Near screw-up with GS....

Reaction score
This was totally my fault, but I did learn a few things. Like alot of you, I've been playing around with GS and enjoying watching my V+ fly autonomously. At our flying field we have a nice covered pavilion with open sides. While I was under the roof (easier to see the smart phone in the shade) setting waypoints in the app, I put the V+ on the table beside me. BTW, I've noticed one significant change with the new app; previously, if I turned on the controller and wifi extender, I could connect my phone to the vision's wifi regardless of whether the phantom itself was turned on. Now, the network does not show up, period until I turn the quad on. Is that everyone else's experience?

Anyway, when I finished the waypoints, my thinking was that I'd take the quad a few feet away, with clear sky above and let it get GPS lock as usual. As I finished the waypoints, I was surprised to see that the app was reporting 7 or 8 satellites and I was getting the normal slow green flashing from the V+. Again, while this was happening, the V+ was under the pavilion with only a partial view of the sky and no view directly over head. Thinking all was well, I took the V+ out on the runway and hit "go."

The quad lifted off as normal and started off in the general direction of the first waypoint. Early on I had an uneasy feeling and got really concerned when it was obvious the V+ had gone WAY past the first waypoint...some 300 yards or so out. It then appeared to slow down and maybe stop (hard to tell at that distance.) At this point I was fairly panicked and aborted the mission. Fortunately, since I couldn't be sure of orientation at that distance, home lock worked and I flew the V+ back without incident.

Clearly, this was my fault for not setting the V+ down under an open sky whilst I fiddled with the waypoints. I am somewhat surprised that it nevertheless indicated good GPS lock anyway. I don't know what role if any my moving it 30 feet or so to its launch point played, but clearly the GS was "confused." Afterward, I set it up properly and flew another flawless, but short mission. BTW, has anyone gotten their V+ plus to auto land after a mission? Mine comes home and just hovers until I land it myself.

happydays said:
Rebelvis said:
BTW, has anyone gotten their V+ plus to auto land after a mission? Mine comes home and just hovers until I land it myself.

Mine does the same, doesn't auto land. Just sits there grinning away.

From what I read in the manual, that is what suppose to happen unless you abort the mission or it goes into fail safe mode. I haven't had the chance to try GS yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20