Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Kg1962

My god! never been so scared, nearly lost my new P4 out in the River Dee last night just off West Kirby.
    My fault (obviously) critical low battery, RTH and then didn't realise optical sensors switched off due to the poor light at 1930 hrs, therefore it knocked off RTH and I was down to 2% battery and it tried to land in the middle of the Dee about 300m out, finally managed to retrieve it manually when about 4m from a watery and muddy grave.... and get it back to me on 1%. So bloody scarey !!!!
    A lesson (or two) learned !!!

Rgds
    K+

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

#1 Kg1962, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. 4wd

4wd

Unless its some special challenge you want to be more or less home at first battery warning, the last 30% or so is not to be relied on and can drop away unpredictably at best of times

3. Mark The Droner

Yes. The other day, my AC went into auto-land at 27%. Needless to say, that battery is now retired...

4. snowghost

How many cycles on the battery?

5. KingDad1985

I changed my battery warning to 20 percent the other day. It's going back to 30 percent.

6. Mark The Droner

37. It was an aftermarket. Perfectly balanced cells and higher than rated mAh. I think the problem was slight swelling due which was caused because I didn't know it didn't have auto-discharge so I left it at full charge and didn't touch it for three weeks last winter. So the other day the temp went from 14 C at launch to 45C after 14 mins and then 48C the last minute as it landed.

7. Michael Judd

Another reason to have it set to "smart rth"

8. Emu

Emu

Hi all,
    I am wondering if you placed a tile on the Phantom if it would help find it. The Bluetooth Tile has a range of 30 meters and has a 90db beep if it is pinged on an app on your phone. The thing I would worry about is the Bluetooth frequency interfering with the drone - any thoughts?

Stevie_UK likes this.
  9. Emu

Emu

Here is an update.... I bought a packet of 4 Tiles. I put one on my P4 and did a fly around to make sure there was no interference. I landed it and shut down the P4. I opened the Tile app and pressed find my tile. It played a tune and I could easily hear it from around 20 meters away. Once i walked out of range it still seemed to detect the tile in the area but couldn't make it chime. When I walked further away needless to say the signal was lost.
    I am pretty happy with the result as I know that I could get within range from a GPS location.

10. Sky Pirate

Were you using the 'Slim Tile' or the 'Mini Tile'?

Mancity likes this.
  11. Emu

Emu

I am using the original one. Going by the specs it is the loudest... and I haven't come across the others here in Australia

12. Sky Pirate

13. Emu

Emu

Now all we have to do is convince them to say ...or your Phantom either - we will replace it no questions asked!