Near miss

The pilot focused on his landing (notice that they were 500 ft agl) and he sees a drone 1600 ft away, doesn't even say where it was in relation to the aircraft! If you aren't continuously watching your drone, how easy is it to require the bird when it is 1600 ft (500 m) away? IMO, pilots are starting to get conditioned to expect to see drones and anything that they see in the air is automatically assumed to be a drone. Interestingly, the response of the authorities is "let's register all drones!". Not sure how that would help since they couldn't find this guy. Just putting a number on a bird doesn't make it easier to find. Interesting that 2 military aircraft that passed within 300 ft of each other get an "oh, by the way" mention at the end of the article.

A pilot friend of mine (UK) when asked about reporting near misses told me that anything within a mile is considered a near miss. How the hell you measure or estimate a mile when flying is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm guessing it may show up on the plane radar. But I do agree with you on this tho

Neon Euc
Not unless the drone had some very expensive equipment installed. Planes don't pick up other aircraft on the radar unless it has the equipment installed to transmit it's location to other aircraft. It's not the aircraft but the signal "ping" the equipment gives off that says, "Hey I'm over here... I'm flying this fast at this altitude"

I'm guessing it may show up on the plane radar. But I do agree with you on this tho

If it did, it would pick up birds, small balloons, etc. In that case, they would not know it was a done and be able to say it was a white quad copter. No... they stated that they saw it and gave a description of what they saw.

If the FAA ever complains that I'm flying out of VLOS, I feel like citing this pilots claims.

To the situation in mentioned in this post;
"But it added that "on this occasion the drone had passed sufficiently clear such that there was no risk of collision".

So the complaint is that the person was operating in violation of the law but it did not pose a threat to the plane.

My Near Miss
I was flying my Phantom 4 over Lake Conroe, TX, on Jan 30, 2017, between 150-200 feet when I heard a small plane approaching. It was just luck that I was able to record the plane nearly missing my quad copter.
The video clearly shows the small plane at a lower altitude than my Phantom. Too many times, we recreational pilots are blamed for reckless flights, but as one can see from the video, this pilot was not following safe practices.
He continued to make several passes over the lake at just above tree-top level.
I was over the lake at these coordinates: 30.384729, -95.599380
Take a look and tell me what you think.

Dennis Frantz

http://www.dennisfrantz.com/start/nearMiss.html

Dennis,

Wow. Usually when somebody says they saw an aircraft below them it's some fuzzy video and the plane is a half mile away.

Yours was dead center!!

AD

Plane has right-of-way always and over water the plane can fly as low as they want so long as they aren't endangering anyone.

So glad this turned out uneventful for everyone.

Reactions: TheKestrel
Plane has right-of-way always and over water the plane can fly as low as they want so long as they aren't endangering anyone.

So glad this turned out uneventful for everyone.

Having the right-of-way could have killed this pilot if he had run into my drone. He could have been dead right.

Having the right-of-way could have killed this pilot if he had run into my drone. He could have been dead right.

I fully agree with you. Many times "Exercising" you right-of-way can be the painful route.

Dennis,

Wow. Usually when somebody says they saw an aircraft below them it's some fuzzy video and the plane is a half mile away.

Yours was dead center!!

AD
It was pure luck, that I got the shot. The plane really surprised me as he came over the trees at a dangerously low altitude. I always thought that the odds of a mid-air collision were extremely low, but that incident sure changed my mind.

That's not how it works

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Interesting comment - radar is radar so should - theoretically, 'paint' other a/c. So I did a search and found :-

Weather radars, like the traffic control radars which track aircraft, "see" airplanes but are programmed not to display them. Today's weather radar images are highly processed, computer generated representations of the targets being scanned. In a previous era, radar data was displayed directly on green colored cathode ray tubes and airplane blips often did show up. Today, says Ken Richards, master instructor of NEXRAD Doppler weather radar maintenance at the National Weather Service Training Center in Kansas City, images are digitized. That means computer "algorithms" have been developed to tell the radar what to display. Targets moving faster than typical weather features are eliminated. Ground clutter resulting from fixed objects like buildings, are largely eliminated on current systems too, says Richards. An image from the radar is captured on a precipitation-free day and stored. A computer cancels stationary features on images which follow. False echoes, which result from temperature inversions--called anomalous propagation--still show up. New algorithms are being developed to reduce this form of clutter in the near future.

There you go.;)

I'll send you the bill :)

Dennis,

Yours was dead center!!

AD
I have footage from Vieques of a biplane exactly the same (I was only 100 feet up over water but they were coming in to an airport not far away) My immediate reaction especially after the all medivacs in my area is to quickly descend. I believe this is the only sure way to avoid a problem.

Interesting comment - radar is radar so should - theoretically, 'paint' other a/c. So I did a search and found :-

Weather radars, like the traffic control radars which track aircraft, "see" airplanes but are programmed not to display them. Today's weather radar images are highly processed, computer generated representations of the targets being scanned. In a previous era, radar data was displayed directly on green colored cathode ray tubes and airplane blips often did show up. Today, says Ken Richards, master instructor of NEXRAD Doppler weather radar maintenance at the National Weather Service Training Center in Kansas City, images are digitized. That means computer "algorithms" have been developed to tell the radar what to display. Targets moving faster than typical weather features are eliminated. Ground clutter resulting from fixed objects like buildings, are largely eliminated on current systems too, says Richards. An image from the radar is captured on a precipitation-free day and stored. A computer cancels stationary features on images which follow. False echoes, which result from temperature inversions--called anomalous propagation--still show up. New algorithms are being developed to reduce this form of clutter in the near future.

There you go.;)

I'll send you the bill :)

You're talking about VERY different technologies. Civil Aviation aircraft detection sends out a very specific signaling system(ADS–B) and uses GPS location to "locate" aircraft on the map. Weather RADAR is designed/programmed to eliminate certain objects. There are millions of small "feathered" objects that are the same size as our sUAS and can you imagine the clutter on the screen if this was allowed to be "seen"?

Most control towers use "Secondary" RADAR which instead of just listening for the basic RADAR echo/return it utilizes a 2-way communication with the sender (tower) and aircraft. The RADAR sends a signal to the aircraft and then the aircraft's transponder generates a coded "return signal" which has details about the aircraft.

There are 2 major limitations to RADAR when talking about sUAS use.
1) flying below the RADAR - This is named after a true phenomenon, Dr Brooker explains.

"It is caused by the interaction of the radar beam with the ground, which results in the beam 'lifting' off the horizon. If an aircraft is flying low enough, the beam hardly illuminates it and the range at which it can be seen is limited." We fly our sUAS very close to the ground (relatively speaking in terms of aviation) so we could remain in this "lifted beam" area the whole flight.

2) RADAR Blind - the larger and more "metallic" the skin of the aircraft is the more RADAR reflective it is. Composites, Carbon Fiber and other light weight materials (which we use in our sUAS) give a very minimal Electromagnetic "Bounce" and can become almost invisible to traditional RADAR services.

There is no radar or EVEN a radio required in a Aircraft. 6 basic instruments.
Rpm gauge, oil temp & oil pressure. Flight instruments Compass, Airspeed indicator & altimeter . The same thing with a Helicopter that can fly all day at 50 feet as long as if his engine quits he can do a safe autorotation without causing UNDO harm to people or property on the ground !!!!!!! Most think Aircraft has flight plans & need radars & more.
THEY DO NOT !!!!!! Airplanes do have altitude restrictions but not for takeoff & landing & it's to much to list the regs here !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj