Necessary to update firmware on new P3?

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it really necessary to go through the process to update the firmware on the aircraft and controller, for a new P3 Advanced? if the App says latest firmware is installed, should you still update the aircraft and controller?

The DJI GO app will prompt you if there is a new firmware update to install. At that point, it's up to you whether or not you decide to install it. You are not required to install firmware updates. If you decide to proceed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

msinger is correct.... that being said in my view, the big update debate is whether the new update has "unwanted" items.... such as new No Fly Zones or GeoFencing around certain areas rendering some owners unable to fly (even indoors) on their own property. Certainly some No Fly Zones are common sense, but some Phantom owners have actually downgraded to previous versions due to the feeling (or reality?) of DJI's overreaching flight limitations.

The DJI GO app will show the firmware version installed on the Phantom and the remote controller. It does not show the battery firmware though.

DJI-GO-About.jpg

Upon further research and talking with DJI, I am understanding that the firmware status, as displayed in the App, ONLY tells you what the controller firmware is and NOT what firmware is on the aircraft. I am understanding that I need to update the firmware on the aircraft before the first flight. Also, can I update right to the firmware version 1.6 or do I need to step up each version sequentially?

Jamsta, the latest version of the DJI GO app will show the firmware installed on both the Phantom and remote controller in the "About" section of the DJI GO app. If you already have version 1.3.2 or higher installed, then you can go directly to 1.6. You can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

OK I am totally confused here because DJI said the firmware status as shown in the app does not show the status of the aircraft firmware... just the controller. Are they confused?

The DJI GO app will prompt you if you need to install new firmware on the Phantom, remote controller, and/or batteries. If you don't see a message, then you should have the latest version installed all around. You can certainly confirm in the "About" screen of the DJI GO app though.

OK will do. The gal I talked to must have been confused then? So, out of the box, I will rely strictly on the app to tell me if firmware update is needed on aircraft, batteries, or rc. Right? Also, do you think it's necessary to perform IMU and rc calibration for a new unit out of the box?

Yes, the DJI GO app will tell you.

You should do all of the calibrations before flying. See the last step here.

OK I am totally confused here because DJI said the firmware status as shown in the app does not show the status of the aircraft firmware... just the controller. Are they confused?
If I owned DJI it would be a requirement that every employee actually fly one battery's worth every day. Just imagine how good support would be.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it really necessary to go through the process to update the firmware on the aircraft and controller, for a new P3 Advanced? if the App says latest firmware is installed, should you still update the aircraft and controller?

I can tell you that after I updated my Phantom 3 to the newest firmware I had bad camera issues. The video would only work part of the time. I even commented on a thread on this forum about another owner having similar issues. I have downgraded the firmware to the version released in November of 2015 and now I am back up and running again. Obviously everyone isn't having issues with the latest firmware, but I will not upgrade again until a new version is released.

Reactions: msinger
My neighbor has a P3 Pro that he bought about a month after I bought mine. He is still using FW v 1.19 with his unit. Me I upgrade each and every time. I understand your question makes reference to the P3 Advanced, but anyhow the neighbor is doing just fine. I joke around with him from time to time telling him someday he will have a rare and sought out item on ebay.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4