quad before like the CX10 (the non headless one). Costs less than USD 20.
Great thing is you fly inside and controls are the same than the Phantom. Learn throttle managment (some learn quickly others take a lttle longer) as well as all orientations.
Once you can fly that, you can fly the Phantom confidently. A. I've learned to improve "funnels" which comes in handy on the Phantom.
Here's a video of me practicing with the CX10.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naO3zHX3URs[/youtube]

I bought a Syma X5c from Amazon to learn. It was difficult to maneuver. I said screw it, bought the Phantom 2 and am flying weekly. I go through a few exercises weekly to improve my skill level, but the Phantom 2 is 1000x easier than flying a toy quad, IMO. The Phantom 2 has GPS, which it uses to hover in place.

The Phantom is easier to fly than any toy or "trainer" quad.
Its ease of use gets some flyers in trouble because they get too adventurous too soon and run into trouble with obstacles or getting out of sight before they have the experience to deal with such things.

How about a Hubsan x4. It`s harder to fly but thats only because the Phantom is so easy. It`s still not difficult plus on windy or rainy days you get a bit of stick time indoors. The x4 is very cheap and the consumable parts, blades,lipos & motors are refreshingly inexpensive , not like some other companies i could mention :roll:
Good fun and if you lose it it`s not the end of the world as it retails around $35.99.Check them out on YouTube.

http://us.banggood.com/wh_buy/Usa/Hubsan-x4.html

I do suggest flying a cheaper quad first. The Phantoms are easier to fly but you need to get your mind wrapped around what to do with
the sticks. That takes time. Your first listing was for a V262 from Walmart at $90. You can get that at xheli.com for about $65 plus shipping. I have two of them and basically like them. They are large with foam protector and easy to see. Only drawback is they use brushed motors which do have a limited life but motors are cheap.

Monte55 said:
I do suggest flying a cheaper quad first. The Phantoms are easier to fly but you need to get your mind wrapped around what to do with
the sticks. That takes time. Your first listing was for a V262 from Walmart at $90. You can get that at xheli.com for about $65 plus shipping. I have two of them and basically like them. They are large with foam protector and easy to see. Only drawback is they use brushed motors which do have a limited life but motors are cheap.

+1

The real trick to flying anything RC is orientation. When the craft is flying nose towards you the sticks essentially work backwards.. and you want your brain to be able to make that switch automatically - which happens with practice.

If you can fly an inexpensive toy quad around in all orientations... going to a Phantom will be super easy because the Phantom can stay put by itself (until you get your bearings) and, if you have it turned on... can even return to home if you lose orientation by switching on Home Lock.

Even so - I suggest people get comfortable flying in all orientations because if you need to switch to atti - those skills are invaluable.

I agree with people who say you'll be able to learn on the Phantom - it is THE easiest bird to fly I have ever owned. However it's also $1000-$2000 worth of equipment - so being able to handle it in all situations takes practice that you MIGHT want to do on a sub one hundred dollar bird :)

If I haven't flown for awhile with my Phantom, I will take one of my ...harder to fly cheaper quads..out to get my mind right..COOL HAND LUKE. If I can fly that, flying the Phantom will be easy but there is so much more to know about flying a Phantom because it has more modes of operation. Understanding that is the hardest part. I did a self video of me walking out to my rural mailbox getting mail. I flew as I walked. I put in one spot and let it hover in gps as the gopro watched me get my mail. No hands on sticks during that. Cool is what I say.

Anyone can fly a Phantom. Not anyone can react correctly when one gets brave and gets too close to something while turned anything other than "tail in"

Get a practice quad and fly the crap out of it. Don't waste your time with a mini indoor tiny thing. The break quickly and the battery does not last long enough to enjoy it. Consider a Latraxx Alias. Blade 180 qx. Blade nanoQX. ...

I have a friend who felt the same way as you. I was told the Syma X5C-1 is close in feel to the Phantoms. I forget who told me, so I can't give credit, but he also had a real good reason for buying it: It looks like the Phantom and he was always having people wanting to fly hi Phantom, so he gave them his $60 Syma to fly, instead.

I purchased it for him through Amazon.com. (Great return policy). Buy some extra batteries as the flight time is shorter. Also, apparently a new model has come out and that must be the 1 on the X5C-1. Or, it is advertising hype. I paid more for one with 5 extra batteries.

Plus, he wants me to fly it first, to dial it in. What a deal! M(If I get my money back!). It has a HD camera, comes with a 2GB mini SD card, but accepts up to 32GB. I bought him the 32GB card.

But, I might have gotten taken as I failed to check the battery prices. But, I did so as all that I could find (on Amazon) had a long ship date. Maybe you can find a Hobby store with one in stock as this one won't arrive until late Feb. or early March.

In fact, if anyone know a dealer that has them in stock, let us both know as I might cancel this order if it hasn't shipped.

EDIT: mToo late for me as it has shipped. Probably on a slow boat from China! But, I have seen items arrive much faster than the projected date.

Can't beat the Hubsan X4 for cheap quad flying, pretty good in skilled hands on expert mode.

MY first quad my the phantom. Flew with FPV right from the start. A few months ago I got a estes nano quad. This thing is tiny and way harder to fly than the P2. I find it doesn't help me fly my at all. But it sure is fun and my son enjoys it too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav