Need a little help with what to buy.

P4 or Mavic Pro

• Mavic Pro

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • P4

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
So i'm either going to buy the P4 or Mavic pro, I'm not sure which one, I'm kinda leaning towards the P4, the portability of the Mavic is nice but its not a huge factor in my buying decision as I don't mind lugging my P3S around. What makes the Mavic better than the P4 besides the small size?? It seems like the Mavic pro is all the rage these days but I don't know if I like the transmitter that comes with it, I prefer to use a Tablet and I like the feel of a traditional Transmitter.

Some insightful input would be nice to help me decide which one i'm going to purchase.

Last edited:
Haven't got either, but have spoken to a UAV flight instructor who has, he says the downfall of Mavic is that after about 300ft you can't see it because it's small, also you get a fisheye effect with the camera.

No idea about the Mavic and I would never buy one. I have a P4 which is a massive improvement on the PS3 (my first one), it is a solid platform that has been around long enough to have a pretty good reputation, lots of accessories and more than enough range for the average punter. If you want more distance, there are a number of options such as the FPVLR unboosted set that is more than enough for me. I love my P4 xoxox....

P4 is very easy to use , very reliable, and rock solid ....1.5+million ft and still loving every minute i send it up

Haven't got either, but have spoken to a UAV flight instructor who has, he says the downfall of Mavic is that after about 300ft you can't see it because it's small, also you get a fisheye effect with the camera.
You don't get fisheye effect with the Mavic camera

The Mavic camera has a narrower field of view than the Phantom, so I'd say fish eye is less.

Had a P4P now have a Mavic. P4P was great but since I tend to go places to drone instead of staying at home, it was kind of a hassle to move it around. Mavic is excellent for travel the flight performance is very comparable even on a windy day. Not sure about the picture quality of the P4 but the P4P was great, however myself not being an experienced photographer or videographer I am sure it would take me months to realize the full potential. The Mavic has much of the camera capability and a really good picture and will fit every need I could have, (the fisheye is probably from people not taking off the clear gimbal cover, flying with this cover on is not recommended by DJI)
Bottom line; if you plan to use it everywhere; Mavic. If you're a homebody and only plan to use it local, I would pic the P4. All other considerations are pretty much a wash in my humble option.

And there are attachments to use and IPad, I just ordered one for my IPad Air 2. And I like the feel of the Mavic controller, feels like a really good gaming controller.

Last edited:
He doesn't sound like a good source for information.
When unfolded, the Mavic is almost as big as the Phantom 4 (335mm vs 350mm) and it's dark colour makes it show well against the sky.
Phantom's haven't had fisheye lenses since the P2V+ a few years back.
The Mavic has a rectilinear wideangle which has a slightly narrower field of view than the Phantoms so it's even further away from fisheye.

Just got my p4 as well and i love it..and if the rumours are true about an upcoming firmware update to give the p4 tripod mode ect then i would go for the phantom

Sent from my LG-H815 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ugh its tough, its almost a wash either way, either way im going to get a good quadcopter. After thinking about it more im leaning a little bit towards the Mavic since I will be moving in a while to Portland, I want to be able to put it in a backpack and just go and not be noticeable like a big phantom would be.

I flew my p4p and I guy came out to fly his mavic. The winds were consistently 17 mph. His was blown around a lot more than mine because of it being lighter. Mine was rock sold at 150 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

To me it's about portability. He said his wife and him were going to travel a lot this summer and wanted a drone compact and easy to carry

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I’m also shopping the Mavic pro vs p4pro so these responses are helpful. I like the fact that one says the iPad attachment is available for the Mac since I enjoy using my iPad for my current ps3. I’m still leaning slightly toward p4p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr