Nearly lost my Phantom

Reaction score
So I was out this morning doing some more range testing, my previous best was slightly over a mile at 5284ft with a completely stock p3s. I picked up a $7 windsurfer and figured I'd give it a try lol I was heading out when all of a sudden a sandhill crane nearly mid air collisioned my drone lol. These are very big birds as anyone that knows about cranes can attest. During this time of year we get alot of birds migrating south and they hang out in the alfalfa and chile fields around me. What's funny is a little while after the near miss you can hear one making their squaking noise, now that of course is being picked up on the tabs mic as the quad had no mic but in the video it's like it's chasing the drone yelling at it for nearly hitting it lmao even though no more birds were near the drone it just appears that way haha good news though broke my record with 5487ft and still had plenty of bars as the end of the video shows, so windsurfers definitely help for just a few bucks lol hope you enjoyed the crazy near miss vid.

Hey ghost! New user and new to the forum. Can I ask what app you are using and which ones do you prefer? You thanks! Nice bird. (No, the other one) Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey ghost! New user and new to the forum. Can I ask what app you are using and which ones do you prefer? You thanks! Nice bird. (No, the other one) Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Welcome to the forums :) the app is litchi, I use it more than dji go app, they are both nice apps litchi has a few more features that I enjoy so I usually use litchi

Why do you have your shutter speed set to 1/5000 of a sec with an iso of 100?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Good question as I have no answer lol I know zip about cameras so everything is just set on auto. Definitely want to start learning cause this photography stuff is loads of fun but yeah I know ziltch about what to set any settings on let alone what they do so I leave it on auto lol

Kinda bummed I forgot to hit record button b4 flying off, it would have definitely been a nicer quality vid than the screen recorder on my tab, but I'm definitely not going to hope for another close call like that just to get a better video lol :D

You don't want to know how many times I have been on site acting with a part 107 and getting paid .. and forgotten to do that. Sad part is Litchi does this automatically, Go app does not and I still forget.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Great video, but I must say the bird's (real one) collision avoidance system has worked great. By the way, he's got something in his mouth, probably got it out of the river. Let's hope he got a permission from the fishery authority.

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
Great video, but I must say the bird's (real one) collision avoidance system has worked great. By the way, he's got something in his mouth, probably got it out of the river. Let's hope he got a permission from the fishery authority.
Yup his collision avoidance system saved the day because I didn't even see it till it was right in front of the camera so my collision avoidance system was out to lunch it seems lol I really need to make a sun shade already if I would have been able to see it like it is in the vid I would have had plenty of time to move but sun glare on the screen is horrible. Nice observation on something in his mouth I totally didn't see that, gonna have to watch again in slow mo lol

Lol awesome video mate. So glad you got the bird back... your one.. not the other lol but wow.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thx :) yeah it was a good flight, got some cool footage lol and broke my distance record lol if only I had hit record on the camera, would have made such a cleaner picture than the shields screen recorder lol

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thx :) yeah it was a good flight, got some cool footage lol and broke my distance record lol if only I had hit record on the camera, would have made such a cleaner picture than the shields screen recorder lol
Not a problem as now you know it can be done you can do it again lol. By the way their is an option in litchi where it will automatically record as soon as you fly. It saved me so many times as I forget to hit record too lol

1481562000445.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik