ND filters

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Where do you guys get your ND filters from? Any particular brand that is recommended?

Thank you guys!

I compared many of the commonly used filters here.

Reactions: Swifteagle
Hi Everyone,

Where do you guys get your ND filters from? Any particular brand that is recommended?

Thank you guys!

I've had a great experience using this set from PhantomFilters.com
What I like about these is the optics are great and they fit into the stock camera lens cover so no addition weight is added to the front of the camera.

upload_2016-8-8_7-53-58.png

they fit into the stock camera lens cover so no addition weight is added to the front of the camera
FWIW, there are screw-on filters that are the same weight as the DJI UV filter. Using those will also result in no added weight on the front of the camera.

Thank you so much for the info... @msinger, excellent thread!

I checked to see if Amazon would deliver to Australia and unfortunately I am out of luck. I did check ebay and came across this Neewer, just wondering if they would be any good. Hopefully they optics are not crap.

Neewer for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced and Standard 37MM Filter Kit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neewer-f...700052?hash=item2cad382994:g:E7oAAOSw6btXTBEg
It would be probably easier for me to buy from ebay and preferably from Hong kong or mainland china. (due to delivery)

Thank you so much for the info... @msinger, excellent thread!

I checked to see if Amazon would deliver to Australia and unfortunately I am out of luck. I did check ebay and came across this Neewer, just wondering if they would be any good. Hopefully they optics are not crap.

Neewer for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced and Standard 37MM Filter Kit
It would be probably easier for me to buy from ebay and preferably from Hong kong or mainland china. (due to delivery)

I created this vid for myself a while back to evaluate my Neewer ND filters. Don't mind the music...just had to add it. Keep in mind pic will vary depending on the type and setting of monitor you are using. I use ND16 a lot for Northern California's bright sunny days. I find that EV meter is close to 0 for the most part. Have not used ND4 (dusk or dawn) & ND32 (very bright such as snow up in Lake Tahoe).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
@Flipsonic

Are those ND filters on your videos the same as the ones on the Ebay link I provided?

Thank you very much for sharing your video.

@Flipsonic

Are those ND filters on your videos the same as the ones on the Ebay link I provided?

Thank you very much for sharing your video.

No. I got the 4 pack from Amazon. ND4,8,16,32.

Neewer® for DJI Phantom 4, DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced, Multi-Coated PL-ND Filter Set: PL-ND4, PL-ND8, PL-ND16, PL-ND32, Made of High Definition Glass, Not for DJI Phantom 3 Standard Amazon.com : Neewer® for DJI Phantom 4, DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced, Multi-Coated PL-ND Filter Set: PL-ND4, PL-ND8, PL-ND16, PL-ND32, Made of High Definition Glass, Not for DJI Phantom 3 Standard : Camera & Photo

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

ND filters are overrated and overused IMO. Especially if you record @60FPS. There might be special circumstances where they make sense, but generally you will get better results using no filter and, if needed, adjust your levels in your video editor.

ND filters used to be popular for photography, to smooth out things like waves or waterfalls. Even for that they are obsolete in the era of photoshop/AE and digital camera's, as you will get better results shooting multiple instances in burst mode and combining the photo's.

Im not saying they serve no purpose, but people seem to buy them thinking putting something in front of their lens will magically increase video or photo quality. It wont.

ND filters are overrated and overused IMO.

I'm beginning to agree. I recently bought Anbee (AFAIK the same as BTG) 3pcs Multi-coated Neutral Density Filter ND4 ND8 ND16 Set. The filters are OK.

I have done a few videos with a shutter speed that is the inverse double of the frame rate. For instance, if the frame rate is 25fps, use a shutter of 1/50s.

Yes, I get motion blur but I'm still not sure whether I prefer the "Saving Private Ryan" stutter/staccato more.

45 degree shutter in Saving Private Ryan

I have bought them only with one purpose, to get smoother video when moving and making videos of moving machines in the field. It can be used only for that, I tought that it would help me to get that extreme bright parts in the video back to color but it does not, they are still sometimes white and post cannot fix it.

I use them always but with simple method, I use only Variable ND, put camera in Manual, 1080p30fps at 1/60 shutter, point the camera to the horizont with half sky-half ground in the screen, move ND filter until EV is 0, put the camera on Auto and fly away, DONE. I just want to avoid shutter over like 1/200 and also high ISO and I get that with this system. Manual mode is a no go for me, I dont have the will, patience or the need for messing with the wheel while flying and making videos.

Conclusion from me as an complete newbie and amateur, ND filter videos really do look better than videos without the filter, especially when I make videos of the machines moving and all around is grass, wheat or whatever.

put camera in Manual, 1080p30fps at 1/60 shutter, point the camera to the horizont with half sky-half ground in the screen, move ND filter until EV is 0, put the camera on Auto and fly away, DONE

I prefer to use DJI GO manual exposure and over exposure "zebra stripes" setting -- set the exposure with the wheel so that there are no zebras on interesting objects.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31